OWTB 2017/18 Prediction League

41 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

LF, just to let you know, I haven't received your payment.  Just wanted to point it out in case it's gone amiss.  You may well have meant 'I'm in' as in you intend to enter, of course.

Cheers Stevie.

Just checked and it didn't actually send yesterday. Sent again now, should have come through. ??

As the countdown to the new Prediction League season continues, this week we'll take a look at a couple of 'Predictors in focus'.

I'm sure many on here are acquainted with BP1960, a gentleman in the all time OWTB Leaderboard top 10 for upboats, he's clearly respected amongst the community.

BP1960 is a former professional football club scout, who seemingly has a solid record for spotting emerging talent, so much so that he often informs the club of players he sees and famously struck up a friendship with Darren Kelly on the back of it.

BP1960 joined Prediction League for the first time last season and must have put some pressure on himself to demonstrate he was a man with a knowledge of the game. He began - as all new comers do - in the Championship and was an early favourite for promotion.

He didn't disappoint.....

Going into the last game away at Wimbledon, BP1960 had correctly predicted the outcome of 14 games, with 17 HT's and correct number of Latics goals on no less than 15 occasions. He was however, outside automatic promotion places by 3 points from perennial bottler, JoeP;

h52ot2Y.jpg?2

Demonstrating his experience for an end of season nothing to play for fixture and Connor Ripley going for Pog's clean sheet record, he correctly Predicted 0-0 and was within 23 people of the exact attendance.

JoeP on the other hand panicked going for 1-1 with a goal from Ollie Banks, and despite knowing the game was a sell out inexplicably went for nearly 200 less than the stadium could fill.

BP: HT 0-0, FT 0-0, No goalscorer, Att: 4,844. Points 11.

JoeP: HT 0-0, FT 1-1, Ollie Banks, Att: 4,678 Points 4.

Actual: HT 0-0, FT 0-0, No goalscorer, Att 4,867

Final Championship table. Welcome to the Premier League BP1960.

KnBUpRq.jpg?2

If you're sufficiently intrigued, please take a look at the Prediction League Forum below.

13 minutes ago, MAC0AFC said:

Hahahaha that's two years in a row where I've paid the £10, done alright the first few weeks and then forgot to predict... and finished bottom ???? Give it a miss this year eh 

What would help you to remember MAC? 

The beauty of the Play Off system means missing an odd game isn't the end of the world.....

2 minutes ago, MAC0AFC said:

I honestly don't know, I set up weekly reminder on my phone this season and still managed to forget the 3rd game in, but ignored it and carried on I think the fourth week, only to forget again... ?

I could post a reminder in this thread...?

Why don't you give it one last go.... as you say, it's not like you didn't do alright when you did predict... and Playershare & Dr Kershaws are grateful beneficiaries.

16 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Going into the last game away at Wimbledon, BP1960 had correctly predicted the outcome of 14 games, with 17 HT's and correct number of Latics goals on no less than 15 occasions. He was however, outside automatic promotion places by 3 points from perennial bottler, JoeP;

JoeP on the other hand panicked going for 1-1 with a goal from Ollie Banks, and despite knowing the game was a sell out inexplicably went for nearly 200 less than the stadium could fill.

BP: HT 0-0, FT 0-0, No goalscorer, Att: 4,844. Points 11.

JoeP: HT 0-0, FT 1-1, Ollie Banks, Att: 4,678 Points 4.

Actual: HT 0-0, FT 0-0, No goalscorer, Att 4,867

:rolleyes:

A couple of points:

- Bottlers don't win play-offs.

- The actual attendance for the Wimbledon game was BIGGER than the official capacity of the stadium AND there were plenty of empty seats in the stand opposite.  Suspicious.

As you were, as Liam would tweet..

17 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Do you have to have PayPal to pay into PayPal? 

I believe so. If you haven't got Paypal, you can message Stevie_J and he will give you bank details so you can arrange a transfer.

Be great to have you involved yarddog73.

Edited by lookersstandandy

14 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I believe so. If you haven't got Paypal, you can message Stevie_J and he will give you bank details so you can arrange a transfer.

Be great to have you involved yarddog73.

No problem, could you pm me the details Stevie_J please.

15 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I could post a reminder in this thread...?

Why don't you give it one last go.... as you say, it's not like you didn't do alright when you did predict... and Playershare & Dr Kershaws are grateful beneficiaries.

I'll probably jump on board, I keep seeing you plug it and I keep getting tempted - not gonna sort it atm though. 

Would now be an appropriate time to highlight that you don't have to wait until the day of the game to post. All prediction league threads for the upcoming season are open and there is nothing stopping anyone from going through and posting 0-0 (HT 0-0)

in all of them, I'd fancy that would get quite a few points over the course of a season.

You can edit them near the time if you remember. It would also keep you away from the inevitable mind-games.

15 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Would now be an appropriate time to highlight that you don't have to wait until the day of the game to post......

No. We're still in the 'explaining to the uninitiated how it works' phase of marketing at the moment..... moving onto admin, tactics & mind games is for later. Can I kindly ask you to keep your counsel for now Mr Medic.

Our second 'Predictor in focus' most certainly won't require any introduction.

HarryBosch boasts over 3,000 upboats from 12,000 items of content. That's an upboat every 4 posts or a 25.4% approval rating, which the highest of any OWTB member with over 2,000 posts. He's clearly very popular..... although maybe less so at home given the amount of time he's evidently on here.

For those who are unaware, Harry Bosch or Hieronymous Bosch to give him his full title, is a literary character who is was a veteran LAPD homicide detective and committed lothario, whose mother was a murdered prostitute, father a powerful defence attorney, had spent much of his early life in orphanages and foster care, before joining the US Army and serving in Vitenam before going AWOL. What on earth that says about our own HarryBosch, I will leave you all to speculate.

Anyway, HarryBosch joined Prediction League for the first time in 2015/16, prior to there being 2 divisions. Our opening game that season was away at Walsall, under the shrewd stewardship of the aforementioned Darren Kelly.

Here's his Prediction for all to see;

For those who can't recall what happened and to save you looking it up, we drew 1-1 with Jonathan Forte scoring the equaliser. However the attendance was indeed exactly 5,009, with Latics taking approaching 1,000 that day.

In typical understated HarryBosch fashion, he replied with..... :lol:

The League table after the opening game of 2015/16:

15-08-0820SubPrem.jpg

Alas, for all his brash confidence, he couldn't maintain his early lead and succumbed to finish 9th.

2016/17 saw HarryBosch suffer from second season syndrome, ending up swapping places with BP1960 for 2017/18. One would imagine he'll be an early bookies favourite to come straight back up though.

0fXQVUH.jpg?2

If you're sufficiently intrigued, please take a look at the Prediction League Forum below.

22 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Our second 'Predictor in focus' most certainly won't require any introduction.

HarryBosch boasts over 3,000 upboats from 12,000 items of content. That's an upboat every 4 posts or a 25.4% approval rating, which the highest of any OWTB member with over 2,000 posts. He's clearly very popular..... although maybe less so at home given the amount of time he's evidently on here.

For those who are unaware, Harry Bosch or Hieronymous Bosch to give him his full title, is a literary character who is was a veteran LAPD homicide detective and committed lothario, whose mother was a murdered prostitute, father a powerful defence attorney, had spent much of his early life in orphanages and foster care, before joining the US Army and serving in Vitenam before going AWOL. What on earth that says about our own HarryBosch, I will leave you all to speculate.

Anyway, HarryBosch joined Prediction League for the first time in 2015/16, prior to there being 2 divisions. Our opening game that season was away at Walsall, under the shrewd stewardship of the aforementioned Darren Kelly.

Here's his Prediction for all to see;

For those who can't recall what happened and to save you looking it up, we drew 1-1 with Jonathan Forte scoring the equaliser. However the attendance was indeed exactly 5,009, with Latics taking approaching 1,000 that day.

In typical understated HarryBosch fashion, he replied with..... :lol:

The League table after the opening game of 2015/16:

15-08-0820SubPrem.jpg

Alas, for all his brash confidence, he couldn't maintain his early lead and succumbed to finish 9th.

2016/17 saw HarryBosch suffer from second season syndrome, ending up swapping places with BP1960 for 2017/18. One would imagine he'll be an early bookies favourite to come straight back up though.

0fXQVUH.jpg?2

A man with a Red Fleece has suddenly rejoined OWTB

4 minutes ago, MAC0AFC said:

This little write up for each contestant/contender is brilliant. Ffs I'm in - I'll refer to these posts next season as you're tempting me in again ????

Make note to self along the lines of:

"Latics are playing tomorrow/on Tuesday/at the weekend. I reckon we'll tonk this lot. Ooh, I know, I'll slap a prediction in that League thingy". Job done.

Just now, Bristolatic said:

Make note to self along the lines of:

"Latics are playing tomorrow/on Tuesday/at the weekend. I reckon we'll tonk this lot. Ooh, I know, I'll slap a prediction in that League thingy". Job done.

I'll try many of these various techniques, Rudemedic suggested something which would probably be worthwhile for me... 

I patiently await my write up from LSA.

1 minute ago, MAC0AFC said:

I'll try many of these various techniques, Rudemedic suggested something which would probably be worthwhile for me... 

I patiently await my write up from LSA.

One other way of looking at it is this. If people don't post a prediction, it's easier for me to do the tables. Now, you really wouldn't want that, would you?