read through the thread now and have picked up 2 real issues...

the flag is a big no no but most importantly virgins or young lads who may be virgins have no right to stand next to a flag, have an opinion or be at a football match. Bloody virgins! am I right? Maybe the flag should read fuck virgins! :bat:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, unsworthlatic said:

I have mixed feelings about the flag in general but also by some comments made on the thread on here.

Firstly the flag; It certainly wouldn’t be the way I portrayed my hate of ISIS and it certainly wouldn’t be my choice of language to have on the flag. The red hand of Ulster is controversial amongst some but ever thought the person who has had the flag made is a Latics fan with Northern Irish connections who wishes to show his pride of both along with sending the rather silly comment about ISIS and also the unfortunate choice of language he/she wished to use?

As for some of the comments regarding this though:

‘I hope that flag is pulled out at an away game where the Hibs fans are present’

That’s pretty poor also, the interpretation being that he will get hassle for unveiling a flag you may not agree with but wish some trouble to come his way because of a flag, bit contradictory.

On from that, the Athleticos have come in for quite a bit of abuse once more from a few. I understand there are 3 younger lads on this picture with the flag but the 3 lads in question offer no threat, no trouble and no problem to the club, its supporters or opposition or their supporters. As well as this it isn’t their flag, just wanted a picture with it for whatever reason. The reason I imagine is due to recent events and going with the trend of everybody else in hating ISIS.

When a few of you were growing up in this country the IRA terrorist attacks were rife, Manchester Arndale being blown up, the bomb in Warrington, the bomb who killed women and children on a coach as well as many more. Similar sort of thing right? Not the organistations or the reasons why they are attacking but both being frowned upon and rightly so! I also bet quite a lot of you (not all, but then again there are 3 Athleticos on the picture) have joined in with the song ‘Keep St George In My Heart’ which leads to the reference towards the hatred of the IRA?

Again, these are young lads! I happen to know most of them and certainly get on quite well with Ryan, who orders all of the flags (not this one in question as stated before) and does everything to help, support and raise funds for both the Athleticos and the club as a whole.

During the game, however ‘cringey’ you seem to see it, the Athleticos did a tribute to Bradley Lowery on 6th Minute and set off a rendition of ‘Don’t Look Back In Anger’ in tribute for the 22 who lost their lives in Manchester on 22nd minute whilst raising enough funds, mostly between them to get the ‘Manchester 22’ flag made ready for next season.

Whichever way you look at this flag as a whole which for what it’s worth I don’t really see why they saw the need to make a flag saying what it said and/or unveil it at a pre-season friendly (perhaps as the owner may be aware it won’t last very long in a League game’ the comments and the abuse towards both the flag owner and Athleticos I feel a bit ridiculous.

I’m sure a lot will disagree and fair enough if you do, but I’m sure if you have any suggestions, issues or whatever that Ryan will be quite happy to speak to you, explain decisions and also take your opinions on board.

All this aside, I hope you are all enjoying your summer and looking forward to the season! It should be a better one than last season that’s for sure!

You appear to be the only person equating this daft flag with the Athleticos.

On 10/07/2017 at 4:12 PM, Monty Burns said:

I wonder if, in about 15 years, there will be ISIS terrorists with seats in UK Parliment and even inside government like what happened with the IRA and sectarian/so-called Loyalist terrorists. I mean, the UVF and UDA are now at the centre of power. Very worrying for everyone.

had to ftfy.

it's been a while.

2 hours ago, unsworthlatic said:

I have mixed feelings about the flag in general but also by some comments made on the thread on here.

Firstly the flag; It certainly wouldn’t be the way I portrayed my hate of ISIS and it certainly wouldn’t be my choice of language to have on the flag. The red hand of Ulster is controversial amongst some but ever thought the person who has had the flag made is a Latics fan with Northern Irish connections who wishes to show his pride of both along with sending the rather silly comment about ISIS and also the unfortunate choice of language he/she wished to use?

As for some of the comments regarding this though:

‘I hope that flag is pulled out at an away game where the Hibs fans are present’

That’s pretty poor also, the interpretation being that he will get hassle for unveiling a flag you may not agree with but wish some trouble to come his way because of a flag, bit contradictory.

On from that, the Athleticos have come in for quite a bit of abuse once more from a few. I understand there are 3 younger lads on this picture with the flag but the 3 lads in question offer no threat, no trouble and no problem to the club, its supporters or opposition or their supporters. As well as this it isn’t their flag, just wanted a picture with it for whatever reason. The reason I imagine is due to recent events and going with the trend of everybody else in hating ISIS.

When a few of you were growing up in this country the IRA terrorist attacks were rife, Manchester Arndale being blown up, the bomb in Warrington, the bomb who killed women and children on a coach as well as many more. Similar sort of thing right? Not the organistations or the reasons why they are attacking but both being frowned upon and rightly so! I also bet quite a lot of you (not all, but then again there are 3 Athleticos on the picture) have joined in with the song ‘Keep St George In My Heart’ which leads to the reference towards the hatred of the IRA?

Again, these are young lads! I happen to know most of them and certainly get on quite well with Ryan, who orders all of the flags (not this one in question as stated before) and does everything to help, support and raise funds for both the Athleticos and the club as a whole.

During the game, however ‘cringey’ you seem to see it, the Athleticos did a tribute to Bradley Lowery on 6th Minute and set off a rendition of ‘Don’t Look Back In Anger’ in tribute for the 22 who lost their lives in Manchester on 22nd minute whilst raising enough funds, mostly between them to get the ‘Manchester 22’ flag made ready for next season.

Whichever way you look at this flag as a whole which for what it’s worth I don’t really see why they saw the need to make a flag saying what it said and/or unveil it at a pre-season friendly (perhaps as the owner may be aware it won’t last very long in a League game’ the comments and the abuse towards both the flag owner and Athleticos I feel a bit ridiculous.

I’m sure a lot will disagree and fair enough if you do, but I’m sure if you have any suggestions, issues or whatever that Ryan will be quite happy to speak to you, explain decisions and also take your opinions on board.

All this aside, I hope you are all enjoying your summer and looking forward to the season! It should be a better one than last season that’s for sure!

1) I still don't see the link between [any] acts of terrorism and Oldham Athletic Football matches, much less friendlies.

2) "just wanted a picture with it for whatever reason." All innocent like. So why the need to post it on social media?

3) I don't see any condemnation of  the good things, on the 6th & 22nd minutes, and nonetheless the good things only serve to magnify how wrong the flag is.

4) Not condoning abuse (which I have not seen) but I agree with those that the condemnaiton of the flag.

5) 100% agree it will be great to get back to talking about football, and a succesful season so we can get behind Shez.

20 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

had to ftfy.

it's been a while.

I'll bite. No matter how loopy those DUP women are, they aren't actual gun toting, bomb chucking murderers like gerry and the #legend are/were.

Edited by Monty Burns

2 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

I'll bite. No matter how loopy those UDA women are, they aren't actual gun toting, bomb chucking murderers like gerry and the #legend are/were.

Careful using the word legend on here, causes all sorts of arguments

28 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

read through the thread now and have picked up 2 real issues...

the flag is a big no no but most importantly virgins or young lads who may be virgins have no right to stand next to a flag, have an opinion or be at a football match. Bloody virgins! am I right? Maybe the flag should read fuck virgins! :bat:

Should have read "You blow yourselves up to meet 40 of us"

Edited by youngen

Just now, youngen said:

Careful using the word legend on here, causes all sorts of arguments

And so it should, it still angers me now, I was jus trying not to be over serious about it.

Also, the UDA are terrorists. Slip of the thumb from me there. Apologies.

15 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

I'll bite. No matter how loopy those DUP women are, they aren't actual gun toting, bomb chucking murderers like gerry and the #legend are/were.

Noel Little, Peter Robinson, Emma Little-Pengelly...

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

There isn't one. Politics is life, some are capable of ignoring it and watching love island instead, some aren't.

Who are you to judge?

I completely agree with you, however I'm not sure fans should be displaying flags supporting or decrying political paramilitary groups.

Just now, Matt said:

I completely agree with you, however I'm not sure fans should be displaying flags supporting or decrying political paramilitary groups.

Politics is life. The Red Right hand is a flag, no problem there. Fuck ISIS? Massive cringe but, Yeah get to fuck ISIS.

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

Unfair to judge Emma for what her Da did.

Don't see any of the other two in Parliment.

Robinson is now the DUP 'consultant' isn't he? I'm sure he help campaign and has the ear of Foster, and Emma hasn't done herself any favours - chip off the old block. These three are only off the top of my head...

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

Politics is life. The Red Right hand is a flag, no problem there. Fuck ISIS? Massive cringe but, Yeah get to fuck ISIS.

It is the flag of the Government of Northern Ireland up until the seventies right enough, its escalating connatations with loyalists since hasn't gone unnoticed. Fuck ISIS, yeah fuckssakes...*rolleyes*

1 hour ago, singe said:

1) I still don't see the link between [any] acts of terrorism and Oldham Athletic Football matches, much less friendlies.

2) "just wanted a picture with it for whatever reason." All innocent like. So why the need to post it on social media?

3) I don't see any condemnation of  the good things, on the 6th & 22nd minutes, and nonetheless the good things only serve to magnify how wrong the flag is.

4) Not condoning abuse (which I have not seen) but I agree with those that the condemnaiton of the flag.

5) 100% agree it will be great to get back to talking about football, and a succesful season so we can get behind Shez.

Again I don't agree with the flag being at matches but that ultimately isn't our decision.

1) I don't think there should be a link but the flag highlights the mood of most people, thus a lot being more offended by the swear word and/or the red hand of Ulster more so than the message in general.

2) None of those three as far as I'm aware posted it. They probably wanted a picture with it due to the message it gives out. I wasn't saying that they are 'all innocent' just stated that they don't cause any bother or harm to other supporters or opposition and their supporters.

3) I was highlighting the good points that they bring to the club/game and also defending them on the fact it isn't their flag.

4) I don't really agree with the flag being at football, I believe it carries a message the majority feel since the atrocities over the last few months though. They (as a group) have taken abuse on social media for the flag, also a couple of comments on here.

5) Exactly what it should be!