Barry Owen on Attendances

It strikes me he doesn't spend too much time on here....... we have had endless debates on this subject, and also as Prozac says some really good suggestions for promotional offers.

why do you think he spoke to the bison :wink:

its not like the bison read owtb everyday and can put the story togther for themselves :unsure:

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 years (or is it 4?) after attending the two cheapo games before Christmas (£2 adults, £1 kids) I am now on my 3rd season ticket.

Marketing initiatives can and do work.

Fans will always come and go for a range of reasons. As existing ones leave new ones need to be added. The club does seem to believe that eveything it tries fails. But the success is hard to measure. Crowds will fall if you give up.

Marketing activity needs to be consistent, sustained and innovative if it is to attract new supporters in greater numbers than the old ones leave. The club doesn't have a Marketing Manager, doesn't even advertise home games on a sign on Rochdale Road / Broadway and when they do something they invariably moan about the lack of success openly afterwards.

* 10 match tickets for around £160 with flexibility on which games you attend (no guarantee of seat)

* 2 home games for £30 if you attend a night match when the Chumps League is on telly

* Free tickets for kids under 12 (I do think a price should be paid over 12 after seeing the chav attraction in the Pain Pot Cup last season)

* More flexible terms for students over 21

* Some sort of ongoing offer for the unemployed

* Active marketing of season tickets once the season has started

* Better half time entertainment

* Season ticket holders targeted to bring a friend for £15 for selected games.

Get the word out there though:

* Official site

* Local press

* OWTB

* BBC 606

* Hot UK Deals

* Twitter

* Facebook

* Posters and A boards on main roads near the ground

* Lapsed season ticket list mailing / phone calls to get people back (specifically targeted discounts?)

* Next home game flyer handed out on admission to BP every game (with £1 off in the club shop voucher attached)

* Better use of Advertiser free rag that gets in to most homes.

The ideas are a brainstorm. I'm not saying they should all be done or would all work on their own. Some could potentially reduce income and I understand that isn't the obective.

But surely a marketing professional should be employed and given a budget to deliver the necessary growth in attendances.

3 years (or is it 4?) after attending the two cheapo games before Christmas (£2 adults, £1 kids) I am now on my 3rd season ticket.

Fans will always come and go for a range of reasons. As existing ones leave new ones need to be added. The club does seem to believe that eveything it tries fails. But the success is hard to measure. Crowds will fall if you give up.

Marketing activity needs to be consistent, sustained and innovative if it is to attract new supporters in greater numbers than the old ones leave. The club doesn't have a Marketing Manager, doesn't even advertise home games on a sign on Rochdale Road / Broadway and when they do something they invariably moan about the lack of success openly afterwards.

* 10 match tickets for around £160 with flexibility on which games you attend (no guarantee of seat)

* 2 home games for £30 if you attend a night match when the Chumps League is on telly

* Free tickets for kids under 12 (I do think a price should be paid over 12 after seeing the chav attraction in the Pain Pot Cup last season)

* Official site

* Local press

* OWTB

* BBC 606

* Hot UK Deals

* Twitter

* Facebook

* Lapsed season ticket list mailing / phone calls to get people back (specifically targeted discounts?)

* Next home game flyer handed out on admission to BP every game (with £1 off in the club shop voucher attached)

The ideas are a brainstorm. I'm not saying they should all be done or would all work on their own. Some could potentially reduce income and I understand that isn't the obective.

But surely a marketing professional should be employed and given a budget to deliver the necessary growth in attendances.

Good suggestions...

we have had endless debates on this subject, and also as Prozac says some really good suggestions for promotional offers.

I agree....

Considering we have been doing this for on here for months and it has slipped Barrys attention is their much point in repeating it ? Serious question...

True, true - but there's plenty of :censored:e as well - however all you have to do is read it to filter out the crazy talk.

...as for the 'family day' errr when was it? i might have seen something on the OS about it, didnt see anything in the Chron

marketing at this club is just non existent

Yes, the Family Day! For anyone who doesn't know it was Yeovil at home! I found this out when I was sat in the Chaddy. Against Yeovil at home. Bollocks marketing that is, it's like they don't want people to turn up.

I had a ticket in the Lookers & the bar area was totally rammed before the kick off & at half time.

Ain't that the sad truth. Hey, it was rammed after the game n'all. How I miss the old girl...

* Official site

* Local press

* OWTB

* BBC 606

* Hot UK Deals

* Twitter

* Facebook

:applause1: Barry, TTA here is your answer. No need for a debate, just act on this lot and actually be proactive instead of moaning in the press. The stayaway's certainly aren't gonna come because they got 'done' in The Chron, there needs to be encouragement.

* Official site

* Local press

* OWTB

* BBC 606

* Hot UK Deals

* Twitter

* Facebook

great suggestions, ones I have been personally been highlighting everyday for 2 years now if not longer.....

I will be honest here and say something some will not like,

The club are living in the past, floating along and happy to do so in many departments, we ask for professionalism on the pitch, I want that to at the club.

We tried that, it didnt work !!!!! that is the response on many occassions... Rome wasnt built in a day... and all that

TTA dont mind allowing things to be tried, but IMO they and the club give up to easy !!!!

IMO

under 10 go free with a max of 3 kids to every full paying adult !!!!

The club are living in the past, floating along and happy to do so in many departments, we ask for professionalism on the pitch, I want that to at the club.
Joe Royle said it hasn't changed since he was last here. It was a pointed comment, not a love in.

TTA dont mind allowing things to be tried, but IMO they and the club give up to easy !!!!
People need to see a marketing message in several places several times before the act on it. This costs money, but if it ain't concerted it won't work. Edited by opinions4u

There is no point encouraging kids to attend and then after they are 16 expect them to pay full price. We lose so many fans in the 17-25 age bracket that as students/young adults can't afford to attend. Once dislocated from the club the link is broken for ever.

Quite frankly my wife and I prefer to go to away matches now, but even that in this Southern based division is harder.

We have been moved from the Lookers, then decamped to the RRE and this season have moved to the main stand paddock where the facilities are decrepid.

That proves the point that we need a new ground, but where are we going? FAILSWORTH. How many fans want to move to Failsworth. Once the novelty has worn off if we think that 3,500 is bad we will be down to 2,500 without any trouble.

Over the last 12 months even the most optimistic/ardent fans are getting totally hacked off and some are voting with their feet.

I may be a one of case but i actually started supporting latics when i went to uni. I had always supported them as a kid during the glory years but not after that. When i went to uni in Lancaster i became more of a patriot of my town and supporting Latics encompassed this. Maybe it was rivalry between myself and students from other towns/cities. Students have more money than people think. I bought myself a season ticket and travelled home most weekends for matches.

Ive just been watching sky sports going through the fixtures for the paint pot trophy tonight. Every other match had some kind of offer for admission. I know its a crappy cup but Latics should be doing this (for domestic fixtures too). Also shows that its not just our club struggling

Although I think that some of the various figures that are quoted to justify schemes/offers on here are way out, I can't fault the general feel that there is no desire by the club to market itself. Underlying this lack of desire are undoubtedly a less than long-term view (both in location and ownership)...but also the number of long-term (but good) staff at the club. Many suggestions are auto met with 'we've tried that before' view.

If you continue to do what you've always done you'll get what you always got!

I took it on myself last summer (08) to write a 15 page report/marketing strategy for the club, on the back of another one of these debates. inc research into other clubs etc. It didn't just cover 'ideas', it actually set out a comprehensive view of how to develop the necessary strategy (in real life not just text book rubbish!!).

To be fair Alan Hardy was very good (he is much underrated) and we have had a number of discussions since. However, very little has changed since...and that was before another raft of ideas with regards to partnership with Sweet Shop to try and enhance revenue streams, catering and shop products. Some of this may be happening, eventually. As a fan and a business owner I'd like to help bring the club into the 21st Century, but continually hit a brick wall of 'old' thinking.

The frustrating part is that there is so much that can be done if there was a clear marketing strategy in place. ps. anyone else know that it is the 20th anniversary season of the 89/90 cup run...talk about opportunity missed!!!! Bunn's 6 v scarborough for a start at the end of this month (??)

Ok, couple of things.

Letting kids in free:- first of all, that would cause problems, as seen when it's been tried. So you need a charge - maybe £3 for under 12s - oh hang on we do that already. Or £50 a season - yep, do that too.

Maybe one option would be £10 kids membership and then £1.50 or £2 a game - similar maths, but you might get more members and end up with more income overall - unlikely to make much difference either way though.

As for the masses of money to be made from kids, once you take off your purchase costs, spoilage, staff wages etc, how much profit do you end up with from a £3 spend? Add in extra stewarding costs on a free/£1/£2 seat for the extra 3000 people hope to see and where does it leave the income statement?

Discounts for 5/10/15 matches - do the maths on it. Season Tickets were £328 in the chaddy, £14.26 a game; Assume a ST holder misses 2 or 3 games a year and you're looking at £15.60 / £16.40.

You can buy an advance ticket for £18, so you need to find a price point in between that makes it worth buying 5/10/15 tickets. £17?

Can it be done? Would ST holders switch to a 15 game ticket and pay £255 and that would see the club lose £73 per ST lost.

The one area that might be an option is evening games - a ST price for just those games, maybe £15 a game, but you don't always know when they'd be, so would people commit?

I may be a one of case but i actually started supporting latics when i went to uni. I had always supported them as a kid during the glory years but not after that. When i went to uni in Lancaster i became more of a patriot of my town and supporting Latics encompassed this. Maybe it was rivalry between myself and students from other towns/cities. Students have more money than people think. I bought myself a season ticket and travelled home most weekends for matches.

You are a one OFF case, I can name you 5 students/young people that can't afford to go that were home & awayers up to the age of 16.

Barry is asking for suggestions, but most have been put forward before,putting together a package of incentives, isn't "rocket science", perhaps we are seeing the signs of desperation and Barry has been sent out by the TTA's to bang the drum. Perhaps so desparate that they will listen.

I totally agree with those saying the club doesnt market itself at all. There are loads of innovative marketing techniques which could be used to entice fans back too! We just need a marketing department in place to actually do them. Of course many suggestions will be stupid and not work but its only by going through them all that you get to the good ideas! Like many have said before many suggestions have been made over the years and have never been acted on.

Want to try and attract fans back which we have lost over the last 10-20 years? Why not have a welcome back day where they can get in cheap if they turn up in old Oldham tops or bring an old programme etc? Get all the old greats back before the game at half time and after the match. Spread rumours that Roger Palmer is definitely going to turn up to do the Strike it Lucky draw.

Maybe reward those who pay on the gate every week. It costs enough!! 10 ticket stubs and you get in free against Brentford at home on a tuesday night! Or a certain game of your choice.

Probably a :censored: ideas but you catch my drift. If we had a marketing team in place they could be coming up with ideas like this and act upon the good ones. I just get the feeling that there is no marketing budget in place at all. I would like to know the reasons for this.

The family day- er OK I think I saw something about it on here but I'm not to sure. Considering I knew I was going I'd have been happy to have had someone's season ticket off them for £20 if they wanted to bring the kids for nowt (it wouldn't have cost me any extra) but I hardly knew anything about it.

I was a season ticket holder a few years ago but the one thing that stops me getting one is the fact I can't watch mid-week games anymore and if I'm unlucky enough to be 'working' on an ad hoc basis I can't go to Saturday games either. If I ever pass my finals this situation will only get worse as I'll have to factor in regular weekend shifts, regular night shifts on top of the distance travelled. Such things can't be helped- however if the club really want to get more fans in then the decision to move games from the Saturday to the Friday night because England are playing a meaningless friendly at 5.20pm was not a good one. I understand the logic behind it (probably because a few people who have the ears of important people at the club are proper die hard England fans) but for a meaningless friendly it makes no sense. If it was a crucial qualifier then yes by all means move it but a friendly kicking off at 5.20 then no (BTW can someone tell me when was the last time England kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday during the domestic season). The decision to move the Hartlepool game probably cost the club somewhere in the region of 500 fans (exiles, I would have gone had it been a Saturday and the extra lot from Hartlepool). On days when Citeh and United aren't playing at home that also misses out on a marketing opportunity.

Marketing the club is not the easiest thing in the world in the current economic climate but we are cheaper than Citeh and United however, the club could put more effort into it. As I've said time and time again on here (so much so I'm becoming near Corporalesque about it) the Chron is :censored: shockingly bad to get hold of outside of Oldham and the club haven't seen fit to expand their marketing beyond the Chron. Put some adverts for the promotional schemes in the MEN or the Metro or on local radio anywhere but the Chron, the coverage we get at times in the MEN is bad but I'm sure if we used it a bit more for advertising we might have more than a two paragraph mathc report.

The other thing about the BP experience which is has yet to be mentioned is now that the Royle Bar is gone (with the 'Lookers' stand) the club has only two stands with bars. The bar in the main stand is bad and I'd guess the bar in the RRE isn't great. The official home end has no where for those old enough to purchase alcoholic drinks, so what do most of us do- spend as long as possible in the pub and enter only at the last minute (+/- bring our own booze cheekily disguised as a soft drink). I know its difficult to arrange and there isn't the room to have a bar but the club could at least put some thought into it as I'm sure a Bar would do a roaring trade at half-time as well as before the game. If done properly for those England games the club seem so willing to move the fixtures for the bar could still be going at 7/8pm.

A lot of other ideas which have been mentioned have some merit (and some downpoints- like the kids in for free/cheaper than they are now) but the club bar two games financed by people with less financial sense than money (judging by how their company ended up) who did it as a bit of a show off exercise hasn't done a lot in the past 2/3 years. People on here were up in arms about the promo Leicester did for home fans only in conjunction with their local paper last season but the only time we have done something like that the club let in opposition fans for the same price.

I know the club is alienating students as you have to be under 21. Most clubs allow student entry with an NUS card. You can get into City for £15 with NUS.

The club isn't alienating that many students by having the official advertised :wink: student discount age as 21 its alienating students by having the silly membership card scheme. I would imagine if some students from one of biggest univeristies in Europe knew you could get in for £11 to watch Oldham then a few might turn up but since that £11 is actually £11 + £13 for a membership card+ £4 for the photos if they don't have any handy- they won't.

I agree with the sentiments on here that the club doesnt seem to do enough in its marketing. I like some of the ideas too. I will say that if the ideas dont make much income/money sense at first, thats the whole point of taking the risk surely. Take the letting kids on for free idea (or something similar for them) the argument is it could cost more to have them in there or whatever. The whole point would be to get them hooked for when they become older and start willingly paying on the gate or buying ST. For a lot of people i imagine it takes one particular game for them to become hooked. Imagine they start enjoy going regularly and they hit the age they start having to pay (and imo make it as gentle as possible with prices and gradually build the prices up till its full price at 21 or something) theres a good chance that they will be with us for life. On top of this is the added possibilty of buying food and drink (if there is any :grin:) and possibly most kids bringing a parent with them (possible discount for them too??) in turn generating some kind of revenue for the club in the short term.

Yes, the Family Day! For anyone who doesn't know it was Yeovil at home! I found this out when I was sat in the Chaddy. Against Yeovil at home. Bollocks marketing that is, it's like they don't want people to turn up.

Not only that Matt, but even when AH was interviewed by Jimmy Wagg on GMR just prior to the game, he forgot to mention the Family Ticket and had to inturrupt Wagg after he'd been interviewed.

To be truthful, the club (as has been mentioned) don't tend to do even the bare minimum to get extra bums on seats. They should offer some vastly reduced tickets in Oldham Town centre on a Saturday lunchtime; say £5 a pop. Just pick random games (so all the freeloader fans who were going anyway can't just journey up and get cheap tickets pre planned) and take a bunch of tickets up which weren't going to be used anyway.

Why on earth do Easyjet, Megabus and other budget travel companies sell seats at as little as £1 a pop? Because they'd be sat empty anyway.

Even on the market research side, nothing is done. No-one is asked anything, and suggestions are either never taken on board or just dismissed by the owners/management as a waste of time. Ideas should never just be dismissed without testing first. And don't even get me started on lack of a billboard outside or in the town featuring the next game and any carrots dangled (if any).

It strikes me as a bit rich Barry Owen coming out and stating this. The Trust should be at the forefront of collating marketing ideas and discussing it with the club. A bleat in the local paper has about as much substance as a wet fart on a windy day. Be proactive Barry! Get some marketing ideas off the fans and address it with the club. Even the simple stuff which costs next to nothing to do yet is NEVER done by the club.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Ok, couple of things.

Letting kids in free:- first of all, that would cause problems, as seen when it's been tried. So you need a charge - maybe £3 for under 12s - oh hang on we do that already. Or £50 a season - yep, do that too.

Maybe one option would be £10 kids membership and then £1.50 or £2 a game - similar maths, but you might get more members and end up with more income overall - unlikely to make much difference either way though.

As for the masses of money to be made from kids, once you take off your purchase costs, spoilage, staff wages etc, how much profit do you end up with from a £3 spend? Add in extra stewarding costs on a free/£1/£2 seat for the extra 3000 people hope to see and where does it leave the income statement?

Depends how many extra adults they bring with them and, more impotantly, how many of them come back.

Discounts for 5/10/15 matches - do the maths on it. Season Tickets were £328 in the chaddy, £14.26 a game; Assume a ST holder misses 2 or 3 games a year and you're looking at £15.60 / £16.40.

You can buy an advance ticket for £18, so you need to find a price point in between that makes it worth buying 5/10/15 tickets. £17?

Can it be done? Would ST holders switch to a 15 game ticket and pay £255 and that would see the club lose £73 per ST lost.

You don't offer the multi-ticket for the first few games of the season. You market season tickets at that point.

Personally I'd scrap the advance purchase discount anyway and replace it with the multi-ticket idea. Why do you get a £2 discount when issuing a ticket actually costs the club more in time to issue?

Additionally, this would bring in extra revenue from all ticket away followings by charging them £20 instead of £18 (perhaps the RRE stand should have category A,B and C games - category A games can be against Leeds only and cost £30!).

Edited by opinions4u

It strikes me as a bit rich Barry Owen coming out and stating this. The Trust should be at the forefront of collating marketing ideas and discussing it with the club. A bleat in the local paper has about as much substance as a wet fart on a windy day. Be proactive Barry! Get some marketing ideas off the fans and address it with the club. Even the simple stuff which costs next to nothing to do yet is NEVER done by the club.

All good points, the Trust have been and will continue to make suggestions and help when and were we can but being bruterly honest, some at the club dont like or want change !!

in the past 15 months the trust have organised event etc to help benefit the club along with placing adverts in the local media. The club have not been proactive enough on following on from our ideas and it seems not interested in trying things that may have not worked before but may do so now !

A lot of the time imo if one thing doesnt work straight away it gets binned by the club instead of developed and incorporated into other ideas that do work !

Kids should be free under 6

6-10 £3 pay on the day

£50 Chaddy Season Tickets from 6-16 !!

This has all been mention by the Trust and Barry to the club and we keep getting

Tried that, it didnt work the 2,3 games we tried it for !

This has all been mention by the Trust and Barry to the club and we keep getting

Tried that, it didnt work the 2,3 games we tried it for !

It's a load of crap; They never measure it. The bottom line is EVERY game there is at least 3,000 seats sat empty. Can't they even just go "OK, a pound a seat and when 3,000 seats are sold they've gone"? Et voila, three grand which they'd not have had previously, plus all the people buying the extra crisps, pop and sweets which are laid on. It's just ludicrous really, they should be attacking those schools and colleges with a vengence. I reckon a ton of students from Oldham college or Sixth Form would bob along for a couple of quid if you went up there a day or two before a game.

There have been techniques which have worked, but the club always revert to the same old head in the sand :censored:e every time. "Oh woe, nothing ever works bleat bleat moan fecking moan!"

Oh, yeah, and food. What are the selections for kids? A mars bar? They should have bags of Haribos, jelly tots and all kinds of stuff available, maximise on that income.

It's a load of crap; They never measure it. The bottom line is EVERY game there is at least 3,000 seats sat empty. Can't they even just go "OK, a pound a seat and when 3,000 seats are sold they've gone"? Et voila, three grand which they'd not have had previously, plus all the people buying the extra crisps, pop and sweets which are laid on. It's just ludicrous really, they should be attacking those schools and colleges with a vengence. I reckon a ton of students from Oldham college or Sixth Form would bob along for a couple of quid if you went up there a day or two before a game.

There have been techniques which have worked, but the club always revert to the same old head in the sand :censored:e every time. "Oh woe, nothing ever works bleat bleat moan fecking moan!"

Oh, yeah, and food. What are the selections for kids? A mars bar? They should have bags of Haribos, jelly tots and all kinds of stuff available, maximise on that income.

food isnt a club concern as they only receive money from the sale of food asnd not the profit, Azure pay for the right to sell.... ist the easy option for the club to make money !

Although, they wonder why people are not in the ground 45 mins before KO spending money -

The only cost I could see from selling empty seats is the ratios for public saftey with stewards/ police, the bigger the gate more stewards needed .. so filling the seast does cost money when you dont make the money from your secondary sales such as food !!

Azure would love the club to sell all seats :wink:

food isnt a club concern as they only receive money from the sale of food asnd not the profit, Azure pay for the right to sell.... ist the easy option for the club to make money !

Although, they wonder why people are not in the ground 45 mins before KO spending money -

The only cost I could see from selling empty seats is the ratios for public saftey with stewards/ police, the bigger the gate more stewards needed .. so filling the seast does cost money when you dont make the money from your secondary sales such as food !!

Azure would love the club to sell all seats :wink:

So you bring food sales in house... Or you restructure the deal with our current suppliers...

I would guess the more people in the ground the more the rights to the food is worth as well ?

Edited by oafc0000