Ripley - Still a possibility?

Realistically it's unlikely I know but given Konstantopolous signed a years extension this week and they've tabled a £3m bid for Kieran Westwood at Sheffield Wednesday he's going to be down  the pecking order at Boro.

i know they'll probably want him to build on his experience but would they loan him to a fellow championship club? Or more likely SPL (Robbo) or League One?

personally I think we've a chance...

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Latics and England said:

With what we saw of Ripley last year, the decision to spend £3m on Westwood is ridiculous. Pushing him further away from the 1st team makes no sense to me. They will end up losing someone who could be their number one for years to come.

Couldn't agree more as I've said in another post....

Edited by ajw65

12 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

Realistically it's unlikely I know but given Konstantopolous signed a years extension this week and they've tabled a £3m bid for Kieran Westwood at Sheffield Wednesday he's going to be down  the pecking order at Boro.

i know they'll probably want him to build on his experience but would they loan him to a fellow championship club? Or more likely SPL (Robbo) or League One?

personally I think we've a chance...

Championship clubs are usually well stocked for keepers, so indeed we might have a chance.

I think we all know he is capable of holding is own in the championship. For a new manager and someone who doesn't know the ins and outs of that club yet and faced with the expectation of an immediate return to the PL he would be seen as a risk to some.

I hope we try to move heaven and earth to get him here but at the same time its a risk to us. Do we try chasing him all summer and risk not getting him leaving us with a goalkeeper who we only signed as back up until January or do we sign a couple of goalkeepers anyway and then findout we can get him anyway leaving us with 3 goalkeepers which a club our size doesn't need.

Its not as simple as we think this football manager lark 

Edited by GlossopLatic

12 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The difference between Championship and L1 is so vast, the quality so much higher, they must feel he isn't ready to be put into that.

Yep point just made in another thread shez said recently he thinks he is not reday for it yet.

23 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

Apparently Peterborough are in for him I've  just heard willing to pay all his wages and a loan fee.

bugger...

According to their chairman they aren't after him. Doubt he would go down south when his family are based up north. 

Heard clarke has been in ripleys ear all summer. Hope it works. 

Edited by adamoafc

Would be fantastic if we could get Connor back for another season.Doubtful sadly but can but hope he does come back.I'm looking forwards more than for many years to next season and have a good feeling that we are going in the right direction under Shez.

Call it blind optimism, but I think it might just happen. Been thinking for a while he wouldn't get a look in at Boro, as ludicrous as it may seem having seen what he's capable of. Especially now Monk, who from what I know loves to play the ball from the back with those new fangled sweepy keepy types is there, as if one thing did let him down, it was his distribution.

I have no idea what Connor earns, but if they want to loan him rather than sell him, I don't think it really matters a jot to Middlesborough if someone pays a loan fee/x amount of wages, it'll just be absorbed into the mammoth fees they got from being in the Prem last year.

It's entirely possible he could come back, he even said he'd consider it himself, so I don't know why we do ourselves down thinking there's no chance. If there's no interest from the Championship (again, hard to see Boro wanting a Champ club loaning a keeper from them be first choice) then it does his career no harm to have another spell excelling somewhere where he's loved, has majority of same team mates as last year, settled with area etc - he's 24 and needs to be playing.

On another note - if we knew the club were serious, and the possibility was there for him to be loaned again, I'd certainly back a player share drive to make it happen!!

Edited by Chorlton_Latic

3 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Would Sheff Wed fancy him in part-ex for Westwood?

I guess it all comes down to if they think he fits their profile. I'm his biggest fan, but I can't say for certain how he'd fare in the Championship, not to say he doesn't deserve a crack at it. If he did, I'd imagine it'd be at a lower end of table club initially, rather than Wednesday who will be gunning for promotion again. 

Although he was phenomenal for us, trying to play devils advocate, he's had one truly impressive season in his career, so perhaps prospective buyers feel it could've been a one off and want to see how he fares in another season? I'd also say the way Boro, a club renowned for it's faith in their youth team, have loaned him out to the likes of Motherwell & Latics at 22-23 when these days keepers often break in aged 19-20 seems to suggest that they definitely are in some doubt to his ability, or at best, just don't think he's ready for that league.

In short, just come home for a year Connor, you bloody know it makes sense!!! :OWTB1:

Edited by Chorlton_Latic

From what I've seen on social media from Ripley even if they sign another goalkeeper I think he wants a crack at getting in the first team at Boro but if by Christmas time he is not playing I am sure he would be open to a move.

2 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

Apparently Peterborough are in for him I've  just heard willing to pay all his wages and a loan fee.

bugger...

Hope that doesn't happen. It'd be upsetting to see Ripley in a team against us (I accept it will most likely happen one day) especially when he should be playing above League One level next season.

Edited by boundaryblue80