Womens Euros 2017

Very comprehensive 6-0 win for England over Scotland last night. There's no reason England can't go on to win the tournament, they did really well at the last World Cup and the increasing professionalism in the English game should help close the gap with Germany.

On 20 July 2017 at 0:32 PM, rosa said:

Very comprehensive 6-0 win for England over Scotland last night. There's no reason England can't go on to win the tournament, they did really well at the last World Cup and the increasing professionalism in the English game should help close the gap with Germany.

I know the Men's team for Scotland has struggled in recent years (yes I know they drew with England)

But suprised at how bad the women. The Fact the SPL is so one sided told the Scottish Women's top flight was actually a decent league to watch and good pool of upcoming female talent 

3 minutes ago, Forte_Baby said:

I know the Men's team for Scotland has struggled in recent years (yes I know they drew with England)

But suprised at how bad the women. The Fact the SPL is so one sided told the Scottish Women's top flight was actually a decent league to watch and good pool of upcoming female talent 

Aye, the Scottish defending was terrible (as Alan Hansen might say). The 4th and 5th goals were beautifully taken though. Spain next up tonight, should be more of a test.

9 hours ago, rosa said:

Aw fucking hell. After the Swiss keeper had been playing so well. Bollocks.

So that's almost certainly England v France in the quarter finals.

Fuck.

Except France will be missing their 6ft 1 centre-half and captain, as well as their first choice right-back due to suspension. 

Bachmann, the Swiss Forward had more about her than Billy McKay and was very impressive.

Good win by the 2nd string Lionesses tonight. They became the first Senior English side to pick up 9 points from the group stage of a major international tournament.

Looking forward to what could be a very good game against the French now.

Ohhhhhhh. Fucking hell. That own goal summed up their night. Just not sharp enough all night, and nothing went our way. Two fucking shots cleared off the line. Holland played very well, they deserve to win the tournament. Good luck to them.

Edited by rosa

53 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Good luck to them etc. but the standard is awful,  It has to be a lot better than this to justify two hours of my life.

"Awful" is a bit harsh. Where's the bar set?  A bit of extra muscle separates the standard of tonight's game and your average Latics match from the last 20 years..

That England women's coach took football back to the dark ages tonight with his kick and rush tactics, It was embarrasing to watch.

We are technically inferior in both the mens and womens game, it still baffles me why other countries are better on the ball, maybe someone on here can explain why English players in comparison are so lacking in basic skills such as passing the ball ?

11 minutes ago, JoeP said:

"Awful" is a bit harsh. Where's the bar set?  A bit of extra muscle separates the standard of tonight's game and your average Latics match from the last 20 years..

Maybe but the bar is higher than that for what is the very top level.  I know it's pointless comparing it directly with the men's game and it needs to be watched on its own merits but that was just poor.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Women's cricket despite it barely being decent club standard.

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

But Latics have been shit for a good deal of that twenty years which is why far fewer people pay to watch them now. 

England did well to reach the semis but they were shit tonight. As mentioned above, their tactics were awful - didn't look like they wanted the ball as soon as there was any pressure and just lumped the ball forward over their midfield throughout, even though the Dutch centre backs won pretty much everything in the air. The pundits were all going on about the scoreline being harsh on England but they were outclassed in every department by the Dutch tonight. 

6 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

But Latics have been shit for a good deal of that twenty years which is why far fewer people pay to watch them now.

But it's not a bad place for the women's game to be, especially as it seems to be on the ascendancy in terms of quality, (while Latics have declined (well, stagnated..)).  

Watched the last couple of tournaments and, while the second goal last night was a bit of cock-up, you don't get many silly goals given away by the top teams anymore.

23 minutes ago, JoeP said:

But it's not a bad place for the women's game to be, especially as it seems to be on the ascendancy in terms of quality, (while Latics have declined (well, stagnated..)).  

Watched the last couple of tournaments and, while the second goal last night was a bit of cock-up, you don't get many silly goals given away by the top teams anymore.

I agree with you there. The women's game does still seem to be short of decent goalkeepers though.