53 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I wonder if Shez sees Gardner in the central deeper role he played at Stalybridge, almost like the liberos of  the past?

It's a role which may suit the team well.

Not with Fane and Green in the side. 

Shez will be playing 5-3-2 this season and Gardner will be the furthest forward out of the 3

7 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

...it happens, can we and would we accommodate both Gardner and Baxter in the starting lineup?

We could, but we couldn't accommodate those two and both Davies and Holloway. Jose playing off Holloway or Davies, with Gardner behind could prove very fruitful.

Let's be clear, Jose is only rumoured to be coming here, I can see why for numerous reasons, but until he signs I'm not going to get too excited.

It just doesn't seem plausible to me....

....if Everton are going to give him another chance.... why would they loan him out straight away....?

Surely they'd wanna see him day in day out to assess his professionalism & be confient he has exorcised his demons, before exploring such a move - where arguably he's more at risk!?!

He's not a kid anymore.... he's 25yo now.... Everton must surely be thinking of having him in & around their 1st team sooner rather than later, or else what's the point?

11 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

....if Everton are going to give him another chance.... why would they loan him out straight away....?

Surely they'd wanna see him day in day out to assess his professionalism & be confient he has exorcised his demons, before exploring such a move - where arguably he's more at risk!?!

He's not a kid anymore.... he's 25yo now.... Everton must surely be thinking of having him in & around their 1st team sooner rather than later, or else what's the point?

Maybe the PFA are involved and Everton is the best fit to aid his rehabilitation, lets face it as much as I love Baxter and the undoubted quality he could offer us he's a million miles away from Evertons first team, he's there for help not to push for a starting spot.

Just now, yarddog73 said:

Maybe the PFA are involved and Everton is the best fit to aid his rehabilitation, lets face it as much as I love Baxter and the undoubted quality he could offer us he's a million miles away from Evertons first team, he's there for help not to push for a starting spot.

Then why not come straight to us - the PFA that is!?! It's not like they don't know we're up for taking on a troubled soul or two.

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

The rumour suggests a contract not a loan. 

Edited by BP1960

27 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The rumour suggests a contract not a loan. 

You're referring to a tweet from a Jordan Wilbraham I presume.... who says he rejected a contract from Everton and is on a 3 week trial with us? None of it makes sense, least of all Mr Wilbraham.

BREAKING - Jose Baxter WILL NOT be signing for Everton. He is currently on a 3 week trial at Oldham Athletic with a view to a permanent deal

Replying to @OAFC_22

Rejected Everton contract (as he did in 2012) Is on trial with/training with Oldham By no means a done deal that hes signing though...

Jordan Wilbraham

@JordanWilbraham

The majority of people in the world are sheep who follow!.....Well thank fuck I'm not one of them #baaaaaaaa

Edited by lookersstandandy

3 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Everton are not going to give him another chance to make it there. They have just tried to help him get back on his feet probably at no cost to them and done by some coaches who know and care about his well being.

Baxter would be tailor made to play in a 3-5-2 infront of 2 midfielders and with 2 strikers ahead of him who he could feed, he could just use his technique and vision getting him fit and focused will be the problem at 25 I'm wondering if those issues are going to be harder to shift than they would be for someone at 16-17.

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Everton are not going to give him another chance to make it there. They have just tried to help him get back on his feet probably at no cost to them and done by some coaches who know and care about his well being.

Baxter would be tailor made to play in a 3-5-2 infront of 2 midfielders and with 2 strikers ahead of him who he could feed, he could just use his technique and vision getting him fit and focused will be the problem at 25 I'm wondering if those issues are going to be harder to shift than they would be for someone at 16-17.

This article says they offered him a 12 month contract, that could only begin last month..... and people think he might've turned it down....? I agree it's highly unlikely he'd ever get near an Everton starting 11 again, however I'd be more worried about his state of mind for turning down the opportunity, than I would for his past misdemeanours...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4162338/Everton-offer-12-month-contract-Jose-Baxter.html

Edited by lookersstandandy

12 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Not with Fane and Green in the side. 

Shez will be playing 5-3-2 this season and Gardner will be the furthest forward out of the 3

I think Shez wants a few systems this year...our squad is shaping up that way. He likes to change tactics based on being home or away, or playing against more defensive/attack minded opposition. 

25 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

I think Shez wants a few systems this year...our squad is shaping up that way. He likes to change tactics based on being home or away, or playing against more defensive/attack minded opposition. 

How refreshing that we may be able to do this, instead of 3 or 4 decent players and the next 7 or 8 least shittest.

5 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

This article says they offered him a 12 month contract, that could only begin last month..... and people think he might've turned it down....? I agree it's highly unlikely he'd ever get near an Everton starting 11 again, however I'd be more worried about his state of mind for turning down the opportunity, than I would for his past misdemeanours...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4162338/Everton-offer-12-month-contract-Jose-Baxter.html

Surprised if that's a genuine offer at best I'd think it would be reserve team player contract given out of sympathy. You would worry if he turned it down what his motivation would be does he want to be a footballer anymore? 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Surprised if that's a genuine offer at best I'd think it would be reserve team player contract given out of sympathy. You would worry if he turned it down what his motivation would be does he want to be a footballer anymore? 

You have answered your own questions with your own words 14,15 and 16.

14 hours ago, rudemedic said:

We could, but we couldn't accommodate those two and both Davies and Holloway. Jose playing off Holloway or Davies, with Gardner behind could prove very fruitful.

Let's be clear, Jose is only rumoured to be coming here, I can see why for numerous reasons, but until he signs I'm not going to get too excited.

Interesting to read Wellens thought Gardner was suited to the central midfield holding role. At times last Saturday Fane was playing in front of Gardner (and scored a goal).

I'd not seen Gardner before in that position, so it could be Wellens has hit on something good here.

Edited by BP1960