Barry Owen on Attendances

Can I also just say I doubt its the cost... I know people on minimum wage with kids who still go to Boundary Park.

I think providing value for money is more important than lowering the cost.

I am sure there are plenty of people out there who simply cannot afford it however I think there are more out there who can afford the £20 but do not see the value in it.

If at the moment the majority of people turning up are season ticket holders and we are making naff all on the door why not trial say a month of selling tickets to pay on the door fans at say £12-14 and actually promote it and see what happens. If the gates go up and we make a bit of money then keep it going if not go back to £20....

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately for those of us who go regardless, £20 is seen as the price which generates the most revenue which, in turn, dictates the standard of 'product' (or value for money).

Whether or not that needs reviewing I don't know.

I see value for money as:

• Going to a ground that is reasonably comfortable to sit in (not a three sided wind trap),
  • Being able to buy some food and drink at half time.
  • Enjoy a reasonable atmosphere.
  • Watch a team capable of winning the game.

Now if that costs £10 or £30 I don't think is the biggest issue. Its getting those simple things right that is a key move. Its goes some way to explain why I choose to spend my money somewhere else at the moment.

Edited by oafc0000

I think we need promotion out of this division and then a side that could compete in the championship to gets the crowds back. We have stagnated in this division for so many years that many fans have thrown the towel in and the odd decent run of form is not going to bring them back.

But then we would need bigger crowds again otherwise we wouldn't have the funds to achieve this, let alone sustain it.

The game needs restructuring to save our sorts. As the majority of people are happy with the Premiership set-up, and as it makes lots of people rich, this wont happen anytime soon.

It's a real :censored:ter. :)

If at the moment the majority of people turning up are season ticket holders and we are making naff all on the door why not trial say a month of selling tickets to pay on the door fans at say £12-14 and actually promote it and see what happens. If the gates go up and we make a bit of money then keep it going if not go back to £20....

As season ticket sales the next season would be, shall we say, down.

I see value for money as:

• Going to a ground that is reasonably comfortable to sit in (not a three sided wind trap),
  • Being able to buy some food and drink at half time.
  • Enjoy a reasonable atmosphere.
  • Watch a team capable of winning the game.

Now if that costs £10 or £30 I don't think is the biggest issue. Its getting those simple things right that is a key move. Its goes some way to explain why I choose to spend my money somewhere else at the moment.

Points one, three and four go back to the chicken and the egg situation. Point two isn't a big deal to many, and it's not as bad as often made out on here.

We aren't getting anywhere are we? Sugar daddy anyone?

Points one, three and four go back to the chicken and the egg situation. Point two isn't a big deal to many, and it's not as bad as often made out on here.

We aren't getting anywhere are we? Sugar daddy anyone?

People have made a very good suggestion of letting children in for free... As many as the stadium can hold... We will make a tidy packet on food alone.

I dont get your chicken and egg comment by the way. I have been supporting the team for well over 20 years and 12 of those years I have seen little change while being a fully active supporter. There comes a point where peoples start giving up when all there suggestions like the one above go ignored while having people like Barry moaning in the manner he is doing.

The points above do represent value for money and what needs to be provided to win fans.

Edited by oafc0000

There is no point encouraging kids to attend and then after they are 16 expect them to pay full price. We lose so many fans in the 17-25 age bracket that as students/young adults can't afford to attend. Once dislocated from the club the link is broken for ever.

Quite frankly my wife and I prefer to go to away matches now, but even that in this Southern based division is harder.

We have been moved from the Lookers, then decamped to the RRE and this season have moved to the main stand paddock where the facilities are decrepid.

That proves the point that we need a new ground, but where are we going? FAILSWORTH. How many fans want to move to Failsworth. Once the novelty has worn off if we think that 3,500 is bad we will be down to 2,500 without any trouble.

Over the last 12 months even the most optimistic/ardent fans are getting totally hacked off and some are voting with their feet.

People have made a very good suggestion of letting children in for free... As many as the stadium can hold... We will make a tidy packet on food alone.

The stadium couldn't even cater for 5000 kids attending for free. Even if they did and we somehow made £2 off each one....that's £10,000, but we've no seats left to sell. Not to mention all the extra overheads from the increased attendance. Whoopee....

Letting kids in for free could be likened to a loss-leader.

I dont get your chicken and egg comment by the way. I have been supporting the team for well over 20 years and 12 of those years I have seen little change while being a fully active supporter. There comes a point where peoples start giving up when all there suggestions like the one above go ignored while having people like Barry moaning in the manner he is doing.

The points above do represent value for money and what needs to be provided to win fans.

It's really very simple. The 'points above' cannot be provided without significant funding. Significant funding cannot be sought without people attending. People will not attend until the 'points above' are provided.

Ya dig?

Whoa. To say that Barry is moaning implies something pejorative . Looking at it from another perspective it's about opening up to ideas. And the best way is direct to the club or Barry!

You say suggestions are ignored, well some will be, but it's harder to ignore if something is on your desk rather than on a messageboard that has its share of crazies (nothing personal by the way, but we do get visited by "eccentrics" !). As I've said to you before, I've always had responses to my emails.

There is no point encouraging kids to attend and then after they are 16 expect them to pay full price. We lose so many fans in the 17-25 age bracket that as students/young adults can't afford to attend. Once dislocated from the club the link is broken for ever.

Quite frankly my wife and I prefer to go to away matches now, but even that in this Southern based division is harder.

We have been moved from the Lookers, then decamped to the RRE and this season have moved to the main stand paddock where the facilities are decrepid.

That proves the point that we need a new ground, but where are we going? FAILSWORTH. How many fans want to move to Failsworth. Once the novelty has worn off if we think that 3,500 is bad we will be down to 2,500 without any trouble.

Over the last 12 months even the most optimistic/ardent fans are getting totally hacked off and some are voting with their feet.

Good post, and a great opening point.

The stadium couldn't even cater for 5000 kids attending for free. Even if they did and we somehow made £2 off each one....that's £10,000, but we've no seats left to sell. Not to mention all the extra overheads from the increased attendance. Whoopee....

Letting kids in for free could be likened to a loss-leader.

:blink: Explain why a empty seat is better left empty ?? Why a bum cant be put into it and catered for ?

I would suggest you could very well average a lot more than £2 per kid... The kid I take is good for the meal deal which is £3 I think...

Your going to turn down £10k turnover per game in favour of empty seats ? :lol: I am really happy you do not run our club :)

It's really very simple. The 'points above' cannot be provided without significant funding. Significant funding cannot be sought without people attending. People will not attend until the 'points above' are provided.

Ya dig?

We offered all three about five years ago... Its declinced since then... So I think your point is wollox :)

Your good at picking issue, not so good at providing answers...

Edited by oafc0000

:blink: Explain why a empty seat is better left empty ?? Why a bump cant be put into it and catered for ?

I would suggest you could very well average a lot more than £2 per kid... The kid I take is good for the meal deal which is £3 I think...

Your going to turn down £10k turnover per game in favour of empty seats ? :lol: I am really happen you do not run our club :)

We offered all three about five years ago... Its declinced since then... So I think your point is wollox :)

Your good at picking issue, not so good at providing answers...

:petesake:

I'll not bother. Good day sir.

Whoa. To say that Barry is moaning implies something pejorative . Looking at it from another perspective it's about opening up to ideas. And the best way is direct to the club or Barry!

You say suggestions are ignored, well some will be, but it's harder to ignore if something is on your desk rather than on a messageboard that has its share of crazies (nothing personal by the way, but we do get visited by "eccentrics" !). As I've said to you before, I've always had responses to my emails.

While I would welcome that I found it doubtful and its probably a bit late to be frank... :(

:blink: Explain why a empty seat is better left empty ?? Why a bum cant be put into it and catered for ?

Your going to turn down £10k turnover per game in favour of empty seats ? :lol: I am really happy you do not run our club :)

Unless those kids come with adults we will turn into the Oldham athletic kindergarten.... Mums sending Kids out for the day and feeding them before the go. No thanks!

If it was kids come free with a paying adult then i think this would be better

Unless those kids come with adults we will turn into the Oldham athletic kindergarten.... Mums sending Kids out for the day and feeding them before the go. No thanks!

If it was kids come free with a paying adult then i think this would be better

Ok here the reasons why I am not currently going, some down to the club some down to wider problems...

• Our fans are miserable.

Cheers for proving one of the reasons why I don't come to BP at the moment. Its fans like you that stop us solving these problems. When the club run promotions attracting kids they get attacked with this sort of attitude.

Club runs promotions to get more fans coming to a game, buy one get one free and ST holders moan about it.

Just makes you think what's the point.... Us the fans have been part of the problem as well...

Th

Cheers for proving one of the reasons why I don't come to BP at the moment. Its fans like you that stop us solving these problems. When the club run promotions attracting kids they get attacked with this sort of attitude.

Club runs promotions to get more fans coming to a game, buy one get one free and ST holders moan about it.

Just makes you think what's the point.... Us the fans have been part of the problem as well...

Th

Lay off her. You invariably miss the point don't you?

you have got to read that rant with a smile

why doesnt he pull his head out of his arse?

the reason why i dont go (for now) is due to being out of work, but i know plenty of people who are in work but just cant be bothered anymore

as for the 'family day' errr when was it? i might have seen something on the OS about it, didnt see anything in the Chron

marketing at this club is just non existent

im not sure about letting all kids in for free, but with a paying adult - definately

Th

Glad you dont come anyhow there are to many people that talk sh*t at BP already

I dont have a problem with kids coming to BP. I have a problem with 5000 kids desending on BP every week with no money in the pockets and come the bigger games those same kids are taking the seats of what are potential £20 fans. Remember Celebration day when plenty of fans that come week in week out could not get in

Edited by NIKI1234

I use to be a season ticket holder a few seasons ago & decided not to renew for number of reasons.

1. The cost – The season ticket price hadn’t gone up, however I didn’t enjoy most of the home matches & felt it a bit of chore in going near the end of the season, in fact I didn’t even bother going near the end. Plus the Tuesday night matches were terrible & freezing.

2. Boundary Park – When I was going week in, week out the place was terrible & out dated. I totally understand that the owners aren’t going to spend vast amounts of cash on a ground which is going to be rip down, however I tried to spend as little time in there. I had a ticket in the Lookers & the bar area was totally rammed before the kick off & at half time.

3. Catering – Guaranteed they would run out of stuff before the kick off, never mind half time!!

4. Atmosphere – Majority of the games I’d experienced more atmosphere at a Springhead game.

5. Pre match entertainment – Non existent most of the times.

6. Opposition - I know there is nothing the club can do about this, but the amount of southern based team in the league, resulted in poor matches.

Glad you dont come anyhow there are to many people that talk sh*t at BP already

I dont have a problem with kids coming to BP. I have a problem with 5000 kids desending on BP every week with no money in the pockets and come the bigger games those same kids are taking the seats of what are potential £20 fans. Remember Celebration day

Yeah I talk :censored:.... :lol:

You ever heard of crowd control ?

Simple suggestion... People buy tickets / STs... You then set aside enough for your normal pay on the day amount you expect and a little more... The rest you allocate to kids to get in for free...

Its not hard...

You know, I am glad I don't go BP any more as well... In fact as the days go by I really don't think I care any more full stop about Latics... Well I do, because I come on here every day caring, but it really is pointless... Where doomed and the fans feel powerless and shoot down / moan about any reasonable suggestions...

Edited by oafc0000

I think a lot of fans are feeling more and more alienated by the club, as in the failsworth move, which just seems to be getting railroaded through despite massive misgivings by a sizeable proportion of our support.

couple this with the cost to see, on the whole, a second rate product and it doesn't take rocket science to see the problems.

I understand the chicken and egg scenario regarding needing more support to fund team strengthening but fans reluctant to return till this has been achieved.

More outside investment is needed ( easier said than done i know ) to fund a more attractive product before fans return i fear.

It's certainly a problem that won't be easily solved but has to be attempted somehow.