I am currently reading a book and in it it mentions a play created in the early 70's about football hooliganism called "zigga-zagga". I was always under the impression that it was a Latics song, obviously I must be wrong. I just wanted to know if anyone has any ideas of the songs/terms origins and why it is related to football/Latics.

I am currently reading a book and in it it mentions a play created in the early 70's about football hooliganism called "zigga-zagga". I was always under the impression that it was a Latics song, obviously I must be wrong. I just wanted to know if anyone has any ideas of the songs/terms origins and why it is related to football/Latics.

I've seen a variant from loathsome 50-something Chelsea fans in the pub for England matches. Scum.

Zigga Zagger boys early sixties.....forerunner of Chaddy Enders. I think it may have originated st Stoke City BUT COULD BE WRONG

I've seen a variant from loathsome 50-something Chelsea fans in the pub for England matches. Scum.

Just dug this up on tinternet

"Just heard some owd chap on't radio explaining that the origin of the 'Zigger zagger' chant was when some lads from a Manchester grammar school went to the Olympics in Rome in 1960 and heard German fans chanting "Zicken zacken" (whatever that means) and copied it at Old Trafford with a response of "Oy oy oy". So he reckons, anyway- I often wondered where it came from."

"Just heard some owd chap on't radio explaining that the origin of the 'Zigger zagger' chant was when some lads from a Manchester grammar school went to the Olympics in Rome in 1960 and heard German fans chanting "Zicken zacken" (whatever that means) and copied it at Old Trafford with a response of "Oy oy oy". So he reckons, anyway- I often wondered where it came from."

A 'Zicke' or 'Zicken' is a Nanny Goat, while 'Zacken' means 'Serrated' (Like a breadknife). Those Germans have never been particularly creative with their chants. :blink:

They were probably winding the Italian Ultras up by calling them a bunch of goat slaughterers. The expected Eyetie response would be "Yes, but your female Librarians all have moustaches"

It's how wars start you know :wink:

Seem to remember this is the answer last time we had this thread.... its definitely has some associations with Chelsea and ze germans....

... especially true when MarkOasis almost got kicked out of Elland Rd when the stewards/police thought he was singing "Zieg Heil, Zieg heil" - still one of my favourite memories...

Go on youtube, and search zigga zagga. There's loads of links showing Chelsea fans singing 'Zigga Zagga, zigga zagga, Oi! Oi! Oi!'

There's nothing to do with Latics on there.

I think it's just another song we have nicked.

"Zigga Zagga" was a play about football hooliganism based on the Boothen Enders of Stoke. I can't remember the author (but easily googled). The play was was well reviewed and was produced at sevceral theatres nationally.

The chant was a common one at grounds.

"Zigga Zagga" was a play about football hooliganism based on the Boothen Enders of Stoke. I can't remember the author (but easily googled). The play was was well reviewed and was produced at sevceral theatres nationally.

The chant was a common one at grounds.

seem to remember seing it on the telly box when i was about seven also my sister borrowed my old tangerine hat and scarf for a production of it at saddleworth school around the same time

reading her script was were i finnaly learned all the words to " whos your father referee " hehe

My dad has always said that it was Latics fans who came up with this following a trip to Germany in the 60s and everyone else stole it from us....