Youths lose final

Latics were beaten 3-0 by Preston in tonight's Lancashire FA Professional Youth Cup Final.

The scoreline was somewhat flattering though to Preston as I thought as Latics played well for much of the game, but were caught out on the break.

Take a bow James Tarkowski, who was absolutely outstanding.

Carl Winchester hit some superb long passes and showed he's a great prospect while Hughes, Burns and Mellor confirmed their first team call ups with good displays.

It was like watching the first team.

Played some good stuff but appeared to have very little in front of goal. Gave away a soft goal (header glanced over an oncoming Routledge) and then got hit by the sucker punch when searching for the equaliser.

Preston were good value for their half time lead but Latics started the second half well with Hughes and Burns looking threatening out wide. The 2 strikers had their share of chances, but well struck shots weren't well placed and the keeper made comfortable saves.

Then Preston scored on the break (their first shot of the half) and it was game over.

TP brought on the subs, but to be honest Latics looked a little shapeless as a result and rarely threatened. Preston's third was an absolute cracker from outside the box.

I think Winchester looks better further up the pitch than at full back. Tarkowski looked very controlled in defence. I liked the wide men Hughes and Burns - both had the pace and skill to get past defenders. Mellor the other Latic to stand out for me. Disappointed by Riley and Laird up top - lacked movement which often led to limited choices for the wide players to exploit.

Good write up chaps.

My first youth game. Got to say, 1st half we had nothing in midfield and did a lot of "hoof" ball".

Came out looking better in the second half up for it for the first 20 mins and then they got the second from springing the offside trap. Their 3rd was a beaut.

Nice to see, Simon Corney, Paul Dickov, Lee Duxbury and Johny Eyers for us....oh yes and Phil (the tango man) Brown for themgrin.gif

It was like watching the first team.

Played some good stuff but appeared to have very little in front of goal. Gave away a soft goal (header glanced over an oncoming Routledge) and then got hit by the sucker punch when searching for the equaliser.

Preston were good value for their half time lead but Latics started the second half well with Hughes and Burns looking threatening out wide. The 2 strikers had their share of chances, but well struck shots weren't well placed and the keeper made comfortable saves.

Then Preston scored on the break (their first shot of the half) and it was game over.

TP brought on the subs, but to be honest Latics looked a little shapeless as a result and rarely threatened. Preston's third was an absolute cracker from outside the box.

I think Winchester looks better further up the pitch than at full back. Tarkowski looked very controlled in defence. I liked the wide men Hughes and Burns - both had the pace and skill to get past defenders. Mellor the other Latic to stand out for me. Disappointed by Riley and Laird up top - lacked movement which often led to limited choices for the wide players to exploit.

Agree with most of that but thought that Routledge/Tarkowski were equally to blame for conceding the first, both attempting to clear the danger but neither doing it, allowing their lad in between them to glance the header in. That said, you'd expect your keeper to come steaming out and clean everything and everyone out to deal with it. I'm sure that will come with experience though. As mentioned the second was an absolute sucker punch when it looked like we were getting back into it, and their 3rd was a peach from 25 yds.

I too thought Tarkowski looked v assured on the ball, but as mentioned elsewhere on the board and between lads I go to games with, he needs some serious sprint training. Liked the look of Mellor too, made a couple of excellent jinking attacking runs from full back, and thought Matty A Carr did well, but faded part way throught the second half.

There's definitely reason to be optimistic with that bunch coming through.

Good write up chaps.

My first youth game. Got to say, 1st half we had nothing in midfield and did a lot of "hoof" ball".

Came out looking better in the second half up for it for the first 20 mins and then they got the second from springing the offside trap. Their 3rd was a beaut.

Nice to see, Simon Corney, Paul Dickov, Lee Duxbury and Johny Eyers for us....oh yes and Phil (the tango man) Brown for themgrin.gif

David Eyres, unless I missed OJE somewhere :wink:

Good game, a shame more didn't turn up to watch it. A fair few scouts around which means our kids must be doing something right.

I think their heads went down when Preston's second went in, against the run of play. I missed the third due to having 'a nice little walk on the massive steps'

Someone needs to get rid of that PA man though!! :D:D