Erwin or Baxter

Erwin or Baxter  

122 members have voted

1. 1. If a straight choice, who and why?

• Erwin
    • Baxter

1 hour ago, jorvik_latic said:

Just because people pointed out that it was a possibility, doesn't mean it's true. You can't claim that as a fact. At the time, he was a convicted rapist. 

In this instance though....Im going to as it turned out to be a fact! ?

When he was cleared you'll find posts saying oafc fans wouldn't want him due too his 'character'

Please let's keep going round in circles about him...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, palmer1 said:

I don't recall the 2nd being illegal Harry & he won't be the 1st footballer to do something like that.

Baxter broke enough rules for his club to get rid and be banned from football. Its a definite double standard.

But hey we like him so it's ok...

Come on palmer, you can't equate taking recreational drugs to a rape, which is what Evans had against his name when we looked to sign him.

Not double standards at all.

Edited by NewBlue

5 hours ago, palmer1 said:

In this instance though....Im going to as it turned out to be a fact! ?

When he was cleared you'll find posts saying oafc fans wouldn't want him due too his 'character'

Please let's keep going round in circles about him...

You're talking as if it was proved he wasn't actually there. The same shit still happened, he's just now technically not a rapist unlike at the time of trying to sign him. 

The other guy did some coke. Fuck sake. 

7 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Come on palmer, you can't equate taking recreational drugs to a rape, which is what Evans had against his name when we looked to sign him.

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

You're talking as if it was proved he wasn't actually there. The same shit still happened, he's just now technically not a rapist unlike at the time of trying to sign him. 

The other guy did some coke. Fuck sake. 

As I said New Blue I'm talking after the event, proved innocent and people still didn't want him due to his 'character' and they don't believe his innocence. Nzlatics proves it with his/her post as it was a 'technicality.'

Nzlatics I didn't say he wasn't there once, I said what he did wasn't illegal and footballers round the county may have done the same. He was cleared and has no criminal record. In the eyes of the law he's done nothing wrong. He was wrongly convicted for a crime he didn't commit. 

Baxter broke the rules by taking an illegal banned substance....twice. I don't give a fk if some on here have taken it and its recreational. He broke the law and broke the rules and was banned and if he'd never played for us in a previous spell the majority wouldnt want him at the club please dont deny that, there is your double standard.

They are very different situations but when people boil things down to what kind of person someone is as a reason not to sign them. Do they only draw the line at how good where they the last time they played for us.

I'm not commenting on it again. Its been done to death and it just keeps going in circles. Id be delighted if we Baxter but be surprised if he happens.

Edited by palmer1

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

As I said New Blue I'm talking after the event, proved innocent and people still didn't want him due to his 'character' and they don't believe his innocence. Nzlatics proves it with his/her post as it was a 'technicality.'

Nzlatics I didn't say he wasn't there once, I said what he did wasn't illegal and footballers round the county may have done the same. He was cleared and has no criminal record. In the eyes of the law he's done nothing wrong. He was wrongly convicted for a crime he didn't commit. 

Baxter broke the rules by taking an illegal banned substance....twice. I don't give a fk if some on here have taken it and its recreational. He broke the law and broke the rules and was banned and if he'd never played for us in a previous spell the majority wouldnt want him at the club please dont deny that, there is your double standard.

They are very different situations but when people boil things down to what kind of person someone is as a reason not to sign them. Do they only draw the line at how good where they the last time they played for us.

I'm not commenting on it again. Its been done to death and it just keeps going in circles. Id be delighted if we Baxter but be surprised if he happens.

Of course people treat the two offences differently. They are vastly different offences. If Baxter had been convicted of rape and Latics fans, who were against signing Evans, wanted Jose back, then that would be double standards. 

Baxter has been out of the game for 18 months, I'd be wary of signing anyone who'd been out of the game for that long for whatever reason, but with a prolonged trial period to get a good look at him and a contract weighted in the club's favour if he is the player of old, no issue and I'd sign him ahead of Erwin. If it was a 2 year deal with no caveats and for the same money, I'd probably go with Erwin, but that isn't factored into the discussion.

I was still against the signing of Evans even when his innocence was reinstated because I thought he wouldn't be good enough, due to having nearly 4 years out of the game, 7 goals last season sort of backs that point up.

As for the moral dilemma I tend to revert to first principles and go off what I know from a Medical POV- it would be common practice for a doctor found unfit for work due to drink or drugs to be allowed to retain their licence to practise for a first offence, for a second offence with a good argument of mitigating circumstances, and appropriate insight and remorse, then the doctor might still be allowed to work, provided that there are no other factors like stealing it from the workplace. I'm yet to hear of a Doctor being allowed to keep their licence after being convicted of rape (and I know of a few unfortunately). Doctor's also don't tend to get drug-tested when not in work.

PS Baxter was nicked for E first time, escaping with 0 games ban due to claiming his drink was spiked, then nicked for Coke second time around, and Coke is not an easy thing to drug test for unless there is habitual use.

On 16 July 2017 at 1:20 AM, NewBlue said:

Yeah because nobody would have been raped or murdered in the production and transportation of said coke now, would they?

I think some people are treating this thread as one of those who was, and for that matter is, the better player. If ithat were the question, it would be Baxter 100%.

Baxter's curent situation muddys the waters, and makes it more of a dilemma IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Hometownclub said:

In my opinion, Baxter is totally different class as a footballer to Erwin.

Not sure anyone is doubting that HT.

It's whether he is a risk (surely he is) and at this moment in time is it worth taking the risk, which I  think more trickier a question.

3 minutes ago, singe said:

Not sure anyone is doubting that HT.

It's whether he is a risk (surely he is) and at this moment in time is it worth taking the risk, which I  think more trickier a question.

I understand what your saying regarding the risks of taking Baxter back, personally I would sooner take the risk over Baxter (given his undoubted quality), than sign Erwin, if it was a straight choice between the two (which I'm sure its not).

Everyone is going on about how great Baxter WAS when he last played for us a truly gifted ball player, BUT NOW can we say he will be the same?????. However how many seasons ago was that, that he was last at BP?????

Did he do anything special in his last season playing for Sheffield United????? Would the Sheffield United fans praise him as much as his worshipers on this forum???? Should we take a massive risk on a player now unfit and missing from the game for 18 months?????

We have to this day only had one player, who played for us, who was addicted to a substance and that played out of his skin for us. About 9 whiskys and he played like magic.  Thousands filled BP to watch him because of his magic with a ball and that was the late great BOBBY JOHNSTONE. Now he was a player worthy of mention. To be honest Baxter is not one hundredth as good as him and never will be.

Edited by Smiler13

Just now, HarryBosch said:

Off on a complete tangent - Chris Renshaw is in that squad, a Premier League u-23 squad. 

Would many be happy with him back on a season long loan? Probably not....

Yet most seem fine with Bailey Peacock Farrell from a Championship clubs kids........