First love Latics - other teams?

Non-league: Farnborough Town FC (now sadly liquidated and reforming as Farnborough FC) - spent most of my time growing up there.

Scotland: Dunfermline Athletic FC - knew a few Dunfermline fans at university.

Italy: Brescia - they had my favourite player of all time, Gheorghe Hagi.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None. I'm latics through and through. The rest of you are :censored: traitors to the cause :grin: . I couldn't even think of showing any allegiance to another club. That'd be blasphemy I tells ya. Ha ha ha. All other teams other than England draw no emotive response from myself whatsoever. :huh: - other than Tranmere which I hate :angry:

Edited by rickoldham27

None. I'm latics through and through. The rest of you are :censored: traitors to the cause :grin: . I couldn't even think of showing any allegiance to another club. That'd be blasphemy I tells ya. Ha ha ha. All other teams other than England draw no emotive response from myself whatsoever. :huh: - other than Tranmere which I hate :angry:

"He then ducks under a barrage of bullets and responses!!" :argue:

Have to agree OLDHAM,OLDHAM reserves,OLDHAM youth team the only teams i follow.................Aberdeen in Scotland,cause they would chop my balls off if i didn't say that.(anybody with jock roots would understand)

Ireland: Shamrock Rovers - I've had many good drinking sessions with their fans.

Spain: Athletic Bilbao and whichever club Diego Cervero is playing for.

Germany: Eintracht Frankfurt - links with Latics' fans.

Non-League: Burton Albion - local club.

Traitor! :wink:

Traitor! :wink:

The real 'traitor' test came when Latics played Shamrock Rovers in the Isle of Man and Burton Albion in the F.A. Cup. Then there was no contest - naturally it was Latics 100%, although I didn't go OTT in celebrating our victories. Actually, I nearly died when we almost went out of the Cup in both games against the Brewers - another good reason to support them with a nickname like that!

The real 'traitor' test came when Latics played Shamrock Rovers in the Isle of Man and Burton Albion in the F.A. Cup. Then there was no contest - naturally it was Latics 100%, although I didn't go OTT in celebrating our victories. Actually, I nearly died when we almost went out of the Cup in both games against the Brewers - another good reason to support them with a nickname like that!

Well put DS! :drinking66: I like your logic

As football goes I only have eyes for Oldham Athletic. Like to see a club like Eintracht do well because there fans that come over are a good bunch, but if I'm being really bothered I only care about the blues.

The only other alliegences I care about come in other sports, cricket its Lancs, Rugby its the yeds. And the only foreign sides I would say I support would be the NY Giants in the NFL and NJ Devils in the NHL.

It has to be said though, Latics are the only thing I really care about.

Am I the only one with a soft spot for an Austrian team?

No, i'm with you (ich bin mit du - thats a bit of Austrian there for you folks). RAPID VIENNA it is for me

Mi mam is an Austrian (as you can probably tell with my accent!!!)Aunties, uncles and tons of relations all live in Vienna, beautiful country SH** at football but then again with David James in goal they looked like the Brazil'70 team against England.

Non-League - Ashton United, Father-In-Law is Chairman and i served my time as Secretary

Scotland - Gretna, been to watch them with Ashton when they were in the Unibond League (Their Managing Director and Secretary are husband and wife Ron and Helen MacGregor, the most bestest and niceset couple you would ever wish to meet in football. I am absolutely loving their success. Next season they will break the Old Firm grip on the league and take the Chapmions League by storm (Jesus, this whiskey is strong, think i had better put the bottle down!!!).

Spain - Real 'LA LIGA CHAMPONS' Madrid - sorry Mr Punkster but Senior Bckham just had to win that title, pure Hollywood

Germany - Eintracht Frankfurt, was in Frankfurt for Englands first World Cup match against Paraguay, great country and greater locals

Portugal - FC Berares, 2nd division team who are SH** but a local waiter who served us for two weeks in Portugal for Euro 2004 told us all about them

Thailand : Chonburi FC.

My local team. I go every week, home and away. We are currently top of the Thai Premier League, which is enjoying a mid-season break (a first for me!) so we'll stay on top until the end of August at least!

England : Burton Albion

The Mighty Brewers!!

Scotland: The Mighty Celtic, my dad is scottish and was a season ticket holder for many a year before the mid-eighties when we started going to Oldham, and that was only because my mum refused to let him take me every week up to glasgow! Worked, as we all became massive Oldham fans...

Finland: FC Lahti. My mother is finnish and they were the first Finnish team I saw... against liverpool at anfield in 1991 (the first time liverpool had been back in europe since heysel)... They were called Kuusysi Lahti at this time, and got tonked 6-1 at anfield, but then won 1-0 in Finland... this was massive, like a national holiday, as most scandinavian football fans are Liverpool fans this was like winning the world cup... i try to watch them as much as possible as am normally go over to finland quite often....

Wales: Airbus..... very random this one.... I used to be a marketing manager for a massive student accommodation company... anyway, a group of students became obsessed with Airbus (just for the hell of it...) and asked me if I could set up an official trip... anyway, i rang the chairman and got to know him quite well... think there are still 2 trips a year from the Sheffield Student Branch of the Airbus Supporters association.....! Go on the Wingmakers!

My true second love is Ice Hockey though... with Jokerit Helsinki, and travel europe to watch the Finnish national team....

:redrose::lanky: I would gladly trade England winning the football world cup for Lancashire winning the County Championship. I have a morbid fear of it never quite happening in my lifetime.

Quite keen on Celtic :Ireland:

Always will Preston on to their glorious failure towards the end of the season (old man is from there).

Have been known to follow Derry on the TV when they get to the latter stages of the All Ireland final

If we're branching out across sports then I can increase my list to include Manchester Phoenix, New Jersey Devils and Lowell Devils (Ice Hockey), New Jersey Nets (Basketball), Lancashire (Cricket) and McLaren Mercedes (F1).

I'm sure there are more too, but I can't think of them right now.

If we're branching out across sports then I can increase my list to include Manchester Phoenix, New Jersey Devils and Lowell Devils (Ice Hockey), New Jersey Nets (Basketball), Lancashire (Cricket) and McLaren Mercedes (F1).

I'm sure there are more too, but I can't think of them right now.

Some Ice Hockey references there Ackey... was a manchester Storm season ticket holder for thier entire existence.... would love to follow the Phoenix, but not exactly practical... as for the NHL... tended to Just follow Teemu Selanne, which meant unfortunately supporting the mighty Ducks, always had a soft spot for the redwings though... just because of how they play hockey... and because it is the coolest strip... (with the devils a close second.....!)

England - Oldham of course and then Chester as my 2nd team...as my local team went to go and see them a lot when they dropped into non league and the future was looking bleak.

Italy - the whole of italian football, its amazing, i just love the culture of it, with all the scandals, their philosophies on how to play the game and their rivalries etc. Im not really into my football reading (as my life contains far to much footy already :) but if you get a chance there a loadsa good books talking of the history of the italian game with some great stories! I wish they would put the serie A back on channel 4.

Some Ice Hockey references there Ackey... was a manchester Storm season ticket holder for thier entire existence.... would love to follow the Phoenix, but not exactly practical... as for the NHL... tended to Just follow Teemu Selanne, which meant unfortunately supporting the mighty Ducks, always had a soft spot for the redwings though... just because of how they play hockey... and because it is the coolest strip... (with the devils a close second.....!)

Cool. I sat on the back row of 115 for the entire life span of Storm, not always on an ST, but always there! One of the worst day's of my life when they finally went under... not that it wasn't on the cards for long enough. As for the Phoenix, I'm only a 'computer chair' supporter, just because I can't afford to go unfortunatly.

I don't like the Ducks... but I'm happy they won 'cause I'm going to London in September to watch their season opener against the Kings... and God help us if it wasn't for the Ducks there - as the Kings are shockingly bad.

I only followed the Devils early on because of KK going there - before that I'd been a bit of Rangers fan, just 'cause growing up I'd watched The Great One, Mark Messier and Brian Leech and been in awe of their talent... which is a bit unusual really as it's a bit of a Man-City/United situation really.

Got lots of favourate teams in other sports (RL is my main sport before football) one of my all time favourates are the Chicago Bulls in the 90's when they won the NBA six times. Pippen, Rodman, MJ, Harper, Kukoc, Langley and free throw champion Kerr. They won the third championship in as many years when in same six Jordan stole the ball and buried the series-winning jumper with 5.2 seconds remaining..... he seemed to glide the full lenght of the court before slamming the ball through the hoop

If we are branching across other sports then:-

England - any sport especially football, cricket.

Lancashire - Cricket (LL I to hope to see us win the County Championship in my lifetime) I get down to OT whenever I can and incidentally I'm going on Friday to watch the first 20/20 game against Durham.

Cycling - any English/British involvement in the Tour de France etc.

Scotland - Hibs, the Bobby Johnstone signing made me aware of them as a a young lad and always look for their result

Wales - Aberystwyth Town, played against them when a student there and drank often in their clubhouse

Slovakia - Dukla Banska Bystrica , worked there

Ice Hockey - Montreal Canadiens, was a student there in 1971 when they won the Stanley Cup. Fantastic ice hockey town