Oxford Utd Starting XI

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I usually agree with most of what you post but this paragraph is just not true, I can hand on heart say I must of attended over 90% of the games Wilsons played in and not once as he been on the receiving end of any abuse, in my opinion he did  play well at the end of last season but if we have any aspirations for competing higher up the league I reckon we need one of the younger options at right back to improve past him.

You obviously weren't sat in the new stand whilst we were getting tonked 5-2 off Southend. He was getting pelters in the second half and giving some back 

7 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

You obviously weren't sat in the new stand whilst we were getting tonked 5-2 off Southend. He was getting pelters in the second half and giving some back 

I was in the North Stand for that game but the only one getting pelters from around where I was sat was Cornell, it's not my style to give my own teams players abuse but each to there own.

Keeper

Wilson-Gerrard-Clarke-Hunt

McLaughlin-Green-Fane-Obadeyi

Holloway-Davies

Not too bad, that. Could equally have started Banks over Fane (and suspect Shez will). Still think he might go back in for O'Neill to bolster his central midfield options though.

2 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Keeper

Wilson-Gerrard-Clarke-Hunt

McLaughlin-Green-Fane-Obadeyi

Holloway-Davies

Not too bad, that. Could equally have started Banks over Fane (and suspect Shez will). Still think he might go back in for O'Neill to bolster his central midfield options though.

I can't see us starting with Green & Fane in central midfield if it's 4-4-2.

Gardner's not available but more creativity there than last season is the way he wants to go so I see Flynn, Banks or maybe even Fawns at the head of a diamond starting with Fane/Green. 

I can't see Green not starting either though :lol:

And he still wants another midfielder :grin:

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I can't see us starting with Green & Fane in central midfield if it's 4-4-2.

Gardner's not available but more creativity there than last season is the way he wants to go so I see Flynn, Banks or maybe even Fawns at the head of a diamond starting with Fane/Green. 

I can't see Green not starting either though :lol:

And he still wants another midfielder :grin:

Think we'll see quite a bit of experimentation in the centre of midfield for the first few weeks.

Green's attacking and creative capabilities are underrated in my opinion. He waa shackled last season but there were a number of occasions he broke them and looked assured further forward.

Said already as well, I'd like to see us give Flynn another go. Got pedigree and showed real quality at times. In a better side he would also fare much better I believe.

To me, it's looking like a 4-4-2 Diamond, maybe something like this:

(SIGNING)

MCLAUG. GERRARD  CLARKE  HUNT
   |       (SIGNING)      |
   |   BANKS       GREEN  |
   V       GARDNER        V 
      HOLLOWAY    DAVIES

And a 3-5-2, like this

(SIGNING)

GERRARD CLARKE STOTT
MCLAUG.                HUNT
  |GARDNER (SIGN.) GREEN |  
  V                      V                      
     HOLLOWAY  DAVIES

could be our main systems this season. We've certainly got the wing backs for this kind of shape. Obviously hoping Ripley signs and we get this Liam Kelly style of player we seem to be looking for. Maybe the occasional 1 striker set-up if required. 

(SIGNING)

WILSON GERRARD CLARKE HUNT
        (SIGNING)           
    GARDNER    GREEN   
MCLAUG.           OBADEYI           
         HOLLOWAY 

Whoever you like in for Gardner against Oxford, Fane perhaps. Green's deficiencies could be masked in a three. If not, again Fane would probably step in. A lot of fans like Fane, and I do sometimes, but it's easy to confuse the player he is, with the player we want him to be. And there's a wide gap between the two right now. Watch this space. I think they'll give Holloway and Davies every chance to strike up a partnership, Duffus being an impact sub at first, see if he can force his way into the first team. I don't see Osei getting much of a look in barring injuries, especially with Obadeyi able to play up front and getting some goals against non leaguers. Could we convince a National League club to take him on loan and give him regular games?

Now, I like Dummigan, but he needs to prove himself again, and hopefully he does, because he was terrific in that first loan spell, and could let McLaughlin concentrate on attacking. Indeed, those two could torment some left hand sides in this division, if they're on top form. With a resurgent Dummigan I could even see McLaughlin played in behind the front two in the diamond, that really could cause some havoc.

If we sign Ripley, we know how good he is, mid table at least, no danger. The more I mull it over, the more I see what Shez is seeing about a lynchpin kind of midfielder, not only someone who can break up play, but the man who starts off attacks for us. Gets the ball, plays the right pass, off we go. Imagine Liam Kelly at his pomp in this year's side for example. It's gonna be an important signing. That could get us up a few more places in the table. So a lot depends on what business we still have left to do.

The big question mark, the thing that would tip us over into being a top side in what's looking like a competitive division this season. Goals. Can Gardner be the consistent attacking force he wasn't at Chesterfield? Can Banks continue to be the decent midfielder he turned into under Sheridan? It's a few years since Craig Davies was scoring at a fair knock in the Championship, but he's not really had regular football since then. There's no reason he can't turn it on again, unless age (31 now, not exactly ancient) has had that much of a detrimental effect on him. If he can't bag for us, can Duffus, a great unknown? Surely were gonna score plenty more than last season, whatever happens. But enough to see us playing important games at the right end of the table in April and May? That's the big question mark.

Ended up being a bit of a squad analysis there, but I got carried away. Tried to temper excitement a little, but still find reasons to be optimistic.

Edited by Simpo

I think the way Sheridan wants us to play is 4-3-1-2. That for me rules out Wilson as a full time right back as our full backs will be our only source of width.

As an attacking full back put him up against Dummigan, McLaughlin and Hunt and it's no contest. 

3-5-2 or a 4-4-2 for the first game,

Keeper

Gerrard

Clarke

Stott 

McLaughlin 

Green

Flynn 

Fane

Hunt

Holloway 

Davies 

Or

Keeper

Dummigan 

Clarke 

Gerrard 

Hunt 

McLaughlin 

Green

Fane

Flynn 

Holloway

Obadeyi 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Ripley

McLaughin

Wilson

Clarke

Gerrard

Hunt

Fane

Green

Banks

Davies

Tope

Dummigan for Hunt 60mins

Holloway for Davies 70mins

Duffus for Tope 75mins

2-0 Tope Davies

att. 5872

You should join the Prediction League, Monty. £10 to join and it benefits the club and Dr Kershaw's. :OASISscarf:

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?/topic/49792-owtb-prediction-league-201718/

I've been thinking over pre-season about what our best XI would be for the whole season, but I reckon it'll have changed a fair amount by the end of the season if some of the younger or fringe players take their chances.  Edmundson, Stott, Fawns and maybe Osei have the potential to step up and I think players like Dummigan and Flynn will have their part to play in the team over the season.

But for Saturday against a supposedly talented side with an unproven manager and a squad with a lot of upheaval, I think we should keep things simple:

Keeper

Wilson

Clarke

Gerrard

McLaughlin and Hunt as wing backs

Green

Banks

Fane

Holloway

Obadeyi

Using a shape that worked well at the end of last season, with a lot of strong and athletic players (Banks aside) and a team that will be defensively minded but not afraid to press and get amongst them. 

The back 3 know exactly what to do and will settle the new keeper.  McLaughlin and Hunt will be able to take care of themselves on the wing.  The midfield trio have worked very well as a unit despite their individual flaws and while Holloway is an ideal target man, Obadeyi will drift wide and keep their defence unsettled.  It's not the most potent strikeforce but it will cause them a lot of problems.  To give us the continuity that they won't have, all ten of those players played for most of the 2nd half of the season.

I don't think Saturday will be our best football this season, but if we get our strategy right (and I think Shez will) I can see us getting 3 points.

38 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not keen on Gerrard in a back 3.

Don't like the idea of Hunt as a left wing back.

Don't see Tope as a central striker.

4-4-2 with Hunt RB & Stott LB would give us the most natural balance. Harsh on Wilson though, but.. 

McLaughlin & Tope on the wings. 

Fane + whoever in the middle, Davies & Holloway upfront

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

4-4-2 with Hunt RB & Stott LB would give us the most natural balance. Harsh on Wilson though, but.. 

McLaughlin & Tope on the wings. 

Fane + whoever in the middle, Davies & Holloway upfront

That's what I'd go with, although Shez hasn't played that side and formation in any of his pre season games.