Mclaughlin on his way??

Some eyebrow raising posts so far! Lots of conjecture, and an interesting case of thinking that by six figure sum, the chronicle actually means five figure sum.

Honestly it's an interesting quandary. We all like McLaughlin, but if the fee is decent, and if we're likely to lose him for nothing in a year, it makes sense. We live on a fine line financially, so if it helps us get another good player, and pay or staff on time, I'd be inclined to back the manager 

It helps when you can trust the guy in the boss seat, rather than other gaffers we've had lately.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If McLaughlin is to be sold I have no issue as long as we get the going rate AND the money is reinvested we've not suddenly become a club where the chairman shits fifties so wheeling and dealing is fine by me as long as it bags us that midfield orchestrator and a decent keeper. 

People have short memories he was very hit and miss last season. When he's good he's good but he can be equally anonymous. Does Shez want to play with out and out width? 

I'll back the club in what they decide to do and if the figures being bandied about are true it's a no brainer.

maybe McLaughlin was the player watched by the two stoke scouts at Curzon last week?

Edited by oafcprozac

6 minutes ago, latics22 said:

600k for us in big money. However realistically in the world of football and even what players go for in our league. It's not a impossible figure, if cornet stood his ground:

Prefer it if he blew his own trumpet.

12 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

If McLaughlin is to be sold I have no issue as long as we get the going rate AND the money is reinvested we've not suddenly become a club where the chairman shits fifties so wheeling and dealing is fine by me as long as it bags us that midfield orchestrator and a decent keeper. 

People have short memories he was very hit and miss last season. When he's good he's good but he can be equally anonymous. Does Shez want to play with out and out width? 

I'll back the club in what they decide to do and if the figures being bandied about are true it's a no brainer.

maybe McLaughlin was the player watched by the two stoke scouts at Curzon last week?

Thought he was regularly outstanding when he played as an out-and-out winger....less so as a wing back and less so again as a fullback. In my opinion, play him as a winger with Wilson behind!!!

26 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

Can be good on his day but like a lot of players at this level inconsistent...as for Stoke looking......a premier league player he most definitely isn't!

16 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Can be good on his day but like a lot of players at this level inconsistent...as for Stoke looking......a premier league player he most definitely isn't!

You wont be the first nor the last to say that and end up with egg on your face, who knows where he will end up but he's a better player (imo) than Jay Fulton and he's turned out in the PL.

I'm fairly convinced we'll seldom be using wingers this season. Wing backs in either 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 diamond looks to be our best set up. If you get the correct players, using wing backs can be likeb having an extra player.

Unfortunately, Ryan Mac would also be our best wing back. Least we'd have Dummigan and Hunt.

10 minutes ago, boyinthesnow said:

if we had a spine of Clarke and Gerrard in defence and Green and Douglas in midfield would it be classed as a team with a lot of experience or a team that is verging on being past it? Or both?

Both, but one or more than one of Clark, Green or Douglas could blow up at any time and we'd lose them for the rest of the season.

25 minutes ago, boyinthesnow said:

if we had a spine of Clarke and Gerrard in defence and Green and Douglas in midfield would it be classed as a team with a lot of experience or a team that is verging on being past it? Or both?

With an hypothetical question like that is that why your known as boyinthesnow as opposed to boyintheknow? 

10 hours ago, palmer1 said:

he is a must keep for me and would be gutted to see him go.

He can cross the ball for fun and often did last season. The difference this season is we have a big strike force to get on the end of them...

Great call....should be a must for this season..

8 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

We should have signed Douglas when he left Leeds....then definitely when Swindon were relegated and he left them.

At 35 he's not the player we should be signing imo, we're 6 years too late.

Couldn't agree more....

20 minutes ago, ajw65 said:

Couldn't agree more....

But consider this. How old was Shez when he played his last season for us? His legs had gone, he had two dodgy knees, but he could virtually stand in the middle of the park shouting instructions and spraying passes about.

Is that a job that Douglas could do, albeit with (hopefully) some decent mobility? I don't think Shez wants someone to charge all over the shop, but someone who can dictate the game.

From that viewpoint, is he worth a gamble. I honestly don't know, but it could be a thought.

24 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

But consider this. How old was Shez when he played his last season for us? His legs had gone, he had two dodgy knees, but he could virtually stand in the middle of the park shouting instructions and spraying passes about.

Is that a job that Douglas could do, albeit with (hopefully) some decent mobility? I don't think Shez wants someone to charge all over the shop, but someone who can dictate the game.

From that viewpoint, is he worth a gamble. I honestly don't know, but it could be a thought.

Hardly comparable talents. Sheridan was top class.

35 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Whilst Douglas is undoubtedly a quality midfielder, comparing him to Shez is like comparing apples and oranges.

I would like McLaughlin to stay. I think he's a very promising player and provides pace and crossing ability that we otherwise lack in the squad.

But, he's got a poor injury record, is out of contract next summer, and his 19 league games last season don't mean we'd be losing an established and integral part of the side. If it means funds for two good players I'd reluctantly accept it.

Slightly bemused at some tweets asking why we can't bin Flynn and Banks instead - because nobody is offering six figures for them.

18 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Slightly bemused at some tweets asking why we can't bin Flynn and Banks instead - because nobody is offering six figures for them.

My opinion, Crusoe, for what it's worth is they:

Can't tackle

Can't head

Slow

Poor success ratio in passing and dead balls

There must £3k a week in wages there that can be freed up towards one, more effective player.