MERGE-O-TRON : Tonight's Meeting with Lee Johnson

So - just back in from the meeting. It was interesting.

Lee Johnson, Barry Owen and Simon Corney from the club, and us 12 or so fans.

My overiding emotion is i still think this is such a risky appointment for our current predicement BUT having now met and spoken with LJ; i know understand more why the full board were so keen to offer him the position.

He's very articulate (though he does sound a bit like Beckham) and his qualifications are impressive.

He's a real bullet point summary - but im sure the others will fill in & around:

• Very well qualified in terms of badges. Was fast tracked at the FA, hold all the badges, and has taken courses in leadership and sports science
  • Has actually watched out last 6 games and was very honest with his assessments of our current form and players
  • Has bucket loads of contacts - from direct family members all in the game; to friends at PL clubs and players in different countries.
  • He basically signed Korey Smith - after passing on the recommendation to SC even before he got the job!
  • Wants to bring in 1 or 2 more; and SC will give him the funds to do so.
  • At the moment, he'll have no Number 2 - but he has a short list of 3. The one he wants is at another club so will have to wait till summer for him. Happy to work with TP, PG & Byrne and Murray until then if needs be.
  • He has plans for how to set up the current players. There will be changes tomorrow night; someone is playing in a different role "for te team".
  • He's had a meet with 6 players today; the rest tomorrow. Some home truths spoken already.
  • He see's it as a project and he WILL leave the club in a better position than it currently is - his firm words.
  • He ruined the fitness of the side - said he'll do his best to get them up to speed as quick as poss but he'll have to initially set up to cater for the fact that we're "really an unfit side"
  • Players are good enough on the face of it. His job is o get them to believe that.
  • Really engaging and positive chap - impressed in him.
  • Simon went on a bit of rant for a while - i think he was set for a bit of scrap that wasnt our aim - and once he realised that, calmed down.
  • He filled in some more details on Furman, Matt Smith (who is definitely off to the Championship) and of the x2 trailists from the last 2 pre-seasons.

Barry then spoke about the other interviewees:

• Kuqi was one - but he really didn't impress.
  • John Gregory, Brian Little, John Coleman, Phil Brown all applied (small mersy's dor LJ then eh?)
  • And Dowie was never really ever on the cards - finances were the stumbling block - not length of contract.
  • Lee Johnson was backed up and vouched for by 2 high profile managers - 1 being King Kenny.
  • Barry expects the new stand to break ground in the summer.
  • Oh - and comedy moment goes to Prozac for his fall into the boardroom late entrance - it stopped Simon's mini rant so 2 birds and all that!!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After meeting with Lee today, I've total confidence in the man. Very modern approach to the game and he won't stand any messing from the players.

It was a pleasure to meet the guy and I think everyone should give him a chance and they might see something different than the usual crap weve been used to at BP.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow now.

Sounded like he is well aware that the coaching of youth team players has been well below standard since they have broken into the side (no names but surely Mellor and Winchester), and this is one of the foundations of his future tenure at BP. He touched on Croft vs. Millar which was an interesting point for me as I'm still of the opinion that Millar is the weakest of the current crop of youngsters, but if he can produce more in the LJ ethos then good luck to young Kirky in proving me wrong. Didn't get the chance to ask SC whether there is still an off-field issue with CW and DM (seems obvious with Mellor) which was a shame.

I feel the same ! He comes across as a really clever guy, wasent to confident last night but listening to him today he's impressed me with his plans and knowledge. Of course if it doesent work out the finger should only be pointed at Corney.

Give this guy a chance and let's get behind him but the only thing that worrys me is that Corney said the exact same thing about Dickov 3 years ago

• He's had a meet with 6 players today; the rest tomorrow. Some home truths spoken already.

Let's hope one of those players was Jose Baxter, and the home truth went something like "If I ever see you take a penalty like that again you'll be singing soprano for the rest of your days...."

He has agreed a budget with Corney which he is more than happy with.

He has a list of 30 players who he knows will be out of contract in the summer.

He is big in checking players out. They have to be the right fit for the team and be the right type if person. Sounds like the recruitment of players will be down to fact rather than taking a punt on someone.

He will train 3-4 different styles of play through first team to youths. So that the whole setup from top to bottom know how to play. So he'll defo have a plan b.

Wont be playing homself but will be playing for the reserves so he can see how youths and fringe players play close up.

Thanks to the fans who volunteered, gave up their time and energy to advise us all

I will reserve judgement, still think it's a bit of a risk to appoint a newbie to motivate this shower, but will support the club.

Will pray to the footy gods for the miracle....but won't be holding my breath.

Still game on tomoz (hopefully), let's see the motivation, improvement and a bloody win

Edited by underdog

Cheers for the update.

Did he go into much detail on his criticisms of individual players? If so, could you go into any more detail?

Obviously he didnt go into massive specifics of each player; but he did speak on Croft and Grounds.

Croft was really interesting actually.

He met with today (he was one of todays 6) and the 1st thing he did was to tell him (not ask him) to take out his earrings! Said some players are more interesting in saying they're a footballer than being one. He asked Croft outright this; which one was he; and Croft looked him in the eyes and said he's up for it / still wants to be a footballer.

Grounds wise - he's played with him and he knows he can be so much more than he's showing. Said he should be Championship minimum. Needs to stop whinging and moaning and become the leader and talker he can be. He's great to have the dressing room; but isnt showing it at present.

Also touched on kirk Millar. I think he rates him.

Dont be surprised to see Croft play 60mins and Kirk the other 30mins.

And yeah - Matt Smith to the Championship

A couple of things that stood out:

1) He had Baxter practicing penalties - ten of them, no dinks allowed.

2) Issues with footware - too many players wear moulds not studs.

3) Three styles of play through the club from top to bottom. Plan B and plan C.

4) Current lack of fitness - and plans to deal with it.

5) Lack of pace throughout the team - nothing to stretch opponents. I think some pace will be brought in.

As a PR selling job, they've convinced me this is a good appointment. Not just the front we got from Dickov, but an apparent substance beneath that. Smart bloke, knows the game, winning mentality.

I think he'll keep us up. He thinks we'll be far better next season. I buy it. For now.

Good luck Lee.

Outside that, credit to Lee, Barry and the club for setting it up. More of these please. And Simon, calm down dear - just because people have a pop at you from behind a keyboard it doesn't justify a generic rant.

Edited by opinions4u

Back myself from the meeting and agree with everything Sly has said. He was well spoken he cleary is full of ambition and and reminds me of a manager with old school ethics in a modern world. He also said he would not be playing for the first team but would play for the reserves as it would gave him a chance to work with the younger players.

Barry then spoke about the other interviewees:

• Kuqi was one - but he really didn't impress.
  • John Gregory, Brian Little, John Coleman, Phil Brown all applied (small mersy's dor LJ then eh?)
  • And Dowie was never really ever on the cards - finances were the stumbling block - not length of contract.
  • Lee Johnson was backed up and vouched for by 2 high profile managers - 1 being King Kenny.
  • Barry expects the new stand to break ground in the summer.
  • Oh - and comedy moment goes to Prozac for his fall into the boardroom late entrance - it stopped Simon's mini rant so 2 birds and all that!!

Were all these actually interviewed too?

Were all these actually interviewed too?

Fairly sure Corney said Little and Gregory applied and there was no point interviewing them again because he's done it before. Not sure Coleman got that far. I think Brown has been interviewed this time round but didn't get people excited.

Edited by opinions4u

Fairly sure Corney said Little and Gregory applied and there was no point interviewing them again because he's done it before.

Cheers, so the only ones who we know was actually interviewed aside from LJ were Brown and Kuqi

Edited by Lookers_Carl