The Boxing Thread.

Froch vs Groves II  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins? YOU DECIDE.

Kessler said before the fight that this would be his last win or lose (according to his mum).

Great night Groves looked great. Smith picked up another win and could be something special in the future (even though the guy he fought looked like he had just come back from two weeks in Malia).

As for the Warren debate his stock has dropped because matchroom have stepped up and started to give the fighters what they want a lot more. People don't want to be with Warren, they know his past, they know the fighters he has screwed over (some of the biggest in Britain have made it public he witheld money from them).

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never thought I'd want to see him lose more than I did DeGale.

I hope DeGale gets his :censored: together and gets back in contention to fight Groves. I can take a brash loud mouthed idiot more than a smug, loud mouthed idiot.

I'm still after Groves to win that. Degale is just too stupid to conduct himself in any kind of reputable way.

• 4 weeks later...

I reckon there's a good chance Cleverly will get knocked out if Warren ever puts him in the ring with someone who poses a danger; his defence is shocking.

Step in Sergey Kovalev. Nathan Cleverly's next opponent. With one thing in common with the rest of Nathan Cleverly's opponents, you haven't heard of him. THAT'S the only thing he has in common though. He's the most feared fighter in the division, massive hype surrounding him with two bricks in either fist and power that could KO a bull, he's very good technically as well.

Mental voluntary defence, but fair :censored:ing play to Clev for taking this fight. He's a definite underdog in this one. Kovalev is right up there with Lucas Matthysse and Gennady Golovkin as avoided massive punching technical boxers.

I'm even thinking of going, it'd be a massive coming out party for Clev if he pulls it off. But reckon Kovalev is probably going to take Clev's WBO strap quite brutally.

Edited by PlayItLivo

You've gotta be worried for Clev with the way Sergy demolished that Cornelius lad recently, but you never know. I like that Sergy doesn't have a tight guard, leaves his chin high and is often as straight as a stick...likes his right-hand lead maybe a bit much as well...tough tough ask though...he glides about and hits so hard.

3rd ko for Sergy...and as you say, perhaps brutally...

Edited by Yard Dog

Aye, it's not that Clev can't win, he's got a decent chin, good work rate and will have a reach and height advantage, but he's got to be disciplined and stick to a game plan to give himself a chance, if he gets cocky and into a fire fight he doesn't have the power to keep Kovalev at bay.

You could see something like this was coming.

NC has been getting frustrated with the lack of respect he has been getting for his defences and the fact that no one knows who he is despite him being a world champ.

This could be the fight he needs to shut his doubters up.

Failing that he is going to get flattened leaving Frank Warren with even less big nights than he has now.

Won £185 on David Price losing tonight.

Was as good as free money. No risk at all, absolutely appalling decision to fight Thompson in the first place.

Price won't recover from that, his confidence will be shot to :censored:.

No heart from Price. Showed his power with the knock down and when he smashed him into the ropes. Thompson didn't fancy it after that then Price just seemed to tire and let Thompson have some free shots.

Really shocked by Price's lack of fitness and heart.

The standing 8 the ref tried to give him was ridiculous. If you step in at that point you have to stop it. Not give someone a chance to recover.

Yep, like Lewis said, Price is too nice a guy. He isn't made of the stuff to be a heavyweight champ. His defence really is terrible as well.

I'd like to see more standing 8 counts to try and fewer the amount of early (or know as stateside "British") stoppages. But last night it was ridiculous, that fight could have been stopped a good 20 seconds before hand with the combos Thompson was landing, but to leave it until Price was sprawled against the ring post with his back to Thompson whilst defencelessly and repeatedly getting clubbed on the head, was asinine.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Not a fan of Haye or Fury - both their boxing abilities and their media personalities - but looking forward to their fight in Sept. Fair play to Fury for taking the fight cos I can see him getting knocked out early.

Haye wins, too fast, too powerful. He'll just keep ambushing Fury from the outside until he topples, which will be within 5 rounds IMO.

Gonna try and get tickets though. The build up will be hilarious.

This.

I hope it isn't a one-sided fight, of course. But your prediction is how I see it.

Gonna try to get tickets too. Hope the place isn't full of pissed up travellers.

I'm really looking forward to this fight. I like Haye and I like Fury so it is a win win for me. I think if I had to choose then I would like Fury to win as he's a Manc. A simple Manc, but still a manc.

Should be a good contest and as has been said, intriguing, the big lump versus the more skilful and faster smaller guy.

This.

I hope it isn't a one-sided fight, of course. But your prediction is how I see it.

Gonna try to get tickets too. Hope the place isn't full of pissed up travellers.

There has been trouble at every one of Fury's fights. Mainly due to the above.