Latics Legend Gordon Lawton Has Died

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very very sad....what a bloke....definitely had blue blood and what a servant to the club.....will be very sorely missed by all and massive condolences to his family and friends..RIP Gordy.

Absolutely gutted to hear of the passing of Gordon, from my early days travelling over from Northern Ireland for games big Gordon was always there with a warm handshake when I arrived. He was the heart and soul of Boundary Park and will be sadly missed by all.

RIP my friend. 

Edited by Fergie

I've sat, staring at this thread, since I heard a few minutes ago. I'm lost for words.

My fleeting time with Latics is well documented, on here of all places, but something that perhaps wasn't so well known was how much Gordy looked after me. He never once said no to a request for help, no matter how big or small it was, he remained the 'voice of Oldham' when I realised I wasn't really cut-out for interviewing footballers, he drove me to and from a multitude of away grounds (in a far less terrifying manner than Roy, who tried to kill us several times), he was just the most wonderfully genuine and warm person I met whilst at the club. 

The term "legend" is banded about too much, as is the phrase "The term "legend" is banded about too much" - but neither have been more apt; he was the soul of that club, for me, and a legend as far more than that; as a person.

And now I'm awkwardly crying in the office. 

Rest In Peace Gordy

Terrible news. You only have to take a quick look at tributes on Twitter to see how well respected he was. People associated with the club from all eras, some who left the club decades ago, expressing their admiration for him.

Gutted. I remember in our summer of turmoil after Chris Moore left, he was absolutely instrumental in organising the legends game that really helped boost the newly-formed trust's coffers, and he worked tirelessly to make sure the day was a success without complaint, and probably at a time when he wasn't sure if he was getting paid or not.

We're a poorer club today.

Big Gordon was the one constant at Latics, while Club directors, secretaries, managers and players have come and gone. He epitomised all that is good about the Club. Mrs S and I used to joke about his appetite when we saw him every time we went in the Italian restaurant pre-match opposite Prenton Park.

It's a real shock to find he is no longer with us. He'll be missed greatly.

Rest in peace Gordon.