'Teflon' Taggart OUT!

Why there is no question raised or answers sought WHATSOEVER towards the role and responsibility of Mr Taggart is troubling?

Dickov has appointed Taggart as his assistant manager granted, Lee Duxbury appears to be juggling a role as 1st team coach AND reserve team manager…..What is Taggart assisting?

An assistant managers role is a complex and challenging one. He's got to be the manager's right-hand man, and yet he's got to be the players' trusted confidante. Players would probably agree the assistant's role is to form the bridge between the team and the manager.

The assistant manager is the footballer's footballer, someone to look up to, who's done it all before. He is a man who can relate to the team, who can play good cop to the manager's bad cop, and smooth out any disagreements. On a Monday morning, when there are a bunch of aggrieved players on the training pitch, an assistant's job is to keep everybody happy and be compassionate.

Is this Gerry Taggart…………? Maybe Dickov has made a novice choice here that could cost him his role as manager?.

Edited by textbookdave

Taggart's role at the club has been discussed in depth for at least the past year now. I've been saying since Dickov's first season he needs an experienced number 2, e.g. Brian Horton. I think it's one of the major reasons he hasn't progressed as a manager.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

Firstly, many people on here have raised questions about the job that Taggart is doing here.

Secondly I'm not sure anyone can properly judge exactly how good a job Taggart is doing unless they have some first hand experience of it. There is a very good chance that Taggart acts on Dickov's orders so while he may not be doing an effective job the responsibility lies with Dickov to increase or decrease his roles as he deems fit.

I strongly doubt that Taggart will stay on if Dickov leaves. They seem to come as a package and while Taggart might try to become a manager in the future I don't think he'll be it here.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

I haven't got a clue what GT does.

I haven't got a clue what Dickov does (cup of tea, folds arms, verbals for 4th official aside).

Something's wrong though. If the solution is to kick GT in to touch and appoint a different number 2, great. Let's do it.

But is that the solution? How would anybody really know?

I always find these rants about assistant managers extremely irritating. We don't have a :censored:ing clue what Taggart contributes. We can maybe look at the fact he was a defender and draw conclusions as to his coaching ability based on the performances of our defenders. But, other than stupid lapses in concentration or ridiculous mistakes, defence is not our biggest area of concern. And, equally, Dickov was a striker and we're crap up front.

People look to blame the assistant, as an alternative to admitting that the manager isn't peforming; If an assistant isn't doing his job properly the buck still stops with the manager. Dickov put Taggart there. If it's warranted, it's down to Dickov to bin him off.

Secondly I'm not sure anyone can properly judge exactly how good a job Taggart is doing unless they have some first hand experience of it. There is a very good chance that Taggart acts on Dickov's orders so while he may not be doing an effective job the responsibility lies with Dickov to increase or decrease his roles as he deems fit.

This.

Only those on the playing or coaching staff would know or understand how different tasks and roles are allocated with ultimate responsibility falling to PD. Personally, I'm not sure it's possible for me to pinpoint Taggart as a weak link from my position in an office in central Manchester.

People look to blame the assistant, as an alternative to admitting that the manager isn't peforming; If an assistant isn't doing his job properly the buck still stops with the manager. Dickov put Taggart there. If it's warranted, it's down to Dickov to bin him off.

This.

We have absolutely no idea what Taggart does or doesn't contribute. We can speculate all we like but at the end of the day, if Taggart's not adding value, the responsibility to sort it out lies with Dickov.

This.

We have absolutely no idea what Taggart does or doesn't contribute. We can speculate all we like but at the end of the day, if Taggart's not adding value, the responsibility to sort it out lies with Dickov.

Exactly. Booooooooooooo. Leave Gerry alone.

Singing: He does what he's told, he does what he's tooooold. he's Gerry Taggart, he does what he's told.

Edited by bigfatjoe1

I always find these rants about assistant managers extremely irritating. We don't have a :censored:ing clue what Taggart contributes. We can maybe look at the fact he was a defender and draw conclusions as to his coaching ability based on the performances of our defenders. But, other than stupid lapses in concentration or ridiculous mistakes, defence is not our biggest area of concern. And, equally, Dickov was a striker and we're crap up front.

This, this and only this.

Up to Dickov.

Also these (insert any name here) OUT rants are really starting to grate on me!

I cant tell you what GT does but again if he isn't doing the job properly its up to PD to get the best out of him or part company.

So again for me the fault lies with PD.

You don't win only 2 out of 18 games if you are a good manager and didn't we go something like 6 games without scoring a goal until Lowe scored a pen at Notts County not that far back

Edited by laticdickovarmy

Having some knowledge of this subject I would say In addition to assisting the manager with his day to day duties, scouting assignments are usually arranged by him and the analysis and preparation of reports prepared for the manager.

It's great when it all works out, but the human element means the best laid plans can go wrong straight after the kick off, as I know only too well.

Having some knowledge of this subject I would say In addition to assisting the manager with his day to day duties, scouting assignments are usually arranged by him and the analysis and preparation of reports prepared for the manager.

It's great when it all works out, but the human element means the best laid plans can go wrong straight after the kick off, as I know only too well.

I know for a fact that Taggart does some of the scouting. I think he does a mix of scouting of new players and scouting of upcoming opponents. I dont know any specific players or opponents, but I'd guess in the past he has helped scout at least one of our GKs. Factor in the defence coaching we assume he does and maybe he does a lot more than the OP thinks.

Both reserve and 1st team play to the same formula. We don't score often enough even though we have the chances. We defend very well, surprising that given how I feel every time there is a free kick in range or a corner, but give away goals from stupid lapses. So for me Taggart is doing a great job as the defensive member of the management team. Without the stupid lapses the only thing I would want out is the drab blue kit - just come along and see how great it will look in the rain on Saturday!

Both reserve and 1st team play to the same formula. We don't score often enough even though we have the chances. We defend very well, surprising that given how I feel every time there is a free kick in range or a corner, but give away goals from stupid lapses. So for me Taggart is doing a great job as the defensive member of the management team. Without the stupid lapses the only thing I would want out is the drab blue kit - just come along and see how great it will look in the rain on Saturday!

But the youth team don't play the same way, TP has a far more attacking emphasis, maybe that's the formula the seniors should adopt ?

Edited by BP1960

didn't we go something like 6 games without scoring a goal until Lowe scored a pen at Notts County not that far back

That Notts County away game was quite possibly the worse football match I have ever seen, utter utter crap, until the last 5 minutes at least. Fortunately getting smashed in Hooters afterwards then crawling back to my B & B softened the blow somewhat :grin:

Watched a great chat show last night where West Ham players from the 1960s spoke highly of their manager Ron Greenwood.

Ron never coached any defensive drills, basically he told the to defenders to defend whatever came their way and the rest to attack relentlessly, his philosophy was to score plenty of goals and above all entertain the public.

So there's a message to the current Latics management team, chuck your coaching manuals and negative tactical theories into the nearest canal and send out a send a team to entertain us.

Edited by BP1960

Watched a great chat show last night where West Ham players from the 1960s spoke highly of their manager Ron Greenwood.

Ron never coached any defensive drills, basically he told the to defenders to defend whatever came their way and the rest to attack relentlessly, his philosophy was to score plenty of goals and above all entertain the public.

So there's a message to the current Latics management team, chuck your coaching manuals and negative tactical theories into the nearest canal and send out a send a team to entertain us.

I'd much rather us be like the Peterborough side of recent years, scoring and conceding bagfuls, than a 'clever' side who 'sets out' well and 'does enough' and all the other clichés used to describe dull yet effective teams. There's not many clubs know the former philosophy better than Oldham Athletic. Unfortunately with Dickov we're not getting either of these things.

I'd much rather us be like the Peterborough side of recent years, scoring and conceding bagfuls, than a 'clever' side who 'sets out' well and 'does enough' and all the other clichés used to describe dull yet effective teams. There's not many clubs know the former philosophy better than Oldham Athletic. Unfortunately with Dickov we're not getting either of these things.

Is that the same Peterborough side who are bottom of the Championship after seven games with 0 points...?

Sorry - couldn't resist :omg: