Choose 12 latics legends

10 hours ago, Stagger Lee said:

we would have to choose maybe 12 people that have contributed to the club over the years above and beyond the normal call of duty.

There seems to be a lack of understanding of the initital point.  How has Cooksey contributed over and above the normal call of duty?

The likes Alan Hardy and Gordy are far more worthy of Latics legendary status in my opinion.

Managers and players would probably take a majority of the twelve but would you not include the lady who retired a couple of years ago having spent many years working for Latics.

46 minutes ago, aliofashy said:

There seems to be a lack of understanding of the initital point.  How has Cooksey contributed over and above the normal call of duty?

The likes Alan Hardy and Gordy are far more worthy of Latics legendary status in my opinion.

Managers and players would probably take a majority of the twelve but would you not include the lady who retired a couple of years ago having spent many years working for Latics.

Belter. The lady who retired ? That much of a legend you can't remember her name ? Ridiculous suggestion. 

48 minutes ago, aliofashy said:

Betty Pascall?

Lots of valid ideas but nearly all hung up on relatively recent people - and that's understandable . I know it makes it harder but shouldn't we consider obvious candidates from further back? In existence for over 120 years now / perhaps there's a case for acknowledging that what's really being considered is a post war set of legends .

Further back - and I doubt any of us on here were around during their time - then even a cursory look at the club's history has to throw up names like ; 

David Ashworth

David Wilson

Jimmy Naylor

Charlie Roberts

Jack Hacking

Tommy Davis

Jimmy Fay

Matt Gray 

All of whom seem to have met the criteria of the op. 

It's a debate that can go on for ever but I always fee uncomfortable in issues like this - or "greatest player" votes - that there is the inevitable subjectivity of personal connection rather than a more objective longer term view. 

7 hours ago, OLDHAM MUMPS said:

Dennis Irwin should be on this list for all the trophys he went on to win.  Has any other ex latics player won so many ? He is Ireland most successful player as well.

Put him on the Man Utd walk of fame then ffs!

Roy Keane...

51 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

These things generally morph into favourite players. Jim Fryatt? He played 76 games for us!

My first Latics football hero. He could head a ball with more power than some can shoot. 76 games is enough - definite legend in my eyes.

Splitting it into the decades that I've watched us my legends would be.

80's Palmer

90's Ritchie 

00's Eyres

10's ??????

Hopefully this decades legend will lead us to some success in the next year or two.

Managers wise I'd only really but Royle in there of the managers I've seen.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

My first Latics football hero. He could head a ball with more power than some can shoot. 76 games is enough - definite legend in my eyes.

Mine too but not the status of being alongside the likes of Royle and Frizzell