The clubs official statement...

I want to see a start on this new ground prior to any sold off BP land.

This, this, one hundred times this.

Didn't another local sports team get screwed in a similar way. Build it first, then we'll go to it and they can work on homes on BP. Not the other way about.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are people getting off on an immediate negative stance about "only 12,000" on what I consider to be a phenominal opportunity to see OUR club both survive and prosper.

We are currently struggling to get 5,000 Tics to any home game, the ground wasn't even full last season for dirty Leeds when we were going well, it won't be full against Stockport and it won't be full against Exeter, even if we are top of the league by 30 points.

Imagine the atmosphere if the ground was ready for this season for the home game with MK Dons on Tuesday the 29th of September and the ground had 25,000 seats, roaring atmosphere ????? (I think not)

Before anyone starts to lambast the proposal, take a step back, realise TTA's have stuck their necks on the line once AGAIN for OUR club and are proposing a great future.

As Mr Benitez stated last January, "lets deal in facts".

The facts are there may be contingency plans to extend the new ground should success come our way, TTA's aren't stupid, they will have done their homework before this statement was released and not every single item on the agenda will have been discussed, such as ground extension, bars, catering facilities, parking etc, etc, etc.

The fact is BP is in a worse state than Freddie Flintoffs knees and this is an amazing opportunity to take OUR club forward, not settle for Division 3 or Division 4 football.

Please, please please ALL Tics fans, back TTA's and

K E E P T H E F A I T H

get emailing the club with these views, totally agree. if we were to ever become established in the champ we would get 8-10k a week crowds then 3-4k away fans = more than 12k capacity!!

It would be a bit rich to start emailing Simon Corney with complaints that the stadium being built isn't big enough for potential future crowds. :lol:

Maybe this is where TTA recoup?

which the club will get nailed for with a huge bill...

a 12000 stadium would not create enough revenue to run a premier league club

no matter how many pop concerts and so on are planned

in that case we develop more, but were all forgetting were a long way from premiership at the mo, i think this is looking at establishing us as a championshiop side making a tidy profit, from here we can move up,

its all one step at a time, if we go for a major project and skip attempting stability first we will be taking a big big risk

Thoughts and concerns...

Positives

Transport links good (bus & metro link)

Fact we will be getting a new stadium (if this finally happens)

Negatives / Concerns

Very vague comments on what other leisure / corporate opportunities will be created and where the profits will go. Considering its been widely stated that without turning the club into a 24/7 business it cant survive. When Oldham Arena was announced, hotels, gyms and conference facilities where mentioned from the word go. This time, little solid talked about.

When will BP be knocked down ?

Will we have to ground share for a short / long time ?

If stadium is knocked down will money be ring fenced for a new stadium ? or will be the scope for more issues to come up after BP is knocked down meaning we lose are home and have nothing to show for it ? *cough* lookers stand...

Will the stadium be easy expandable ?

Any decent pubs near the ground?

12,000 feels too small...

Hopefully more details to come...

Edited by oafc0000

This, this, one hundred times this.

Didn't another local sports team get screwed in a similar way. Build it first, then we'll go to it and they can work on homes on BP. Not the other way about.

And then there was:

Charlton Athletic - took the best part of 20 years to get back to The Valley

Wimbledon - left The Plough thinking they would once again play in Merton

Brighton And Hove Albion - finally geting a stadium after years of groundsharing/playing at an athletics stadium

I'm sad to be leaving Boundary Park but the most important thing for me is that we have a cast iron guarantee of a new stadium before any deal to sell Boundary Park is completed.

Whats with all this "am sure it will be built so it's capacity can be increased" rubbish? the only way Colchester could increse it's capacity currently would be to knock a stand down and build a bigger one.

Agreed... Some people really need to stop reading between the lines... Or as I call it, making stuff up....

in that case we develop more, but were all forgetting were a long way from premiership at the mo, i think this is looking at establishing us as a championshiop side making a tidy profit, from here we can move up,

its all one step at a time, if we go for a major project and skip attempting stability first we will be taking a big big risk

YES WE KNOW THIS but i think we all are just looking for a bit of clarity in the statement along the lines of '12,000 with permission to increase to 20,000+ if needed in the future'

Lags we struggle to get 5000. Why do we need more than 12000?

Cos with 12,000 we cannot even imagine to remain in the championship more than 2 maybe 3 seasons. Lacks ambition. And I like a future where I can dream.

Lags we struggle to get 5000. Why do we need more than 12000?

I think the point is that the ground will (hopefully) be around for decades. Catering for what we are likely to attract over the next few seasons could well hold is back further down the line.

I think it's too small, but if built with potential for future development then it's acceptable as it's progress.

Cos with 12,000 we cannot even imagine to remain in the championship more than 2 maybe 3 seasons. Lacks ambition. And I like a future where I can dream.

We should be looking at 18,000... That for me would show some ambition....

The size and location of this thing though are a side issue... Bigger issues to talk about...

I know its been specualted on for a while but now its official..... cant say im enthused by this, namely because of the location were going to, i dont disagree as i recognise the club is dying on its arse and if needs be then with a move away from BP so be it but FAILSWORTH?? On the very edge right next to Manchester, im sure somebodys already mentioned the people there dont consider themselves Oldhamers. It may attract some new faces at first but how long till the novelty wears off them and they dont wish to view league 1 football with who they might consider unfashionable opponents. If the idea is once we have Championship football people round there may come more regularly then why not build on a site in a site closer to oldham itself, surely this one is not hte only option? I dont want to sound negative about it as its not the moving thats getting me, its where we are moving to. I also can't see how we are meant to compete with City in the area if they have similar priced tickets to ours but a better standard. I know we compete now, but i feel we had better chance up here to attract non latics followers, and thats saying something as to how well i think we could do down there as we've not exactly attracted many here now as the new site would be a lot closer to city and people may think they may just as well travel that bit further. How will the fan bases up around BP and in the opposite direction to failsworth cope i wonder? i dont mean the current fan base (me included) who most likely will follow wherever, i mean for future people of these areas who might not know somebody who follows latics be it a dad/relative/friends people from Shaw, Royton and Sholver etc. how will they be inclined to follow latics potentially being a lot further away. Gutted is how i feel, hopefully its all for the better, il still follow the lads as ive invested too much effort into them to just give up on em, like im sure many others have, i hope someone comes along soon enough to cheer us up with words of wisdom on how this will work for the future!

12,000 would not sustain Latics in the championship. Downsized plans for a downsized club. OAFC have settled for league one and league two status.

Give Wardle is equal share and bring back his cash. I want to see a start on this new ground prior to any sold off BP land.

Hang on Lags, you're making a rash judgement without seeing the whole plans. It was just a press release outlining the plan as a whole. I'm sure there is scope to add more to the capacity as and when we grow to our percieved potential. It makes sense to build a comfortable ground for our current position, rather than building a 25,000 stadium and keep our fingers crossed for promotion and establishment at a higher level.

I can understand the negativity which is being displayed - a move of this magnitude is bound to unsettle a lot. And parts of the BP land will be sold off while we're playing (seeing that a fair amount of it is wasteland it'd make sense too) which I'm fine with. But I think as long as you have the council on board things start moving. It's something we've never had the luxury of in previous proposals, but the council are 100% behind this which can only be a good thing.

How do I feel? I like it on the whole. I'm keen to see how the land ownership of the new site is laid out - the club still needs an asset, but the location is fine for me, in fact from a marketing perspective it's an ideal location to attract fans from across manchester, rather than just in our own borough. It'll be far easier for people in places like Prestwich, Swinton and other parts of the city to get there via the Metrolink, which opens up a huge potential market which we had no way of tapping into previously. I also imagine they'll run more park and ride type things which seems to be the in-thing at places like Colchester etc.

But like most Latics fans, I'm not jumping for joy, simply because I'm too used to seeing plans turn into embers. Once the diggers start moving in, that's when I'll be getting the butterflies about it all.

heres what they are saying:

1) we are here facing more losses in a place that is losing us money

2) this is where they are aiming for next, to move into a new stadium that will make a tidy profit and ensure latics survival

3) from the stable base which is stage 2 they can then move up as the club gets bigger, ie if the club becomes a major player they can develop more as needed (bigger capacity etc)

seems to me people want to go from stage 1 straight to stage 3

but not having a stable base to improve on will probs be too risky for the club and they will have nothing to fall back on if it goes wrong, which is why they are building the stadium like this, so we still remain secure

reason for edit: where the bold number 3 is i originally put 2 by mistake

Edited by thelaticsfan

I'm not that bothered about it being in Failsworth, as it's still in the borough, but the site is probably less than a mile from Manchester.

Christ! I've just had a thought... Any cup games at home to City or Scum could be a bit tasty. We'd be playing our home games on their manor - they wouldn't have to travel far if they wanted a ruck. There could be thousands of the knuckle dragging buggers outside after the final whistle.

Why not? When that happens maybe they will think about it then? Blackpool are into their 3rd season in the championship and have only just started digging the foundations out for a 3rd stand. they very rarely sell out in that league in a stadium that holds less than 10000 and there isn't much difference in size between us.

Once the diggers start moving in, that's when I'll be getting the butterflies about it all.

If the diggers just move in on BP I will be having serious butterflies considering whats all ready gone on...

The idea of knocking down BP before getting a new stadium is what worries me. Although nothing has been confirmed yet.

Why are people getting off on an immediate negative stance about "only 12,000" on what I consider to be a phenominal opportunity to see OUR club both survive and prosper.

We are currently struggling to get 5,000 Tics to any home game, the ground wasn't even full last season for dirty Leeds when we were going well, it won't be full against Stockport and it won't be full against Exeter, even if we are top of the league by 30 points.

Imagine the atmosphere if the ground was ready for this season for the home game with MK Dons on Tuesday the 29th of September and the ground had 25,000 seats, roaring atmosphere ????? (I think not)

Before anyone starts to lambast the proposal, take a step back, realise TTA's have stuck their necks on the line once AGAIN for OUR club and are proposing a great future.

As Mr Benitez stated last January, "lets deal in facts".

The facts are there may be contingency plans to extend the new ground should success come our way, TTA's aren't stupid, they will have done their homework before this statement was released and not every single item on the agenda will have been discussed, such as ground extension, bars, catering facilities, parking etc, etc, etc.

The fact is BP is in a worse state than Freddie Flintoffs knees and this is an amazing opportunity to take OUR club forward, not settle for Division 3 or Division 4 football.

Please, please please ALL Tics fans, back TTA's and

K E E P T H E F A I T H

im totally behind tta ,,thats why i dont want them to make a huge mistake at this critical time..

im not looking at this season or next or the next 5 seasons...its the long term future im thinking when our boys are in the prem....so what if theres only 4000 at home to walsall next season in a 20000 season..

at least we will be ready and raring to go when the inevitable happens and we are back in the prem..

last thing we want is going on a good end of season run in the championship,,getting promoted to the prem overnight then saying,,,oh :censored: we not got enough seats for this....can a 12000 stadium be made into a 20000 stadium between april-august?

Progress has to be built on some momentum, though. Does a club that seems barely interested in attracting crowds of more than 12,000 no matter what appear to hold serious ambitions?

Little more than a decade ago we competed on a equal footing with Bolton (having left them behind shortly before that.) Now our best case scenario seems to be a ground less than half the size of theirs.

2) this is where they are aiming for next, to move into a new stadium that will make a tidy profit and ensure latics survival

While I hope thats the plan. Without getting more details its hard to make that assumption. Building a new stadium will not ensure our survival. External business needs to be built giving profit all year round. How this will be achieved at the new site is far from being established.

I think we need to walk before we run. I agree in future we would hope we have need for a bigger stadium but TTA's mission is to make the club self sufficient. I am sure they have done the maths and made predictions using their heads and not their hearts that the added cost of building and maintaining a larger stadium at the moment is not for the best financially.

Why couldn't we compete in the Championship with only a 12000 seater stadium? If we had a bigger stadium i doubt we'd go over the 12000 mark on attendences that often.