Rumours and Transfers 2014

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Equally it could be argued Smith wont be the player without Wes besides him, both are good players who do a job for the team typical numpties trying to run down our player of the season could only happen at oldham. Just for your info Wes is running away with POS in second is Harkins whose been here a few months.

Palmer only recognises technical ability, no other attributes matter.

How was I running anybody down, how did I?

I've asked you numerous to stop talking :censored: but it seems you can't help it. Wait until next season, you will see....

Wes has been excellent this season. Only average the previous seasons. Why? Coincidence that he is playing along side a quality player?

Wes probably has been our best player or should I say most consistent player. He has been able to get around the pitch more this season and get forward due to Smith covering and talking more than anyone who recently played there. Smith did have a lul but has been carrying injuries and needs a operation.

Palmer only recognises technical ability, no other attributes matter.

Oh yes I forgot we all like someone who tries

That should be a prerequisite shouldn't it?

If you have no technical ability you have no place being a footballer.

Edited by palmer1

How was I running anybody down, how did I?

I've asked you numerous to stop talking :censored: but it seems you can't help it. Wait until next season, you will see....

Wes has been excellent this season. Only average the previous seasons. Why? Coincidence that he is playing along side a quality player?

Wes probably has been our best player or should I say most consistent player. He has been able to get around the pitch more this season and get forward due to Smith covering and talking more than anyone who recently played there. Smith did have a lul but has been carrying injuries and needs a operation.

Well said Palmer-its stating the bloody obvious!

if a decent enough offer came in id sell smith, he started off well but seems to have a lot of similar traits as a certain captain we had last year who in the end we did better without, don't get me wrong hes a good player but I think we could find a replacement who is as good and probably who is cheaper, plus he will walk for nothing next summer anyway.

And that attitude sums up exactly why we have had 18 years in the 3rd division!

Oh yes I forgot we all like someone who tries

That should be a prerequisite shouldn't it?

If you have no technical ability you have no place being a footballer.

Very true, but there's more to being a pro footballer than just ability, teams would look very different if it wasn't.

That's not my point, you need 'cloggers' in your team, there's a lot more to being a footballer than technical ability.

There is, but it doesn't half help. You've still got got to be very athletic in every way, but technical ability has always been a staple of successful teams. Cloggers are only needed if you can't find/fund sufficiently talented athletes. Otherwise, they useless piles of :censored: that aren't worth the entrance fee.

im not saying I don't like smith, but at times he Is frustrating, he looks as though he is scared to shoot and often looks for the easy sideways pass instead of having a run, weve seen in plenty of games what he is capable of but it looks at times that he needs to let the shackles off, like I say if a decent enough offer came in id rather see him go and we get a bit of dosh rather than when he inevitably walks for nothing next summer.

As the great Bill Shankly once said:

"A football team is like a piano; you need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing"

and he knew a thing or two about football... :wink:

he also said football is more important than life and death.

its not!

"A football team is like a piano; you need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing"

he also said football is more important than life and death.

its not!

He actually said: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Somewhat tongue in cheek methinks...

Edited by TheBigDog

Their is a lot of merit in that argument however I do believe you can have players who can carry the piano and play it. In that the teams that usually get promoted have players who are both technically gifted on the ball and when they lose it work hard to get it back the two are not necessarily exclusive. The Southampton team of 2010-11 that ripped us apart that night is the best example of that I have seen at this level.

im not saying I don't like smith, but at times he Is frustrating, he looks as though he is scared to shoot and often looks for the easy sideways pass instead of having a run, weve seen in plenty of games what he is capable of but it looks at times that he needs to let the shackles off, like I say if a decent enough offer came in id rather see him go and we get a bit of dosh rather than when he inevitably walks for nothing next summer.

But that is such a negative viewpoint. Lets say we get a good cheap defensive midfielder in, within the close season and then play Smith in an attacking midfield role that might allow us to play 4-1-3-2 rather than 4-1-4-1 that we currently play. Then next January when we get bids in for him of more like £500K+ rather than 'cashing in' at the moment and getting £250K for him, we can review where we are then, halfway through the season and decide accordingly.

I dont want to watch us for many more seasons in the bottom half of the third division.