31 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Interesting to read Wellens thought Gardner was suited to the central midfield holding role. At times last Saturday Fane was playing in front of Gardner (and scored a goal).

I'd not seen Gardner before in that position, so it could be Wellens has hit on something good here.

I had thought of him as a lower league Fat Frank who you wanted to set up with as many shooting chances as possible. Shouldn't he be feeding off Holloway's layoffs?

With all respect to Gardner if Jose signs won't the recently relegated man be sat on the bench? Fane and Banks did a very good job last season as did Green back end. Are we in danger of expecting too much from someone given mixed reviews from chesterfield fans? Not seen much but in reality Baxter half fit is better than Gardner in terms of being the creative player.

Still, I'm sticking with Jose isn't coming despite me singing his song all afternoon. 

18 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I had thought of him as a lower league Fat Frank who you wanted to set up with as many shooting chances as possible. Shouldn't he be feeding off Holloway's layoffs?

Players can change positions as they mature, Wellens saw something I didn't and full credit to him.

It might be a one off anyway, but good to see a coach trying different things.

Hopefully his coaching along with Tommy and Shez will prove effective this season.

PS. Gardner looked in great shape, no fat on him.

Edited by BP1960

7 minutes ago, leeslover said:

If we sign Baxter and play him as a false 18 like Sheffield United did at their place I'll torch myself on the helipad 

Is that like playing as two number 9s?

Edited by BP1960

5 minutes ago, leeslover said:

If we sign Baxter and play him as a false 18 like Sheffield United did at their place I'll torch myself on the helipad 

They've always loved a bit of long ball but no tactical decision has ever summed Sheff Utd up as much as playing him there :lol:

If JB has turned down an offer at Everton that would certainly mean never playing first team football, I think that says he wants to play and not sit on a bench/or in the reserves and take the cash.

In fact, when we first signed him hadn't he turned down a contract with them in order to get first team football?

3 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

If JB has turned down an offer at Everton that would certainly mean never playing first team football, I think that says he wants to play and not sit on a bench/or in the reserves and take the cash.

In fact, when we first signed him hadn't he turned down a contract with them in order to get first team football?

Correct.