Barry Owen on Attendances

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well lets put em all in one place then, in here. And lets have some answers with a bit of substance.

Answer questions relevant to yourselves.

IF you were a former season ticket holder and within the last few years decided not to renew? Why did you decide to not renew and what would make you get a season ticket next year?

If you normally pay on the door and are not going to as many games this year, why is this, and what can the club to to encourage you to attend more?

Fair enough. However as has been said about numerous other topics , direct communications are more effective than indirect.

I.e. Send them to the club as well as post them. Or PM Barry via his account on here. It would only take about 30 secs more. for anybody with ideas to do that.

The problem is so simple and yet so difficult to solve.

Many of the younger generation in Oldham actually consider themsleves to be Mancunian. :petesake:

They don't care about Oldham and they don't care about Latics. If I go away with my mates they tell people they're from Manchester, I say I'm from Oldham and vehemently refute being a Manc, to their disgust. They embrace it and pretend to be Ian Brown.

Crucially, they therefore think it's perfectly acceptable to support United/City, plus they enjoy it for free!

I fear it will only get worse.

It's fine to ask people why they aren't attending.

Is the product actually there to make them want to come back?

The football has been poor for months and the marketing has been diabolical for years.

And having to miss 5 minutes of the game to get a pie early due to them always selling out before half time doesn't help.

Edited by opinions4u

It strikes me he doesn't spend too much time on here....... we have had endless debates on this subject, and also as Prozac says some really good suggestions for promotional offers.

I would like to open a debate as to which way the fans want to take the club forward?

I would like them to have their say and give us some ideas as what would tempt them back? Tell us what we are not doing which would make them return?

Is he taking the piss ?? We are on here every day talking about this stuff... :ranting:

Well lets put em all in one place then, in here. And lets have some answers with a bit of substance.

Answer questions relevant to yourselves.

IF you were a former season ticket holder and within the last few years decided not to renew? Why did you decide to not renew and what would make you get a season ticket next year?

If you normally pay on the door and are not going to as many games this year, why is this, and what can the club to to encourage you to attend more?

Considering we have been doing this for on here for months and it has slipped Barrys attention is their much point in repeating it ? Serious question...

Edited by oafc0000

The problem is so simple and yet so difficult to solve.

I think larger problems are hard to solve. Like how do we get the wider people in the town to invest into the club.

Some of the things that caused season tickets holders and regulars to recently leave are less hard to solve I think.

Edited by oafc0000

Considering we have been doing this for on here for months and it has slipped Barrys attention is their much point in repeating it ? Serious question...

I agree 100% and was going to say the same. I'd actually like to ask him what did he expect considering our perferformances at the end of last season, the fact we hadn't won at home in months until Carlsle, the wholescale staff changes (again) and frankly everything else thats going on. It's not a chicken and egg situation, the attendences are poor because of whats going on in the club.

I think larger problems are hard to solve. Like how do we get the wider people in the town to invest into the club.

Isn't that largely the same problem? :unsure:

Some of the things that caused season tickets holders and regulars to recently leave are less hard to solve I think.

I think it's very simple, no mystery, they're tired of it. I couldn't understand it until fairly recently.

On Saturday I saw a bloke I know who has been going to Latics for longer than I have been alive. He told me he has bought a season ticket at City. Whilst I'm sure he would be in our end in a cup match it does speak volumes.

Ok here the reasons why I am not currently going, some down to the club some down to wider problems...

• Cost :- food, drink, travel, ticket into game is about £50+ for me per game
  • Decision to sack Shez with 7 games to go pissed me off no end. Spent all season offering my support and then when it came to the crunch the board lost its bottle. Can I be arsed supporting the team/manager for another season to watch us sack another manager at the wrong time.
  • Atmosphere is dead
  • Our fans are messirable. Too much infighting regarding standing / sitting and no interest in coming to a happy solution. THis is all regardless of the law. Im talking about not getting a ST near the away fans if you dont want people standing in front of you. Simple stuff. By the way, I sit to the right as I bring a kid when I come and dont want people stood in front of me. Just feel there is no unity in the fans anymore.
  • Food at the ground. Runs out barely fives mins into half time leaving me hungry
  • Fan on the board / trust situation is nothing short of pathetic
  • Feel like we are being rail roaded into a move to failsworth which has not been proved to be the best option.
  • My friends dont go anymore

I think mainly its about the game day experience. Its not worth the money any more. I dont walk away thinking I had a good day out.

Edited by oafc0000

1. Improve product on the pitch

2. Increase scouting network to encompass non-league and unearth gems

3. Free entry to local schools to boost attendance and guardians (they'll buy refreshments plus convert over locals from the Prem teams)

4. Money back on ticket prices if match attendance exceeds X

Loads and loads of suggestions Mr Owen but you'll have to give away entry to boost attendance until we're in a Play-Off/promotion position and promotion thereafter

3. Free entry to local schools to boost attendance and guardians (they'll buy refreshments plus convert over locals from the Prem teams)

We COULD make a lot of money from doing that when the kids buy lots of burgers etc... IF the club had the brains to stock the stadium with enough food...

Do it every game, let kids in for free, and we can make alot money or out source for a lot more money....

Edited by oafc0000

Going off the fans I have spoke to (and I imagine with others it will be similar) the following issues have arose

Cost: Recession or not, there is absolutely no way you can polish this. The widely held opinion amongst many fans is that £20 on the door is too much for league one football. Period. And the club have been somewhat reluctant to try any sort of serious scheme to get fans back through the door. All I hear from this club is excuses as to why we have to settle for the way things are, rather than generating ideas to take the club forward.

Lack of Progress: How many people on here would hand on heart, classify Oldham Athletic as a club with no ambition? We have been in this division for 12 seasons going on 13. And we have not budged. Two play off challenges, the city game and the everton game sum up our 'success' in 12 years. Considering next season both Manchester clubs could well have champions league football (and one of them charges only a little bit more than us), its just something we are going to have to compete with and the sooner we deal with that and have a good look as to how we can do that, the better, as opposed to burying our heads in the sand

The marketing at the club is nothing more than a joke/non existent, which I find astounding considering we are run by three self made businessmen, would have though they would have known a thing or two about marketing.

In 2005 I remember having a big open forum in the RRE where fans could air their views. Why not do that again? Afraid a few home truths might be hammered home?

We COULD make a lot of money from doing that when the kids by lots of burgers etc... IF the club had the brains to stop the stadium with enough good...

Do it every game, let kids in for free, and we can make alot money or out source for a lot more money....

I've always wondered why this has never happened. Even pay the guardians to attend as the return on refreshments will cover the cost. It boosts attendance, improves atmosphere, even provide discounted shirts to kids who will wear instead of any other team and even discounted tickets for adults whose kids attends five matches. That way they have the bug, nag their parents to attend and we even start converting some of the adults over too.

I'd much prefer to have 12,000 filling the stadium each game supporting the club but getting in for free or buying a discounted ticker than 3,000 people paying full price.

Huddersfield tried it and it succeeded with attendances increasing who actually pay full-priced admission

Going off the fans I have spoke to (and I imagine with others it will be similar) the following issues have arose

Cost: Recession or not, there is absolutely no way you can polish this. The widely held opinion amongst many fans is that £20 on the door is too much for league one football. Period. And the club have been somewhat reluctant to try any sort of serious scheme to get fans back through the door. All I hear from this club is excuses as to why we have to settle for the way things are, rather than generating ideas to take the club forward.

Lack of Progress: How many people on here would hand on heart, classify Oldham Athletic as a club with no ambition? We have been in this division for 12 seasons going on 13. And we have not budged. Two play off challenges, the city game and the everton game sum up our 'success' in 12 years. Considering next season both Manchester clubs could well have champions league football (and one of them charges only a little bit more than us), its just something we are going to have to compete with and the sooner we deal with that and have a good look as to how we can do that, the better, as opposed to burying our heads in the sand

The marketing at the club is nothing more than a joke/non existent, which I find astounding considering we are run by three self made businessmen, would have though they would have known a thing or two about marketing.

In 2005 I remember having a big open forum in the RRE where fans could air their views. Why not do that again? Afraid a few home truths might be hammered home?

And that coming from a trust director. As I know you Carl are you as vociferous at meetings? Particularly in putting your views across to Barry as to how the club is perceived to be run and one of many reasons for the apathetic Oldham public?

We COULD make a lot of money from doing that when the kids by lots of burgers etc... IF the club had the brains to stop the stadium with enough good...

Said this for years myself. We aren't going to get kids coming en masse at even cheap prices. Let them in for free (pick an area - section to the side of the Chaddy/RRE seems best) every game. Get to 16 charge them a small number of pounds (and let them into the real parts of the ground). Get to eighteenish - well it's now or never, but surely we'll have some staying. It'll get into their blood, you know, how pretty much all of us became stupid enough to throw twenty notes at the club to watch a bunch of amateurs kick plastic/leather onto the car park.

I've always wondered why this has never happened. Even pay the guardians to attend as the return on refreshments will cover the cost. It boosts attendance, improves atmosphere, even provide discounted shirts to kids who will wear instead of any other team and even discounted tickets for adults whose kids attends five matches. That way they have the bug, nag their parents to attend and we even start converting some of the adults over too.

I'd much prefer to have 12,000 filling the stadium each game supporting the club but getting in for free or buying a discounted ticker than 3,000 people paying full price.

Huddersfield tried it and it succeeded with attendances increasing who actually pay full-priced admission

I have edited my post. I am surprised you decoded it so well :)

We should of been doing it years ago.

Can I also just say I doubt its the cost... I know people on minimum wage with kids who still go to Boundary Park.

I think providing value for money is more important than lowering the cost.

Unfortunately for those of us who go regardless, £20 is seen as the price which generates the most revenue which, in turn, dictates the standard of 'product' (or value for money).

Whether or not that needs reviewing I don't know.

I think we need promotion out of this division and then a side that could compete in the championship to gets the crowds back. We have stagnated in this division for so many years that many fans have thrown the towel in and the odd decent run of form is not going to bring them back.

On the pitch there are signs of a group of players and management team that are putting the effort in. What we need is goals and excitement week in week out. Joe's team of the mid-late 80s before the glory years was always an attractive proposition for neutrals and floaters - often averaging between 5,500-7,000 albeit in a higher division. And that was all around a time when we'd been perceived as stagnating in that division. (We'd been in Division 2 for 12 1/2 years when I first started to attend)