First love Latics - other teams?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. I sat on the back row of 115 for the entire life span of Storm, not always on an ST, but always there! One of the worst day's of my life when they finally went under... not that it wasn't on the cards for long enough. As for the Phoenix, I'm only a 'computer chair' supporter, just because I can't afford to go unfortunatly.

I don't like the Ducks... but I'm happy they won 'cause I'm going to London in September to watch their season opener against the Kings... and God help us if it wasn't for the Ducks there - as the Kings are shockingly bad.

I only followed the Devils early on because of KK going there - before that I'd been a bit of Rangers fan, just 'cause growing up I'd watched The Great One, Mark Messier and Brian Leech and been in awe of their talent... which is a bit unusual really as it's a bit of a Man-City/United situation really.

ha Ha... Back of block 104 for my whole time with the storm... some great memories... they were the only team ever to come close to my love for latics... and to be honest, I even missed quite a few Oldham games because of it... particulalry at the height of the run... the pietrangelo, jablonski, askew etc.. days... was never sustainable, but a very sad day as you say when it all ended...

I dont like the Ducks either really... but have to like them as Selanne is my hero.... and he won the stanley cup for them IMO last season... as for the Kings, have a slight soft spot, but purely from the Kurri/Gretzky era... they are pants now.... there are still tickets for the Sunday, and am trying to justify going... you there on athe saturdy or the sunday??? should be a great occasion.... and the european players will love it on the bigger ice...

I'm there on the Sunday. And like you say - the Euro players, on the bigger ice, should love it - and 'cause it's a real game and not just pre season they should be putting the effort in too! Can't wait.

As for Storm... the day's of Stanley Cup winners like Frankie playing in this country are sadly long gone, but I feel proud to have been there to watch it. Nights playing the best in Europe and holding our own will live with me for ever, just as the memory of being at Wembley with Latics will.

Still the single greatest ice hockey goal I've ever seen at any level was the one Askew scored, as he caught the puck above his head crossing the blue line, deked a player, got it on the ice and popped it past the net minder... stunning.

England: Latics, obviously!

Scotland: Hate the old Firm, just pointless, but have an admiration for Hearts!

Spain: REAL MADRID, loved them for years but there was never any decent coverage in the UK, as it was all Italian led, and to be honest Italian footie is pants!

Italy: Napoli, i bought there 90-91 red away shirt and because it was made by Umbro i made the assumption they were like Latics (sad i know!)

Germany: Schalke 04, god knows why, suppose its there kit!

France: St Ettienne, due to the fact i have a shirt of theres and their initials are A.S.S.E

Brazil: Vasco, used to stay up for hours on end just watching the Brazillian soccer on Channel 5.

Non-League: Suppose Ashton, a few years ago i was working with Grovesy's Perm and he invited me along to a few games, didnt bloody tell me i would be a steward when they were playing Stalybridge though!

Only Celtic really,been going up there since 1988 when my best mate (whos dad is a Celt) proposed a trip to a cup game against Stranraer at Parkhead.One of the strangest days of my life as an english accent was not at all common on the terraces there at the time (that's actually an understatement).

Wasn't put off and have been going intermittently ever since,went to the UEFA Cup final in Seville in 2003 awesome day.

Funnily enough the mate who introduced me to Celtic moved to Perth a number of years ago and turned against Celtic after experiencing the Old Firms grip on everything from a Scottish perspective after moving,said it looked different from down here as an outsider but having to live with it day in day out in the press up there made him "see the light".He followed St Johnstone from then on.

Scotland = Gretna = Just Due To The Fact That I Used To Watch Them When My Dad Was Secretary At Ashton United Up Until They became Foreign

Wales = Afan Lido = Cause They Are Rubbish And I Want Them To Do Well

Spain = Real Madrid = Classic Team Supported Them all Of My Life

Italy = Roma = Due To The Fact They Have Got The One and Only Francessco Totti

Holland = Ajax = Again Due To The Fact That Of One Player Rafael Van Der Vaart = Leg-end

Germany = Eintract Frankfurt = Where I Stopped When We Went Watching England In The World Cup

Austria = Austria Vienna = Where My Grandma Was brought up Always Wanted There Shirt

Belgium = Anderlecht = Like The Kit They Play In With The Purple On It

That Is All From Me Of The Top Of My Head Anyway