The clubs official statement...

From reading the statement it says we will undertake a long-term lease with the council upon completion of the stadium. I think the stated capacity is irrelevent at the moment, 12,000 is fine for a League 1/Emerging Championship side. I'm sure it would be looked into that the stadium could be expanded in future should there be need to. Sports Park 2000 had scope to this, can't see why this cannot be done.

The location and transport links will be good. Will give us a bigger base, attracting more fans from Failsworth, Newton Heath etc.

Still a lot of information and questions to be answered about this.

First hurdle Cabinet Approval tomorrow evening!

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12,000 would not sustain Latics in the championship. Downsized plans for a downsized club. OAFC have settled for league one and league two status.

Give Wardle is equal share and bring back his cash. I want to see a start on this new ground prior to any sold off BP land.

Your middle names not kneejerk by any chance?

look people we start building too big of a project we will probably crash and burn,

yes your right 10 years ago we were big but guess what

IT WAS 10 YEARS AGO

lets get the club stable 1st, cos truth is, were not stable yet as they said profits have slumped and were a dying club,

ONCE WE ARE STABLE then lets look at improving, we can build on the 12000 then and make it bigger but why do it straight away? lets do it when we start attracting crowds closer to the 10000 mark and not the 5000 mark

If the diggers just move in on BP I will be having serious butterflies considering whats all ready gone on...

The idea of knocking down BP before getting a new stadium is what worries me. Although nothing has been confirmed yet.

When the diggers move in and knock BP down will be when the new ground is already up and fully functional. Of that I'm quite sure. There is absolutely NO plan to groundshare anywhere whatsoever.

This hasn't been stated in the press releae by the way, but it's what I'm led to believe.

What's the closest National Rail station to the Lancaster Club? My mind's gone blank. Is it Dean Lane? That's still a fair walk.

Surely the location of the nearest future metro station is the biggest question mark ?

Dean Lane is probably closer than Werneth or Oldham Station :)

When the diggers move in and knock BP down will be when the new ground is already up and fully functional. Of that I'm quite sure. There is absolutely NO plan to groundshare anywhere whatsoever.

This hasn't been stated in the press releae by the way, but it's what I'm led to believe.

I hope your right... But like you said, nothing said one way or the other...

Edited by oafc0000

Hang on Lags, you're making a rash judgement without seeing the whole plans. It was just a press release outlining the plan as a whole. I'm sure there is scope to add more to the capacity as and when we grow to our percieved potential. It makes sense to build a comfortable ground for our current position, rather than building a 25,000 stadium and keep our fingers crossed for promotion and establishment at a higher level.

I can understand the negativity which is being displayed - a move of this magnitude is bound to unsettle a lot. And parts of the BP land will be sold off while we're playing (seeing that a fair amount of it is wasteland it'd make sense too) which I'm fine with. But I think as long as you have the council on board things start moving. It's something we've never had the luxury of in previous proposals, but the council are 100% behind this which can only be a good thing.

How do I feel? I like it on the whole. I'm keen to see how the land ownership of the new site is laid out - the club still needs an asset, but the location is fine for me, in fact from a marketing perspective it's an ideal location to attract fans from across manchester, rather than just in our own borough. It'll be far easier for people in places like Prestwich, Swinton and other parts of the city to get there via the Metrolink, which opens up a huge potential market which we had no way of tapping into previously. I also imagine they'll run more park and ride type things which seems to be the in-thing at places like Colchester etc.

But like most Latics fans, I'm not jumping for joy, simply because I'm too used to seeing plans turn into embers. Once the diggers start moving in, that's when I'll be getting the butterflies about it all.

We've downsized on a massive scale no matter how we tart it up. 80 Million to 20 Million stadium and down to 12,000 seats. With the Cochester stadium as our example. Give me MK Dons type stadium and yes you can all say it's being built with vision and ambition. Unquestionable abilty to increase size and stature to Championship level.

Edited by Lags

What's the closest National Rail station to the Lancaster Club? My mind's gone blank. Is it Dean Lane? That's still a fair walk.

New platform to be built at the site of the ground by the sound of it. Only open on matchdays.

From reading the statement it says we will undertake a long-term lease with the council upon completion of the stadium. I think the stated capacity is irrelevent at the moment, 12,000 is fine for a League 1/Emerging Championship side. I'm sure it would be looked into that the stadium could be expanded in future should there be need to. Sports Park 2000 had scope to this, can't see why this cannot be done.

The location and transport links will be good. Will give us a bigger base, attracting more fans from Failsworth, Newton Heath etc.

Still a lot of information and questions to be answered about this.

First hurdle Cabinet Approval tomorrow evening!

SP 2000 had a proposed 15,000 capacity to begin with though.

Lags I recall you were in favour of stadiums that fit the clubs that played there. Think you used Rushden & Diamonds as an example. I can't see how a 12k stadium is too small for a 5.5k matchday fanbase at the moment, even riding high in this league we haven't averaged much more than 6k.

We've downsized on a massive scale no matter how we tart it up. 80 Million to 20 Million stadium and down to 12,000 seats. With the Cochester stadium as our example. Give me MK Dons type stadium and yes you can all say it's being built with vision and ambition. Unquestionable abilty to increase size a stature to Championship level.

A 12,000 capacity stadium cements our status as one of the jokey little clubs.

It's about smack in the middle of Failsworth and Dean Lane mate. I think Failsworth edges it. Bout a 10 minute walk from there.

i could be wrong but i think the 24 and 81 both go past it as well.

And from a purely selfish point of view the National Express from Liverpool stops about 10 minutes walk away.

A 12,000 capacity stadium cements our status as one of the jokey little clubs.

The more I think about it the size is an issue going forward unless there is scope for it to be extended without major redevelopment. We should also get the planning permission for this extension in the future if thats possible ?

Lags I recall you were in favour of stadiums that fit the clubs that played there. Think you used Rushden & Diamonds as an example. I can't see how a 12k stadium is too small for a 5.5k matchday fanbase at the moment, even riding high in this league we haven't averaged much more than 6k.

It's all about vision though. 12,000 capacity suggests no serious ambition.

Recall again Brother. Wrong face.

this is exactly what we wanted!

stable future, chance to develop, better land, no ground share, we dont have to move anywhere or sell anything till stadium is built, council is happy

but people arent happy because were not building to rival wembley :huh:

Your not really listening to some of the valid concerns are you....

SP 2000 had a proposed 15,000 capacity to begin with though.

It did indeed. I think 12,000 for where we are now is fine but there has to be room to expand should the need arise, if it doesn't have that then I wouldn't be happy with the plans.

it was my understanding tta were looking to the future and hopefully not letting the club stand still like it has done for the last 15 years...so you got to aim for the top and no way will this stadium be big enough....man u,,,city,,,liverpool,,,everton,will all fill the stadium themselves

20000 minimum please simon

Let's say that we make it into the Championship (and I sincerely hope we do!).

Football League rules guarantee 10% of stadium capacity to away fans. That means that we'd have 10,800 seats to play with if needed which, is more than enough in my opinion.

What about all those lovely away fans we'll be turning away? Well for a start, on the majority of matchdays we can always allocate them some of the 10,800 home seats that undoubtedly won't be filled. Even if the sold out signs go up once in a while, is the lost revenue really going to compare to the extra capital required to add 4,000 / 8,000 extra seats? Say we were to lose out on 4,000 extra fans in a quarter of our home games, it would probably take 5 years of this happening before we made the initial capital outlay back.

Provided there is flexibility to increase, I don't see the point of building a 16,000 / 20,000 capacity stadium that's going to be half empty for the majority of games.

Now, if the plans we're to be scaled down below 12,000...

this is exactly what we wanted!

stable future, chance to develop, better land, no ground share, we dont have to move anywhere or sell anything till stadium is built, council is happy

but people arent happy because were not building to rival wembley :huh:

Building something to rival other north-west clubs we used to comfortably compete with would be nice, though.