Your favourite Latics signings?

I  go way way back to Bobby Johnstone, then among others there's Alan Groves, Simon Stainrod, Rick Holden, Andy Ritchie, who are your favourite signings?

I include in this loanees like Ripley.

Signing Bobby Johnstone probably excited me at the time more than any since. I couldn't believe we'd actually got him. Since then, Gary Kelly, Paul Futcher, Martin Buchan would be up there for the same reason; I didn't expect us to be able to sign players of that quality.

But the players who probably excited me most once they'd arrived (because I knew little about them beforehand) were Rick Holden and Alan Groves. 

Wow...great question...

My earliest memories of signings go back to Alan Young..

Followed pretty quickly by Vic Halom, John Hurst, Carl Valentine, Simon Stainrod, Kenny Clements, Ryszard Kowenicki, Paul Futcher, Rodger Wylde, Tony Henry, Roger Palmer etc....... I could go on and on..

3 hours ago, GravityGrave said:

I was absolutely buzzing when we signed Corazzin . 

The record £750,000 signing of Ian Olney created quite a buzz,  although some may have thought after he didn't quite live up to his fee.

17 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Someone who made 5 or 6 appearances on loan is your best ever ? Thought he looked tidy to be fair but your favourite? Really ?

It was nice to see some class for the first and last time ha even for them 5-6 matches im sure he had a price tag of a few million also crazy times

I remember being excited when we signed Sean McCarthy, because he'd been banging goals in for fun at Bradford.

Actually Chris Armstrong as well, because we were paying a six figure fee for a very promising player and it looked like a sign of ambition for the club. I recall we were in for Jon Newby at the same time. It felt like we were aiming for players that would take us up the league.