Latics Legend Gordon Lawton Has Died

On 23/06/2017 at 9:08 PM, underdog said:

I know myself and Jorvik like the idea so tba....car park could do with sprucing up a tad

Really good idea, and count me in too. I am sure many more will to.

I tihnk this could be a crowdfunding initiative (a free one rather then tifosi) because I am sure many from the wider football world have had the pleasure of dealing with Gordon.

Edited by singe

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, singe said:

Really good idea, and count me in too. I am sure many more will to.

I tihnk this could be a crowdfunding initiative (a free one rather then tifosi) because I am sure many from the wider football world have had the pleasure of dealing with Gordon.

This is what I'm thinking. I need to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's toes first and then see if it's actually viable too. 

5 hours ago, Ackey said:

I'm based in London these days, Chaplain. However, I would love dearly to come up and attend the service if at all possible; please can you confirm ASAP so I can try and make arrangements?

Thanks,

Ack

Gordon's funeral will take place on Tuesday, July 11 at 11.30am at Oldham Parish Church, Rock Street, Oldham, OL1 3UH.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2017/july/04072017-gordon-lawton-funeral-details/

Richard William Holden

June 16 at 2:50pm ·

It is with great sadness that i learn about 'Big Gordy Lawton' and wish his family my sincerest condolences. I will remember him with great affection and amusement and with his ability to deal with all that was thrown at him from the dressing room. He took the stick so well (and gave as good as he got) that he was really a part of that magic dressing room and played a huge part in the success at the club. He was always in the dressing room (particularly on Monday mornings) absorbing the gossip, copping the banter and relaying it to the outside world but always with a sensible discretion. In short we trusted him to be in there with us and we never batted an eye lid when he walked in or if we did like wise and he was sitting there. He was part of our 'Oldham Athletic Family' and it was a time where there wasn't a gap between the players, management and the 'upstairs brigade' You could go to him with a problem- usually tickets or car-parking or a dodgy photo he had taken and he would resolve it for you. He knew his football too and had a few acute observations for us too which we took on board. I kept good friends with him from the day we met until now and I could always ring him with a question a problem or a favour in the years that I had left the club and it was as if I was still a player. The relationship never changed. I will miss you pal. R.I.P. Great memories on of us Latics until the end and still now. See you again one day.

It really hit home how synonymous he was with our club when the recent interviews went up & instinctively I immediately expected to hear Gordy's voice :cry: 

My only dealing with him was writing to the club as a budding 15 year old journalist to see if I could interview our manager & my hero Stitch as part of a workplace initiative with school, and he helped make my dream come true. I even got to meet my favourite player at the time, a certain John Sheridan. Was completely star struck on both counts!!

I still cherish the photos of Stich with his arm round my lanky streak 15 year old self to this day, and still have the interview on tape!! Just the slightest gesture & an hour out of their day made me feel ten feet tall. A real window into what a brilliant, friendly club we support & how Gordy was a massive part of that.

I hope today was a real celebration of his life, RIP Gordy, truly one of a kind. 

2 minutes ago, Chorlton_Latic said:

It really hit home how synonymous he was with our club when the recent interviews went up & instinctively I immediately expected to hear Gordy's voice :cry: 

My only dealing with him was writing to the club as a budding 15 year old journalist to see if I could interview our manager & my hero Stitch as part of a workplace initiative with school, and he helped make my dream come true. I even got to meet my favourite player at the time, a certain John Sheridan. Was completely star struck on both counts!!

I still cherish the photos of Stich with his arm round my lanky streak 15 year old self to this day, and still have the interview on tape!! Just the slightest gesture & an hour out of their day made me feel ten feet tall. A real window into what a brilliant, friendly club we support & how Gordy was a massive part of that.

I hope today was a real celebration of his life, RIP Gordy, truly one of a kind. 

If the official video is anything to go by, it most certainly will have been a celebration. The last piece of commentary at the end of the clip got me I must admit. Such a weird feeling that his voice is just instantly recognisable and related by myself to all things Latics. RIP once again from me, I would back any initiative to have a permanent reminder of him somewhere around the stadium, although the man has already ingrained himself into our football club more than any of us actually truly realised

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Didn't really know Gordon but two episodes stick in my memory. 

Late one midweek night in the Noor Jahan many years ago he passed himself off as Ian Stott to the waiters. I never discovered whether it got him better service or bigger portions.  

At  the time North Stand was being built I had a query about Latics Player so called into the club and Gordon arrived at reception and after answering my question asked if I would like to see the new stand. We walked through to the players tunnel and sat in the dugout gazing at the stand and pitch for a few minutes during which time he asked how long I'd been a supporter. When I said since 1965 his reply was "Well you've seen some shit on here then!" 

As I said I didn't really know him but his humour and obvious love of the club shone through like a beacon.

God Bless Gordy.

... so touching to see the picture that Luke has posted today. I think we've all got a story or experience of Gordon - or Mr Lawton as I've always called him whenever we spoke.

He'd be truly skipping around the club with delight at how Richie & co have been doing, and how in my opinion we're beginning to see that 'spark' of old return to our club.

We've all got favourite players, old and new ... but Mr Lawton was a true Oldham Athletic legend, respected, liked and loved by everyone!

Sleep well big man .. and keep an eye on us because the magic is coming back! 

Edited by thetramfixer

6 hours ago, thetramfixer said:

... so touching to see the picture that Luke has posted today. I think we've all got a story or experience of Gordon - or Mr Lawton as I've always called him whenever we spoke.

He's be truly skipping around the club with delight at how Richie & co have been doing, and how in my opinion we're beginning to see that 'spark' of old return to our club.

We've all got favourite players, old and new ... but Mr Lawton was a true Oldham Athletic legend, respected, liked and loved by everyone!

Sleep well big man .. and keep an eye on us because the magic is coming back! 

Quite interestingly, I'm pretty sure he's said before that Wellens was one of his favourite ever Latics players...