Latics Legend Gordon Lawton Has Died

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highly approachable, fantastically biased, and well worn with a sense of humour that comes from supporting a lower league football team. The club has lost one of its most redeeming features and he will be a big, big miss. I hope all that were close to Gordon are okay. Let's give him a proper send off.

24 managers have come and gone, countless players, changes of ownership, directors and even fans. Gordy was an ever present at latics for so long and he epitomised the club in his actions and words. We certainly are poorer today.

Gordy was truly a latics legend. He will be missed.

RIP Gordy.

Been working away a few days landed to find a text from my lad saying Gordon RIP and immediately looked at the club website to find all the fitting tributes to a great servant to the club and proper decent fella. Knew of him from afar as every supporter at the club does until last season started doing an article for the programme so had the pleasure of dealing with the great man!! Loved the club, great sense of humour, always had time for a chat, extremely encouraging and will be impossible to replace at BP.

We need to pay tribute to Gordon at our first home game, he was 63...a minutes applause in the 63rd minute?? Needs to be properly organised so we as fans can all give him a fitting tribute for all he did for the club.

I had the privilege of working with Gordon for a few years. He never had a bad word to say about anybody, and always made himself available to help in anyway.Even after 20 years, he still went out of his way to say hello to anybody that he knew. Terrible loss. Heartfelt condolences to Lorraine and all his family.

The use of "legend" is frequently overused but, in Big Gordy's case, it could not be more apt. After over thirty years' service in various roles with the club he loved so much, Gordon has left a legacy that cannot be replicated.

A lovely man with a willing and witty sense of humour who knew how to make fun of himself, too, Gordon will be missed by so many people. Everyone associated with Oldham Athletic, past and present, will be shocked and saddened at such awful news.

Someone has mentioned a brick in Gordon's honour. I have a feeling there is one already but, if not, it is only right and fitting that the club replace an existing blank brick with a special one in Gordon's name.

Deepest and heartfelt condolences to Gordon's family and friends. RIP big man.

It's hard to add anything here that hasn't already been said.

This is a sad day for the club. I'm also quite sad that he is someone I personally never got to know. At the end of the day I'm just a fan who pays his money to sit in a seat and watch football to escape the humdrum of everyday life. So I don't get to know people like him.

Obviously at a time like this tributes are going to come in but you can tell that these are genuine. Even before he left people on this message board and on social media and elsewhere only ever said good things about him. We know people like to complain and criticise on here (sometimes it's justified) and everyone gets it from the stewards to the player's to Corney. I don't remember anyone really having a bad word to say about big Gordon which says alot really.

You probably get other people like him who work at both this club and others behind the scenes but people like him really are the glue that keep our club together.

This is a sad day for our football club.

RIP Big man

P.S. This might sound a slightly daft question but was that Big Gordon commentating when we beat Man City 1-0?

Edited by GlossopLatic

3 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

Enjoyed many of his outbursts of joy over the years on LaticsPlayer when we've scored in the last minute. 

Sad to hear that he's died. RIP.

You know i was only just thinking that a montage of his famous commentaries would be so good to hear right now .. 

a true legend ... I've always enjoyed our chats over the years, and he was always addressed as "Mr Lawton" .. 

my thoughts are with his family and friends ..   

RIP