OWTB 2017/18 Prediction League

In a little over 4 weeks the 2017/18 football season will begin with Latics at home to Oxford.

The OWTB Prediction League will begin on the same day, with participants providing their Prediction of the HT score, FT score, first Latics scorer and match attendance.

With Shez and the solid base of a squad seemingly much better prepared than we have witnessed for quite some time, there is an air of optimism about the place. Will it result in a good start?

Oxford on the other hand have lost their manager Michael Appleton to Leicester City, as Craig Shakespeare's assistant, and Conor McAleny returned from his loan to Everton, before signing for Fleetwood.

Oxford have since appointed Pep Clotet, a Spaniard who was most recently Gary Monk's assistant at Leeds. Will they take time to gel?

A quick look at the history books tell me we have faced Oxford only 30 times in our history, Latics winning 13 to Oxford's 7, with 10 draws. At home our record is Won 11, Drawn 4, Lost 0.

We have in fact won the last 8 at home, with Oxford having last taken a point from Boundary Park in Nov 1984.

What do you predict?

If you're sufficiently intrigued, please take a look at the Prediction League Forum below.

Entry is a mere £10, with prize money for the winners and runners up in the Premier League and the Championship and the winner of the OWTB Cup, with a contribution going to PlayerShare and Dr Kershaw's hospice.

Edited by lookersstandandy

Worst leaflet I've ever seen. 

My son is thinking about having a go though. I haven't encouraged him to go into the family profession but he's keen and naturally has the genetic talent for predicting. I've told him he'll be getting no help from me and that he has to do it by himself on his own terms.

6 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Worst leaflet I've ever seen. 

My son is thinking about having a go though. I haven't encouraged him to go into the family profession but he's keen and naturally has the genetic talent for predicting. I've told him he'll be getting no help from me and that he has to do it by himself on his own terms.

Very wise. Your son will probably make a better fist of it without your "help". 

3 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Very wise. Your son will probably make a better fist of it without your "help". 

Are there no depths to which you will not stoop? My son has broad enough shoulders for your shite. And given that he goes out with a supermodel, I reckon he has the balls for this challenge. But it's purely up to him. I won't interfere. The lad has to do things under his own steam. 

8 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Are there no depths to which you will not stoop? My son has broad enough shoulders for your shite. And given that he goes out with a supermodel, I reckon he has the balls for this challenge. But it's purely up to him. I won't interfere. The lad has to do things under his own steam. 

I wish 5minutesfromtulsehill all the best.

Last season the home game against Oxford was on a Tuesday in March. Latics won 2-1 with a brace from Lee Erwin, having been 1-0 up at half time.

The attendance was 3,124 with Oxford bringing 383, meaning only 2,741 'tics braved the cold midweek weather.

Oxford did however take over 1,000 to away matches on average in 2016/17.

The last time Latics were at home on the opening day was in August 2011, when we faced Sheffield United and lost 2-0, having been level at HT. The attendance that day was 8,032.

What do you predict?

If you're sufficiently intrigued, please take a look at the Prediction League Forum below.

On the 21st May 1966, Latics played Oxford at home in the penultimate game of a 3rd tier season, in front of the Match of the Day camera's, presented from the Boundary Park hallowed turf by Kenneth Wolstenholme. Video link below.

Latics finished the season 5th bottom ahead of Southend, Brentford, Exeter & York, avoiding relegation to the 4th tier by 1 point, while Oxford finished in 14th.

The Latics starting 11 that day included club legend Jimmy Frizzell and only one local lad, Billy Dearden. Where I could find them & assuming they're correct I've included player career stats below. What a goals to game ratio from Ian Towers by the way!

1. Ronnie Swan - GK - 64 apps 0 goals 1964-66

2. Bob Ledger - Outside Right - 222 apps 37 goals 1962-68

3. Stewart Holden - Defender - 42 apps 5 goals 1965-66

4. Dennis Stevens - Inside Forward - 33 apps 0 goals 1965-66

5. William Asprey - Defender - 80 apps 4 goals 1964-67

6. Jim Bowie - Midfield

7. Ian Towers - Forward 95 apps 45 goals 1966-68

8. Reg Blore - Winger

9. Jimmy Frizzell - Inside Forward/Wing Half 318 apps 56 goals as a player. As a manager P 544 W 200 D 160 L 184 36.76% win ratio. 1960-1982.

10. Albert Quixall - Inside Forward 31 apps 11 goals 1964-66

11. Billy Dearden - Forward 35 apps 2 goals 1963-66

Sub. Tony Bartley - Outside Left

Oxford's starting 11 that day included Ron Atkinson.

The correct prediction on this day would've been;

Latics 3 Oxford 0 [HT 2-0]

First Latics scorer: Billy Dearden.

Att: 8,422

If you're sufficiently intrigued in particpating in this years Prediction League, please take a look at the Prediction League Forum below.

On the 15th Sept 1990, Latics played Oxford at home early in the season, video footage and pictures - where I can see myself in the Lookers Stand - below;

The Latics starting 11 that day doesn't need much introduction;

1. Jon Hallworth - GK - 174 apps 0 goals 1989-97

2. Paul Warhurst - FB/CB - 67 apps 2 goals 1988-91

3. Andy Barlow - FB/LW - 261 apps 5 goals 1984-95

4. Nick Henry - CM - 273 apps 19 goals 1987-97

5. Earl Barrett - FB/CB - 183 apps 7 goals 1987-92

6. Richard Jobson - CB -189 apps 10  goals 1990-95

7. Neil Adams - RW - 185 apps 27 goals 1989-94 & 99-01

8. David Currie - CF - 31 apps 3 goals 1990-91

9. Ian Marshall - CB/CF170 apps 36 goals 1988-93

10. Neil Redfearn - CM - 62 apps 16 goals 1990-91

11. Rick Holden - LW 189 apps 28 goals 1989-92 & 93-95

12 Sub. Paul Moulden - CF - 38 apps 4 goals 1990-93

14 Sub. Roger Palmer - RW/CF- 496 apps 141 goals 1981-94

Latics 3 Oxford 0 [HT 0-0]

First Latics scorer: Ian Marshall

Att: 12,429

Find a link here to the table after this game. How good would it be to see something similar after 5 games this coming season. http://stats.football.co.uk/snapshot_tables/1990_1991/15/sep/oldham_athletic/index.shtml

If you're sufficiently intrigued in particpating in this years Prediction League, please take a look at the Prediction League Forum below.

On the 23rd Nov 1996, Latics played Oxford at home in much need of points, after an horrendous start to the 2nd tier campaign. Video below.

The Latics starting 11 that day included only 1 player from the side above in Nick Henry.

1. Gary Kelly - GK - 226 apps 0 goals 1996-03

2. Craig Fleming - FB/CB - 164 apps 1 goals 1991-97

3. Gunnar Halle - FB/M - 212 apps 21 goals 1991-96

4. Nick Henry - CM - 273 apps 19 goals 1987-97

5. Shaun Garnett - CB - 173 apps 9 goals 1996-02

6. Steve Redmond - FB/CB - 205 apps 4 goals 1992-98

7. Toddy Orlygsson - CM - 76 apps 1 goals 1995-99

8. Paul Rickers - RW - 263 apps 20 goals 1993-02

9. Ian Ormondroyd - CF - 41 apps 9 goals 1987 & 1996-97

10. Stuart Barlow - CF - 93 apps 31 goals 1995-98

11. David Beresford - LW - 64 apps 2 goals 1994-97

12 Sub. Richard Graham  - CB/CM - 163 apps 15 goals 1993-00

13 Sub. Lee Richardson - CM - 88 apps 24 goals 1994-97

14 Sub. Nicky Banger - CF- 64 apps 10 goals 1994-97

Latics 2 Oxford 1 [HT 1-1]

First Latics scorer: Stuart Barlow

Att: 4,851

Oxford's scorer that day..... Nigel Jemson!!! Following another terrible run of games in the new year, the season ended in disappointment and so began our 20 year love affair with League One.

If you're sufficiently intrigued in participating in this years Prediction League, please take a look at the Prediction League Forum below.

Turns out my imaginary lad can't enter because he's not on OWTB, doesn't have a bank account and isn't allowed money. (I'm trying to bring him up right by depriving him of everything so he gets used to the idea of working grimly for no reward, recognition or fulfilment for the rest of his life.)

I've said I'm willing to lend him the money as long as he understands the concept of usuary and crippling interest rates. 

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

2 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Great work by our advertising executive, but only 14 signed up so far, 11 of them in the Premier League. Not long to go now, boys and girls, so dig those tenners out. You know it makes sense.

Ahem, unless I've missed it, I don't see your name on the list of entrants. Was beginning to think about plan b for administration 

Come on folks.....it's for good causes, come and join the prediction league, test your skills see if you can knock one of the big boys of top spot, or help me to prop the buggers up.

£10 to join, you up for a challenge? You know you want too.....

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

go on then, where do we join fellas, prediction league virgin 

I'm glad you asked LightDN123.... because it couldn't be simpler.

1. Entry is £10 for the season, to be paid via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (note the underscore - may be best to copy and paste the address and please leave your OWTB username in the PayPal message box) or PM Stevie_J for account details for BACS transfer.

2. You will see your OWTB name appear in the list of Predictors, below;

3. Some time before the opening game - but no later than 10 mins before KO, post your prediction in the Oxford (H) thread* - link below - as I have demonstrated in this thread above/as follows;

Latics 4 Oxford 1 (HT 2-0)

First Scorer: Craig Davies

Att: 5,871

*There is an individual thread for each of the 46 league games.

A league table(s) will be published after each round of games.

Best of luck.

37 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Haha, sent the money, will i start in the Championship and have to make a promotion charge for the premier league ?

Presuming the majority of least season's Predictors choose to enter again, you will..... however don't be concerned with that because;

- Prize money is equal.

- The Championship is little more forgiving for new Predictors - allows you a few Prediction mistakes - which give you time to find your feet.

- There are Play Offs which mean that everyone is in with a shout of Promotion for much of the season.

- The Cup comprises all Predictors in a Knock Out format, following a potential group stage dependent on number of participants.

11 hours ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

I'm in. (Despite how crap I am at this Prediction stuff...)

LF, just to let you know, I haven't received your payment.  Just wanted to point it out in case it's gone amiss.  You may well have meant 'I'm in' as in you intend to enter, of course.

41 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Presuming the majority of least season's Predictors choose to enter again, you will..... however don't be concerned with that because;

- Prize money is equal.

- The Championship is little more forgiving for new Predictors - allows you a few Prediction mistakes - which give you time to find your feet.

- There are Play Offs which mean that everyone is in with a shout of Promotion for much of the season.

- The Cup comprises all Predictors in a Knock Out format, following a potential group stage dependent on number of participants.

One important point this season is that incomplete predictions will now count as long as they make sense. For example, omitting a half time score simply means you won't score the 2 points, but the rest of your prediction will count, whereas last season, the whole thing would have been discounted.

Stevie_J will be updating the rules in the appropriate thread. Er, you WILL be updating them, won't you? :D