Hope v Expectation

Hope- Top ten. 

I don't think it's beyond the imagination to hope for a top ten finish. I think defensively we'll be very sound. Ripley would cement that, but I still think we'll be fine with or without him. A back four of hunt, Clarke, gerrard, mclaughlin is very good on our budget IMO. Up front Davies will score his share, and I think him and Holloway will be a good foil for each other. Plus we've osei, and ruffus to add competition. The biggest hope though is shez himself. If he can get a few to play above their level for long periods, then we might have a sniff of doing something. 

Expeactation. 12-16th. 

While up front and and at the back looks pretty solid. Midfield is still a concern for me. I know shez said he's still looking to add another midfielder, and I hope Gardner turns out to be a good signing. Even so I don't think any of green/fane/banks sets the world alight. All capable on their day, but it's not a midfield that particularly inspires. I think we'll score a few more, (im praying we do) but I don't see us having the guile or quality of spine to the side to really challenge. I would take any improvement on last year though, Which should be very achievable.  

Thoughts? 

I hope we win the league going unbeaten wining every cup comp we enter destroying every club in our path all while a billionaire Oldham fan buys Corney out making us the richest club in the country ready for the push of global domination.

I expect us to be better than last season.

7 hours ago, Owl said:

Why only top 10 ?????  We should all be hoping for top 6 at least or whats the point. Oh and what do we get for too 10 finish, I'll tell you. Jack

If you are finishing top 10 then effectively you are challenging for the top 6. 

It depends what remaining transfer business we do. If we bring in Ripley and maybe 1 or 2 others I'd be dissapointed if we don't finish in the top half.

Its also going to depend on our ability to pick ourselves up from a few dissapointments. We saw in 2011 and 2014 from Feb onwards our form plummet after a good start as we did in 2009. The last 2 seasons have seen us start abysmally and then recover really well from January onwards. Keeping that form going for an entire season will be the challenge. If we do then the top 6 will be gettable.

In conclusion my hope is the top 6 but I think we can raise the expectations abit of this squad looking what we have their is no reason why a top half finish shouldn't be seen as the expectation.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Be interesting to see if starting with a largely unchanged group gets us off to a decent start given the number of clubs who will still be bedding players in and still experimenting with tactics, shape etc. early on, tend to think it should do but doesn't always work out that way.

I'm suggesting a strong start but then a drift to a position around 10th with the occasional excitement of the play offs in sight.

Ripley and a creative midfielder (could that be Gardner, possibly Baxter??) would have me hopeful of a top 6. Similar squad to last season I know but Sheridan seems to fit well here and gets the best out of these players.

The fact is that at this point we do not know how our squad/team compares to the other teams in the division.

Our first opponents, Oxford, have drawn with Middlesbrough, beaten Hull City and narrowly lost (4-3) to a very good Brentford side. My Brentford supporting mate who was at the game says that Oxford were very good going forward and looked a decent side.

How will we get on against them? Nil nil probably...

18 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The fact is that at this point we do not know how our squad/team compares to the other teams in the division.

Our first opponents, Oxford, have drawn with Middlesbrough, beaten Hull City and narrowly lost (4-3) to a very good Brentford side. My Brentford supporting mate who was at the game says that Oxford were very good going forward and looked a decent side.

If Craig Davies 2nd debut is as good as his 1st debut then we will win he had Swansea on toast that day.

The difference in standard between 5th/6th in play offs and teams just above the relegation zone is minimal. Literally a case of who is least shit rather than any particular excellence. A couple of decent players either way can make all the difference.

Get off to a half decent start. Be top 10 around Xmas and then with a fair wind and a bit of luck anything is possible. It would be fantastic if we could add Baxter around new year time for a bit more creativity and a final charge.

For the first time in a while actually excited about the season ahead. Already looking forward to Girona on Thursday.

If Ripley does sign then we must be looking at Top 10 very least or even a sniff of play-offs.

Uncertain what's gone on behind the scenes financially but a serious wedge has been thrown at squad rebuilding this season.  Someone will be expecting some form of return on the field.

Serious question;

1. Chinese investment?  

2. Blitz investment?

3. Corney/Moisley performing miracles/master negotiators?

1 minute ago, Midsblue said:

Serious question;

1. Chinese investment?  

2. Blitz investment?

If it's the first 2 I can't see why the club would keep that quiet they would know full well an announcement of further investment would create a surge in season ticket sales and an increase feel good factor.

For that reason I would rule those 2 out.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

If you are finishing top 10 then effectively you are challenging for the top 6. 

It depends what remaining transfer business we do. If we bring in Ripley and maybe 1 or 2 others I'd be dissapointed if we don't finish in the top half.

Its also going to depend on our ability to pick ourselves up from a few dissapointments. We saw in 2011 and 2014 from Feb onwards our form plummet after a good start as we did in 2009. The last 2 seasons have seen us start abysmally and then recover really well from January onwards. Keeping that form going for an entire season will be the challenge. If we do then the top 6 will be gettable.

In conclusion my hope is the top 6 but I think we can raise the expectations abit of this squad looking what we have their is no reason why a top half finish shouldn't be seen as the expectation.

What that man said !!

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Pre season friendly results and even performances don't count fir nothing !

If it's the first 2 I can't see why the club would keep that quiet they would know full well an announcement of further investment would create a surge in season ticket sales and an increase feel good factor.

For that reason I would rule those 2 out.

As soon as people find out investment has been put in that is when players ask for silly amounts in contracts and clubs you are trying to get players from up the price. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was kept quiet. 

If Craig Davies 2nd debut is as good as his 1st debut then we will win he had Swansea on toast that day.

My recollection was we got a very early penalty, got battered for 90 mins and then scored against the run of play in stoppage time.

Swansea that day looked every bit the Champions they ended up as at the end of the season.

Edited by jsslatic

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

If Ripley does sign then we must be looking at Top 10 very least or even a sniff of play-offs.

Uncertain what's gone on behind the scenes financially but a serious wedge has been thrown at squad rebuilding this season.  Someone will be expecting some form of return on the field.

Serious question;

1. Chinese investment?  

2. Blitz investment?

I dunno, the only player I imagine we'd have to push the boat out for is Ripley.

All the others are signings of the calibre I'd expect us to make. Gardner on a free from Chesterfield, Davies on a free, Hunt probably won't have cost much upfront but will likely have a decent sell on, I imagine the same for Duffus too.

The biggest difference is that we're signing players to two and three year deals rather than just one, and we're obviously not going down the route of loaning players.

Other teams have made good signings too, so it's hard to gauge where we should be finishing, but as long as we're not in a relegation scrap for most of the season, it's progress.

Edited by PlayItLivo

50 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

My recollection was we got a very early penalty, got battered for 90 mins and then scored against the run of play in stoppage time.

Swansea that day looked every bit the Champions they ended up as at the end of the season.

They had alot of the ball but we counter attacked well through Davies who won the penalty and scored the winner everytime he got 1 on 1 with a defender he roasted them it was his best performance in a blue shirt.

It was a bloody good game overall between 2 good sides who  both finished top 8

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

This is it. Compared to the rest of the league's business we're still right down there, and I expect our position at the end of the season to reflect that. Though the defence  and our solidity should keep us safe enough from relegation.

Like you say, Oxford's signings eclipse ours for quality, as do the likes of Bury and Northampton inc all the usual suspects - maybe 8 or 9 of them at least. Taking off the blinkers I'm predicting another finish below 15th unless the likes of McLaughlin, Duffus, Flynn, Holloway and Fane all really flourish.

1 hour ago, jsslatic said:

Yep, that's how I saw it too. It was a bit of a footballing travesty that they didn't get the win...

We didn't start last season till the 12th of Jan so on that basis with the foundations built on there's no reason whatsoever that we can't hit the ground running and compete in the top half, by all accounts Harabin is working the socks off them and we are light years ahead of where we where 12 months ago.

Edited by yarddog73