Best players you have seen at BP not OAFC

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 that may not be classed as amazing but really stood out for me over the years are;

Oxlade Chamberlain in the 6-0 Saints win, he ripped us apart.

Jermaine Defoe, only played about 10 minutes but came off the bench for Spurs and bagged within seconds. Pretty sure we were the first team to stop him scoring werent we, when he went on his first loan at Bournemouth?

Best I have seen even though performance at BP wasnt great has to be Gerrard, when he came on the whole of BP just got really nervous and knew he was going to change the game which he nearly did when he rattled the bar. When we knew even he wasnt going to score we knew we had won that game!

Edited by youngen

1 hour ago, OldhamSheridan said:

David Farrell for Peterborough when they leathered us 4-1. He was so much better than McNiven it actually started to be funny.

After that performance I always wanted to sign him. Werent we rumoured to be in for him once also?

21 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I enjoyed watching Paul Merson for Arsenal in a game at BP in the 1st division. I recall watching him cut inside Andy Barlow or Glynn Snodin and curl one with the outside if his right foot onto the inside if Hallworth's post, in near enough one movement.... it rebounded away thankfully. Think it was the same game Ian Wright spat at fans walking up the tunnel. Ended 1-1.

Found it. It's actually Jobson he turns inside out.....

Not at BP, but Steve McManaman in the opening of game for Liverpool at Anfield against the  newly promoted Latic team frightened me every time he got the ball.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

Found it. It's actually Jobson he turns inside out.....

Andy Barlow's goal is brilliant. Not just that he bust a gut to get in the box (forgot that actually used to happen) to be on the end of the cross but his movement bought him the space. Better than a lot of strikers we've had recently!

You know I always saw Barlow as a bit of a weak link at the time but the more I watch those old videos back you see what a class player he was and a hell of a threat going forward. I recently watched the littlewoods cup game v Arsenal and despite the excellence of the goals and all round performance from 1-11 that night Barlow was easily MOTM for me.

1 hour ago, boshell4eng said:

It wasn't at BP but Bellamy for Liverpool was class. I didn't realise how quick he was until I saw him live.

Nearly posted that myself earlier after somebody mentioned Dean Saunders. Craig Bellamy was another one who'd run through a brick wall to win.

9 hours ago, youngen said:

2 that may not be classed as amazing but really stood out for me over the years are;

Oxlade Chamberlain in the 6-0 Saints win, he ripped us apart.

Jermaine Defoe, only played about 10 minutes but came off the bench for Spurs and bagged within seconds. Pretty sure we were the first team to stop him scoring werent we, when he went on his first loan at Bournemouth?

Best I have seen even though performance at BP wasnt great has to be Gerrard, when he came on the whole of BP just got really nervous and knew he was going to change the game which he nearly did when he rattled the bar. When we knew even he wasnt going to score we knew we had won that game!

As well as Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ricky Lambert and Adam Lallana were unplayable that day. 

But having the chance to see Gerrard and Suarez at Boundary Park was amazing for someone like me who's only ever seen Latics in League One. Surely there can't have been two better players at Boundary Park in the last twenty years?

4 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Clive Allen in the 1988 FA cup tie on the old plastic. Scored a cracker of a goal and his touch and overall control of the ball were fantastic...to be fair Ozzy and Waddle were not far behind him that day....think we lost 4-2

10 hours ago, OldhamSheridan said:

David Farrell for Peterborough when they leathered us 4-1. He was so much better than McNiven it actually started to be funny.

Wasn't it Paul Jones rather than Mcniven?

In a 3rd round FA Cup in 1967 at BP Latics were leading Wolves 2-0 with minutes to go only to let it slip to 2-2 (we lost the replay 4-1).

Peter Knowles of Wolves was the architect, and even after all this time I remember his brilliant display.