" cleverest" latics team

Can anybody add to this pub generated list of "clever" latics players

Smith. University of Manchester graduate

Simpson. University of Loughborough

jobson. Did one year Civil Engineering at University of Nottingham

adyemi Offered place at Cambridge university

........ And yes we went through the University of Life and Hard Knocks bits too

The discussion was in the context of the old chestnut of why the typical European international centre half speaks better English than the typical English centre half. Eg Kompany v Terry

Can anybody add to this pub generated list of "clever" latics players

Smith. University of Manchester graduate

Simpson. University of Loughborough

jobson. Did one year Civil Engineering at University of Nottingham

adyemi Offered place at Cambridge university

........ And yes we went through the University of Life and Hard Knocks bits too

The discussion was in the context of the old chestnut of why the typical European international centre half speaks better English than the typical English centre half. Eg Kompany v Terry

Rick Holdon was at Uni when he played for us,

Think he may have already got his initial degree by the time he played for us. Think it was in either Physiology or Kiniesiology.

I remember him being on soccer night with Elton Welsby after he scored in the 1.1 draw with Watford on his home debut. He was talking about his studying then and how he wanted to be a physio,

I remember him being on soccer night with Elton Welsby after he scored in the 1.1 draw with Watford on his home debut. He was talking about his studying then and how he wanted to be a physio,

Wiki says prior to and during his career be gained a degree in human movement (aka Kinesiology) at Carnegie College (which I think is Leeds Met Carnegie Uni these days) and also a degree in physiotherapy at Salford.

I'd rather have a footballing brain than a :censored:ing university graduate.

Players like John Sheridan, David Eyres.

Agreed. Some of the best footballers in the world don't have a brain cell between them.

Maradona, Gazza, Best to name but a few were/are all thicker than Playdough.

It seems strange that over 50% of our gold medal winners were graduates while only 2 % of footballers are. It could be argued that English football with its recruitment strategy de facto excludes 20% of the nation which other sports and counties don't? When did we last win theWorld Cup?

It seems strange that over 50% of our gold medal winners were graduates while only 2 % of footballers are. It could be argued that English football with its recruitment strategy de facto excludes 20% of the nation which other sports and counties don't? When did we last win theWorld Cup?

It could be argued that other sports are elitist.

It could be argued that other sports are elitist.

Or it could be that the other sports don't have the junior and youth set-ups that Football, Rugby and Cricket do. I don't know of many rowing clubs that cater to under 17s.

Plus a few of our Olympians went to university on the back of being good at sport as opposed to being good academically.

I have just finished reading Soccernomics (on the recommendation of Gentleman on here). It argues how English football is missing out on a whole pool of sporting talent from the middle classes. It even cites an unnamed Latics player who was bullied because of his choice of newspaper.

From the other point of view, can you imagine, for example, how good an athlete like Gareth Bale would have been at tennis had he had Andy Murray's privileged sporting upbringing?

I would nominate many solely based on their Twitter gangster-talk...

Does my head in this 'gangster talk'. I'm guessing, but I assume we're talking about abbreviating words and saying 'bruv' as opposed to talking about caps in arses?

Might not be how you communicate with your mates but it doesn't make them gangster wannabes, or stupid, surely?

Edited by longtimeblue

I have just finished reading Soccernomics (on the recommendation of Gentleman on here). It argues how English football is missing out on a whole pool of sporting talent from the middle classes. It even cites an unnamed Latics player who was bullied because of his choice of newspaper.

From the other point of view, can you imagine, for example, how good an athlete like Gareth Bale would have been at tennis had he had Andy Murray's privileged sporting upbringing?

Andy Murray privileged upbringing, his Mum is a tennis coach, and scraped every penny she had to send him off to Spain when he was 14.

Plus if Andy Murray was 12 months younger, it was highly likely he wouldn't have made 6 years old.

Gary Kelly has got a Business Studies Degree from UCLAN. I graduated with him - he was on the part time course whilst I was full time.

Also one of the youth team players who unfortunately didn't it make it has had offers to study at various Unis and has got a scolarship to go to college in the US.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Cool will have to read that. I would say that many successful sportsman who study at Uni are more rounded in some ways as they often have had to get a proper job whilst competing until they get good enough to get sponsorship.

Cool will have to read that. I would say that many successful sportsman who study at Uni are more rounded in some ways as they often have had to get a proper job whilst competing until they get good enough to get sponsorship.

Copy available via PlayerShare WebShop for £6.29.

Use this link:

http://www.spendandraise.com/xtra/shop/goto.php?rb=3-3787