Connor brown and James Tarkowski

I was one of their biggest critics last season, said on a number of occasions that they simply weren't good enough for league one.........how happy I am to have been proved wrong.

Brown has come on leaps and bounds, last season he looked scared to have the ball near him but now he looks composed and is always looking for the right pass instead of just hurrying it on to another man.

As for tarky, well he was outstanding again, came up against a physical striker in Tom pope but had him in his pocket all game, unlucky not get mom in my opinion.

Both of them look completely different players, great to see.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think Tarky has been subject of some harsh critism and some undeserved praise at different points over the last year. If he plays like he did today then he looks like a solid proposition but its all about consistency ( as well as proving he can read the game well enough to deal with anyone with genuine pace). Some good signs today though, hopefully a sign of things to come

Really suprised at how good Tarki's been. Never slated him but just wasn't sure he'd live up to the early promise. Am I right in thinking we offered him another year only pre-season? If that is the case, that'll need sorting soon based on how he's started.

I will say again.

Tarky is the one who will attract the offers at his rate of improvement from last season. This lad has more than enough to play at a higher or even the highest level.

I'm just not sure i see this vision of him playing at a higher/ highest level. Was caught out alot against a better class of opposition in Derby (who wernt even at full strength). Yes he's looked good against some teams at this level but wouldnt get too carried away just yet

Really suprised at how good Tarki's been. Never slated him but just wasn't sure he'd live up to the early promise. Am I right in thinking we offered him another year only pre-season? If that is the case, that'll need sorting soon based on how he's started.

Signed a two year deal

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20130621-tarkowski-875571.aspx

I was impressed by them both today, Tarky was excellent in the air and Brown has improved a lot from the last time I saw him. Hopefully they'll both continue their progress, and the next time they have a bad performance, which will happen, I hope they don't get slated!

Glad that is sounds like Brown is progressing. I'll be honest I was disappointed that we were not looking to bring in another first choice RB but he looks to have proven me wrong by all accounts.

Was never fully convinced by Tarkowski, but it sounds like now he is the senior CB he has stepped up to the plate! Long may it continue:)

Brown let himself and the team down yesterday - allowed Hughes to goad him. After that he looked completely out of sorts.

Lee Hughes has goaded and wound up much more experienced players than Conor, he will learn, thought he had a decent game yesterday even after the Hughes incident. It was hughes who regressed after that.

Lee Hughes has goaded and wound up much more experienced players than Conor, he will learn, thought he had a decent game yesterday even after the Hughes incident. It was hughes who regressed after that.

Spot on, he had a fine game, was playing very well until injured. Was heartening to see how much he & Tarkowski appreciated each others efforts, team spirit looked good

"had Pope in his pocket"? What game were we watching? Not blaming Tarkowski, but as the senior centrehalf I'd have hoped he would be more dominant. Instead they looked like they could score at will from that battery of corners they had.

And yet they didn't

Dominant? How many men should he mark? Did Pope score? In fact in all the time they "looked like they could score at will" how many did they score from corners?

Said for 2 years this boy is going to be class and he will keep improving......

Brown has improved under LJ but for me he is still not good enough at the back and will be targeted by every team we play, hopefully his injury is not too bad but IMO we could easily do better.