" Taylor is not ready".

After the goal, a bloke near me was screaming "Are you watching Dickov? Are you watching?!!"

I couldn't be arsed pointing out to this bloke that it was Dickov who made the sub in the first place, so he probably was watching.

Nearly as good as the woman behind me today. About 30 seconds into the game she says "Look at Dickov, I don't know how he can just stand there".

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh?

was it the typing error in that I spelt "ready" wrong?

or

the sarcastic description of a striker that played for Oldham today?

if he can do all of those why isnt a first team regular?

fookin Matt Derbyshire wouldnt get that description this season

After the goal, a bloke near me was screaming "Are you watching Dickov? Are you watching?!!"

I couldn't be arsed pointing out to this bloke that it was Dickov who made the sub in the first place, so he probably was watching.

It wasn't that fat headed moron at the front of the Main Stand Upper was it? That guy is complete a :censored:tard.

Apart from the goal what did he do? He was in the right place at the right time to capitalise on their mistake but apart from that he was another young headless chicken.

Dan Taylor, saviour of OAFC my arse. Good prospect but nothing more at this stage. His goal today proves nowt, took the kid time to find his feet in the reserves but he's there now, till the Boxing day game our strikers slot was more than filled by Derbyshire. Smith deserved his chance against Donny and today, was in the right place to miss that gilt edged chance but does look as if he won't be our long term front man.

I hope Taylor goes on to be a cracking player but the overreaction on here is all too predictable.

Spot on. He found himself in the right place at the right time by a bit of a fluke after a completely mi:censored: pass bamboozled the whole Crewe defence. That said, he showed a cool head to put it past the keeper. You throw him in for an extended run of games and you could quite easily end up with a Brooky - a player who looked to be the brightest prospect we had after his first game.

Who was the last striker to score on debut? The mighty Altrincham's Ryan Brooke?I

This is the point, scoring once and in the reserves does not make him a world beater. some people seem to be going overboard. matty barlow chris hall matt tipton david mcniven, the list of prolific reserves goes on and on but if we heap pressure on him it will backfire in less than three months

Apart from the goal what did he do? He was in the right place at the right time to capitalise on their mistake but apart from that he was another young headless chicken.

Dan Taylor, saviour of OAFC my arse. Good prospect but nothing more at this stage. His goal today proves nowt, took the kid time to find his feet in the reserves but he's there now, till the Boxing day game our strikers slot was more than filled by Derbyshire. Smith deserved his chance against Donny and today, was in the right place to miss that gilt edged chance but does look as if he won't be our long term front man.

I hope Taylor goes on to be a cracking player but the overreaction on here is all too predictable.

I think your post is an overreaction (ahem) to the posts on here.

No-one is saying that Taylor is the saviour - merely that given a chance he showed what so many lack - mainly an eye for a goal.

The comments (as I read them) are questioning Dickov's statement that the lad is not ready - and he never will be unless he is given a chance.

Use him as a substitute and give him game time - just bring him on (literally and metaphorically).

:smoking:

I think that might be me Dave & Leyland nice to see I'm so highly thought of. If you don't like my views then move seats I'm not going anywhere.

He's the one who says he isn't ready but persists with the useless Smith. Would smith have scored that chance? Probably not.

Feel free to let on at the next home game if you can get from behind your keyboards.

It wasn't that fat headed moron at the front of the Main Stand Upper was it? That guy is complete a :censored:tard.

Why is he a :censored:tard? For airing his grievances when a team, who he has spent thousands on watching this year, let him down again?

However, I do agree that he's a fat headed moron.

The point I think is to use what you have. With Smith up front and Baxter falling back into the midfield Dickov had to do something. I hope we are all agreed that he did the right thing by going 3 5 2. Not only was it the right thing it also worked. [The wrong thing was Millar for Croft when, I agree, either Mellor or Hughes would have been better. Which did not work and lost us the game.] We keep complaining but when the right thing is done we should also say so.

Those players not in the Dickov 1st list are however put under great pressure when they do get a chance so it is not surprising that Millar tried so hard, headless chicken, and got it wrong. What was surprising is that a player who is 'not ready' and hence under great pressure scored a goal which Derbyshire would be proud to claim. What it means is that he is ready to play a part and given our situation why not let him start at Scunthorpe a game we need to win and can only do so if we score.

If I understand correctly, if a player scores on debut, it proves that he was ready and should have made his debut before - so the manager is at fault. If the manager doesn't give the player a debut, he is at fault. I get this, it's just that I'm sure if we blame the manager or the player if they make their debut and are dreadful?

If I understand correctly, if a player scores on debut, it proves that he was ready and should have made his debut before - so the manager is at fault. If the manager doesn't give the player a debut, he is at fault. I get this, it's just that I'm sure if we blame the manager or the player if they make their debut and are dreadful?

I

Managers fault again sorry, you know because they didn't have the conviction to ignore the mob.

What the manager should be doing is dropping his best players as soon as they make a couple of mistakes, then lose the next few games because he isn't playing his best team because none of the reserves that came in have yet been 'given a proper chance' or made any major mistakes that make them 'worthy of being dropped'. Then it's the managers fault we lost those games playing a team of kids and players who aren't 'ready for the first team' so he should be sacked. If said players come in and actually win a game they should be persevered with no matter how badly they're playing and how many they lose because it will 'keep the other players (the better ones) on their toes' even though they're now just playing in the reserves and considering leaving the club.

Sorry.

Edited by LeylandLatic

I dont think anyone is saying Dan Taylor is the saviour are they?

What i think people are quite rightly pointing out is that a player who the manager labelled just this week as not ready; did infact actually look ready on saturday.

He looked like he did in pre-season - an on the shoulder of the last man striker. He timed his runs well, ran the channels well and linked up pretty well with our very own big lump Matt Smith.

But, more importantly, he took his 1 chance nice & clinically. We need goals. We have a striker who is scorig for the reserves, and now for the 1st team. Thats ready enough for me.

I dont think anyone is saying Dan Taylor is the saviour are they?

What i think people are quite rightly pointing out is that a player who the manager labelled just this week as not ready; did infact actually look ready on saturday.

He looked like he did in pre-season - an on the shoulder of the last man striker. He timed his runs well, ran the channels well and linked up pretty well with our very own big lump Matt Smith.

But, more importantly, he took his 1 chance nice & clinically. We need goals. We have a striker who is scorig for the reserves, and now for the 1st team. Thats ready enough for me.

I'll go a step further Sly. Having seen the ressies, he has got better as the season has gone on and as I said earlier to the point that he is now scoring for the stiffs. That to me was why he was worth giving a chance off the bench for the 1st team. 10 mins here 15 there to break him in over 3 or 4 months this season. Yesterday he got that chance and took it. I wouldn't start him yet unless we are beset with injuries, but yesterdays cameo shows his promise and that should continue to be nurtured. He is not our saviour but shows promising signs that he can become an important member of the squad. (or could be if PD would use the bloody squad instead of sticking by the 12 apostles) When PD said he wasn't ready I was initially surprised, but if he had said he isn't ready to start but has earned his place on the bench and we will use him as we see fit then I could have agreed with that.

If PD is serious that he is not ready then that begs another question. At the end of last season when decisions were being made about offering 1st pro contracts to the scholars, it was said that they would only be given contracts if they were ready to go into the 1st team. That being the case, why did we then sign a player who is probably on more money than our 1st year pros would have been?