Ched Evans

Ched Evans Poll  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Ched Evans for OAFC

• Yes
    • No

Absolute bollocks!!!

Your telling me you didnt celebrate any of his hat trick at Millwall or any other crucial goals he scored

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance in life regardless of what they have done.

Whats absoloute bollocks ? I swear on my kids lifes I never celebrated one of his goals that is a fact the blokes a rat and should never have pulled on a blue shirt.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Sly says "it affects us to this day" he is dead right.

First thing someone at work said when ched looked like he was being released "Ibet you sign him"

Ok that's just a joke but that's the perception of the club. That is a perception the Oldham Athletic have not managed to shake off yet.

A few snippets from that interview:

"We were not prepared to enter into the moral argument"

So we would sign anyone... A paedophile if he was free and good enough? Why not as we wont get into the moral argument.

Why is pointed out later in the interview

"A lot depends on the public perception of the crime and the type of offence" So then if you can get away with it.. we would, its all about perception, nothing to do with your own view, but wait...

"My own personal view, and this is not the view of Oldham Athletic, is that it's a very different situation with Ched Evans,"

That sounds like a moral position there? Or do morals go out of the window when latics cannot gain?

Fantastic points from the "fans respresentitive"

Edited by pukka

From the piece on the BBC site -

"Lee was no trouble to the club"

Really? Wasn't it well known the influence he had in the changing room? The night at the dogs farce, and didn't he square up to Corney/Hardy? Or is that me being senile?

No you are correct plus several other allegations aswell apparently although I think its best the club don't bring them out in the public domain even if he has since departed.

At the time I was happy to give him a second chance but it didn't sit right with me singing and chanting his name.

I'd hope the club doesn't go down this route again, I'm sure some players come with abit of baggage and I don't expect them to be whiter than white however some people are just far more hassle than they are worth.

Ched should be allowed to play football again look at the the facts of the case. However, you can bank on his first start at home will be against us

Amazing how your view can override the whole justice system.

He has been tried, he has been found guilty. That is an unquestionable fact.

He has been sentenced and he has served his time when taking good behaviour etc into account.

He has been released and he is free to work where an employer will accept him, in-accordance with the sex offenders register (I don't know if he is on it) and any other statutory requirements.

I don't like it, I don't like that young Sheffield United fans will grow up idolising him as an amazing footballer. "When I grow up I want to be Ched Evans"

Builder, electrician, taxi driver, dinner lady... anything. If they can convince the employer, they'll have a job.

I had no problem when we signed Hughes, he served his time and said all the right things about doing voluntary work in the community about drink driving etc, however once he'd been here a while his attitude just didn't sit right, instead of keeping a low profile and just getting on with rebuilding his life and career he was out getting drunk regularly and goading the opposition and his silly little dance when he scored just didn't seem right

I think Hughes was pretty understated when he first started playing but things seemed to change on Boxing Day at Crewe when he was getting a lot (compared to what he'd had before) of stick and ran right in front of their fans when he scored twice. From then on I think he played the pantomime villain. That said the argument should be looked at both ways, he can't be debarred from celebrating scoring goals like anybody else. He had his own celebration, because of what happened before shouldn't stop him from celebrating a goal. You can't say somebody can play football but then can't enjoy it when they scored.

I was in favour of the club signing Hughes and have not changed my mind. That said I'd be livid if we signed Evans (which I think it's pretty clear from Bazza's comments we won't be doing). Maybe it's a distorted moral compass but I think Barry has a point about the public perception of a crime. Not for an instance saying Hughes' crime wasn't despicable but for some reason Evans sits a lot worse for me and I can't get past it in my head. And that's to the point that I don't feel he should be playing football, even though my feeling with Hughes was that everyone deserves a second chance, there's something about Evans' crime that gives me an impulsive feeling that he doesn't. It's probably just me but there you go.

That said I think Barry's comments about the signing of Hughes are entirely self-contradictory and generally bollocks. How can the club not be bothered about the moral issues and take fans' comments on board, given any fans reservations were about moral issues...

I'm going to stick my neck out and say I'd take him.

if he found the form he had before this :censored: storm he would be the final piece of the jigsaw.

He's served his time and at the end of the day, if we didn't take him, someone else will and he would only end up improving somebody else's team which in turn will have a detrimental effect on us.

His girlfriend's a tolerant type, whichever way you view his guilt!

As is her dad who is funding his continuing attempts to appeal conviction. Just one of a number of things in the story that seem bizarre to most people.

My own view is that where a footballer commits an offence, serves his punishment, and shows remorse he should be allowed to continue his career on release. On that basis I was fine with us signing Hughes. We shouldn't sign Evans though. Never shown any remorse, admittedly because he denies the offence but the club can't go behind the fact he was properly convicted. Also, even on the admitted facts, he seems like a nasty piece of work and we wouldn't want a character like that disrupting things at the moment. Any continuing Appeal/Court proceedings would also be unwelcome.

I wouldn't want him anywhere near BP, if Barry still does care to look on here, then please no.

In which case, NO!

As a supporter I would feel very uncomfortable.

As a father with a daughter, i would feel sick and angry to the point where i would want to punch him at the slighest issue.

I don't give a :censored: about what others think (he's hard done by, he's innocent etc). He's been found guilty of one of the worst crimes. That makes him a total :censored:.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say I'd take him.

if he found the form he had before this :censored: storm he would be the final piece of the jigsaw.

He's served his time and at the end of the day, if we didn't take him, someone else will and he would only end up improving somebody else's team which in turn will have a detrimental effect on us.

Great logic, on that basis let's get Max Clifford in as club spokesman and Rolf Harris to do the half time entertainment...

If this is Barry gauging fans opinion again, & I've got a horrible feeling it is, here's mine - please don't sign him.

This is a journalist -mike Keegan- who knows Latics and the Hughes story and, reasonably on the topicality of the Evans story, interviewing a director of a club that signed a convicted criminal

Great logic, on that basis let's get Max Clifford in as club spokesman and Rolf Harris to do the half time entertainment...

Completely different. Those wouldn't have any impact on the team.

Evans could turn us into a definite promotion contender.

Don't get me wrong if someone with a similar goal scoring record came along who hadn't been in prison, I'd prefer him, but sadly our only real chance of signing a goal machine with our finances is if they are seriously flawed.

Don't get me wrong if someone with a similar goal scoring record came along who hadn't been in prison, I'd prefer him, but sadly our only real chance of signing a goal machine with our finances is if they are seriously flawed.

Our recent good form seems to be down to a good team spirit and players who want to play rather than be footballers (think LJ said that at some point). Surely Evans doesn't fit into that, and that's before you remember he's a convicted rapist.

Whilst it's true to say he's free to work, hands up who on here reckons they would get their old job back after serving a serious prison sentence?

In my industry I couldn't.

Problem is, I think, the FA/FL wouldn't be allowed by law to refuse to register a player with a criminal record.

If they could that would sort it once & for all.

Maybe if UKIP get in.......?

What's Forte's serious flaw?

To be honest I think any return he tries to make in this country will be short lived, vitriol from the stands will be on a scale we've not seen before, players demanding transfers because they won't play with him etc etc.