Mclaughlin on his way??

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's our most versatile player so he'd be an enormous loss. Also somebody I'd looked forward to watch develop at the club. Does this mean Gardner to the right-wing like he was at Chesterfield or Flynn?

Once again I look at our squad and the creativity is lacking over everything else.

4 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

If selling McLaughlin helped pay Ripley's wages and also helped sign Douglas, I'll drive McLaughlin to whichever club he wants.

And I quite like McLaughlin.

I wouldn't, unless we had Ripley permanently.

If it was a season loan and a 36 year old for our biggest asset and most creative player I'd be sceptical.

I think he's currently our most saleable asset.  I was hoping we could get another 6 months or a year out of him then sell him for more as I thought he would have a very good season this time aroumd, but if it funds Ripley then so be it.

With Dummigan, Hunt, Wilson, Mantack and Flynn who can fill the positions on the right we should do OK.

3 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

He's our most versatile player so he'd be an enormous loss. Also somebody I'd looked forward to watch develop at the club. Does this mean Gardner to the right-wing like he was at Chesterfield or Flynn?

Once again I look at our squad and the creativity is lacking over everything else.

I think that is the Sheridan way these days, pragmatic/tough to beat rather than creative and free flowing.

42 minutes ago, Mouth On Legs said:

I was told the figures and clubs that are in for him and thats Sunderland and Wigan with the fee around 600k

This money would be used to bring a high profile but older defensive midfielder who for me would still be a cut above League One as well as fund a move for Conor Ripley this could be the reason why we haven't signed Conor.

600K, I think that's someway off the mark, whatever it is it will be undisclosed.

Either way he's as good as gone.

It's worth remembering that we only get your McLaughlin's if we are prepared to let them go when an offer comes in so on that basis I'm okay with it, same applies to Duffus who no doubt will be attracting interest already, can't begrudge them the move and a leg up if they are prepared to drop a level or two to establish themselves, it's a policy that could serve us very well even though its disappointing to lose someone with McLaughlin's quality.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Not saying you're wrong but it sounds like a lot of money for a lad who's had one half decent season.

Well as seen through our signings and money spent this pre season we are dealing with a different Simon Corney at the moment and that includes selling players for their true worth for once....

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I think that is the Sheridan way these days, pragmatic/tough to beat rather than creative and free flowing.

Given that our smallest striker is 6"2 and it's likely that our cheapest signing was an attacking midfielder it wasn't hard to guess the way we'll look to play a certain way.

14 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I think he's currently our most saleable asset.  I was hoping we could get another 6 months or a year out of him then sell him for more as I thought he would have a very good season this time aroumd, but if it funds Ripley then so be it.

With Dummigan, Hunt, Wilson, Mantack and Flynn who can fill the positions on the right we should do OK.

I agree he probably is our most sellable asset but his value (to us) is probably at it's peak now because he only has a year left on his contract.

I think £600k (if true) is a good deal for us. He has pace which is a very valuable commodity at this level. I'd prefer to keep him but if selling him allows us to bring in 2 or 3 quality signings, I can definitely see the logic in it.

7 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Whoever would sign Mclaughlin for 600k needs removing from his job pronto!

As for Douglas,no thanks we already have that player in Green.

Green or Douglas thats like deciding on whether to take the Astra out for the day or the Porsche

Deary me!!!

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Is this a new rule, you can't play in a friendly if there is any transfer speculation about you?

Do you think Corney would risk £600k on someone who has a history of a serious injury in a meaningless friendly?

1 minute ago, Mouth On Legs said:

Green or Douglas thats like deciding on whether to take the Astra out for the day or the Porsche

Deary me!!!

And here you are trying to convince us that Douglas is some kind of world beater ??? whatever