The Boxing Thread.

Froch vs Groves II  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins? YOU DECIDE.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grabbed 6 of the cheap tickets. Should be a fun event whilst it lasts. Hopefully there's a decent undercard too.

I got a couple but think I will be in the US so will probably shift them. No undercard mentioned. Suppose it sells itself.

Weird that he is promoting it as Hayemaker promotions - I was under the impression he signed with Matchroom but apparently that was only for the Charr fight - which didn't go through because the Fury one was on the card.

I think it's just a deal to get Haye on Sky, he realises it's the largest network and he needs Eddie on side to get them, and Eddie gets a slice of the pie. Haye doesn't really need a promoter, he sells himself and Adam Booth gets him the big fights.

Sept 14th is what I'm hyped up for:

Mayweather v Canelo Alveraz

Lucas Matthysse v Danny Garcia (FOTY written all over it)

Erisandy Lara v Austin Trout

Amazing card.

• 4 weeks later...

Who's this Darren Barker Chap? Claimed the IBF middleweight title in Atlantic City. No mean feat taking a title across the pond.

He's the absolute spitting image of Charlie MacDonald.

0vgw.png

But seriously, he's a grafting Middleweight. We've got a few good Middleweights that have challenged for a world title recently but none of them can snatch it even though some have had good shots against Martinez and Sturm.

Barker's had a pretty difficult pro career with his brother dying and being beaten in a street fight with a bottle to the point that he was close to death himself.

However, none of the British lads are good enough to challenge Golovkin. He's an absolute machine and destroyed Matthew Macklin.

Aye, really chuffed for Barker, he's had a few setbacks but has fulfilled his dream. But in truth he's gone as far as he's going to go. The middleweight champion has already beat him, one of the other belt holders Peter Quillin would have an easy night with Barker and Golovkin would kill him ala Kovalev v Cleverly. He should try and take a voluntary defence against Matthew Macklin or Martin Murray in England, try and earn a couple of pay days before he drops the belt.

Put a coupon on last night with eight fights across the two cards.

Backed a couple of underdogs - Smith, Barker and Kovalev which swayed the odds massively.

However I backed Enzo Macrinelli to lose. He didn't which stopped me looking the picture of contented new wealth. Delighted for Barker genuine nice bloke. Always liked watching him. Very good boxer. Just lacking a bit more spite in his punches when he steps up to the top level.

Rumour has it there was no rematch clause in the Cleverly fight which sounds ridiculous. Not that they would want to fight him again anyway. Cleverly and his dad really needed to shut up pre-fight. Cleverly trying to walk somone down early in the fight who has stopped nearly everyone within three was a terrible idea.

Looks like Frank Warren could have lost his final cash cow.

Put a coupon on last night with eight fights across the two cards.

Backed a couple of underdogs - Smith, Barker and Kovalev which swayed the odds massively.

However I backed Enzo Macrinelli to lose. He didn't which stopped me looking the picture of contented new wealth. Delighted for Barker genuine nice bloke. Always liked watching him. Very good boxer. Just lacking a bit more spite in his punches when he steps up to the top level.

Rumour has it there was no rematch clause in the Cleverly fight which sounds ridiculous. Not that they would want to fight him again anyway. Cleverly and his dad really needed to shut up pre-fight. Cleverly trying to walk somone down early in the fight who has stopped nearly everyone within three was a terrible idea.

Looks like Frank Warren could have lost his final cash cow.

Doesn't surprise me that there's no rematch clause for Clev, this fight was setup by HBO, both teams negotiated with them. Despite the home advantage for Clev, Kovalev was the house fighter last night. HBO want to set him up v Stevenson, Hopkins or Ward. They wagered that Kovalev was the real deal and Clev was a typical homebird hype job, so they didn't want to waste time with a rematch, they want Kovalev headlining shows in America. They put him in with Clev last night to win an easy belt and raise his profile.

Not sure how far Clev can rebuild to, but he should fight another stiff and then go for Jurgen Braehmer the Euro champ.

Odd that Carl Frampton is fighter an eliminator for the IBF belt, yet a guy he knocked out in his past fight won the IBF belt last night, so Carl has two eliminators to fight a guy he knocked out in February. Boxing can be an odd sport sometimes

Edited by PlayItLivo

I don't rate Barker quite as highly as Murray or Macklin but hats off to him for coming through that knock down and winning. Have to admit to welling up a bit then with his reaction at the decision.

Should set up a good domestic bout now with Murray or Macklin.

I don't rate Barker quite as highly as Murray or Macklin but hats off to him for coming through that knock down and winning. Have to admit to welling up a bit then with his reaction at the decision.

Should set up a good domestic bout now with Murray or Macklin.

I think Murray is the strongest by a distance. I think Barker would out box Macklin. I would like to see a lot more of Lee since he has signed up with the dark lord.

Summat about that Booth that grates on me. Him and Haye deserve each other.

Andy Lee looked like he was going to be the next big thing at one point didn't he. Touted to be world champ but then lost to Vera in a cracking fight. Only lost one more since to Chavez but doesn't look like a top 5 world fighter. Think he'd be a good fight for Barker. But Murray and Macklin too strong and powerful for Barker and Lee if you ask me.

Edited by Yard Dog

IMO, Barker would beat Macklin. Murray, on the other hand, would comfortably win both. He should not have come out of the Sturm & Martinez double header without a victory on his record, and I think he's comfortably our best Middleweight.

I'd still look forward to Barker v Murray though. Just a shame that the Froch v Groves event comes a little too soon to make it a monstrous domestic double bill.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised no one's mentioned mayweather's masterclass last night! Pure class, supposed to be his hardest fight yet and he was far too good for alvares who himself is a world class boxer! Not quite sure what the judge who scored it 114-114 was smoking mind?

I know it was a couple of years ago but both Matthew Hatton and Ryan Rhodes got to 12 rounds against Canelo, so I was never convinced he would seriously test Mayweather, just because he beat Trout convincingly.

Ghalahad v Jezza was a decent fight on c5 last night. Don't see 'Barry' testing Quigg or Frampton though.

Edited by Yard Dog

I know it was a couple of years ago but both Matthew Hatton and Ryan Rhodes got to 12 rounds against Canelo, so I was never convinced he would seriously test Mayweather, just because he beat Trout convincingly.

Ghalahad v Jezza was a decent fight on c5 last night. Don't see 'Barry' testing Quigg or Frampton though.

It was a good watch that. Interesting fight between a range merchant and someone who likes to work on the inside, good clash of styles that looked like it could have gone either way. Good finish from Galahad, could be argued that the ref stepped in a bit early, (I may be mixing it up with the Eubank Jr fight) but no one really wants to see damage being done to a boxer.

The Barry Awad fight was class.

Dickinson was always going to be game. Good amateur pedigree on him too. Love watching a slickster the Ingle gym has the fighters that everyone wants to see.

I imagine if it was in New York or LA and not in Sheffield it would be getting the same press as somewhere like Wildcard or Kronk.