• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/541726/EXCLUSIVE-Ched-Evans-talks-Oldham-Athletic-football-news

They've probably twisted this up so much, we got the story because of what's gone before with signing Hughes

That's what I think

There are other players out there on the market available who can improve us who dont have that baggage

Daniel Johnson or Ched Evans?

It shouldn't happen

It won't happen

Edited by GlossopLatic

My instinctive reaction and prayer is this is all bollocks.

Mods - if you go on S24SU all their Ched talk is members only. As much as I disagree with some supportive comments on here it may be worth doing the same to stop some comments being included in tabloid reports...

It wouldn't be the first time I know, but there's nothing stopping them from joining I suppose. I call for an official club press release that reflects their views that gives the media a definitive official line.

Generally everybody is fairly decent on here, I would like to think that regulars would not post misinformation or rumour that could hurt OAFC in the bigger picture. However any posts we see that conflicts with that, will be reviewed and the appropriate action may be taken. One-time posters or lurkers who suddenly start to comment will be closely monitored also.

If there's any truth in the story (given it's the Express I'm surprised that they didn't link us to signing Lady Di in the midst of the worst winter since the planet cooled) then it's an odd follow up to Barry's open letter where lapsed supporters were urged to come and join in the new found positivity.

Obviously, I don't want him here. Other strikers deserve an opportunity.

Let's have a thought for a moment, if your innocent buy our a victim of a miscarriage of justice would you fight it and want to rebuild your life?

The lad is an unreal football and I would sigh him as long as financially we don't lose any sponsors

Let's have a thought for a moment, if your innocent buy our a victim of a miscarriage of justice would you fight it and want to rebuild your life?

The lad is an unreal football and I would sigh him as long as financially we don't lose any sponsors

I'd be putting my energy into an appeal rather than finding an employer that alliws me to continue a high profile career that doesn't care if I was guilty or not. I think most people have *thought for a moment*.

No problem with him appealing and if it's overturned then it's up for a discussion. But until then he's a convicted rapist who doesn't think he's done anything wrong. Not a remorseful rehabilitated ex offender.

Steer well clear. It won't just be sponsors that walk away it'll be fans too. The club can't afford to do anything other than take the appropriate moral stand.

Just like it did with Montano. Success at all costs is not why I support a team like Oldham.

I'll change my views if he's cleared. He'll change from being a rapist to merely a bloke who likes sloppy seconds.

He's been a decent player in the past. Unreal? Nah.

As I've said, he signs - my ticket goes back.

But - from a club POV, is he even actually worth the risk? Alienating the supporters, adverse media attention, loss of sponsors etc. And, for what?

He's an OK striker who had 1 particular free-scoring season.

On loan, or on the free transfer market, there are other strikers available who carry distinctly less baggage than this lad does; by virtue of the fact they haven't been convicted of rape.

Edited by slystallone

This news is sickening and takes the gloss off yesterday's win and a very good season so far. Typically, the club won't give a denial or any other kind of statement. No sign of our representative on the Board resigning yet. I was against the Hughes deal but at least he was contrite. Evans is in denial and his using his rich friends and reactionary and self-serving organisations such as various PFAs to gloss over and deny. Until a court overturns the decision then he is guilty as charged. Unlike Hughes, he accepts no guilt or responsibility.

I abhor the deal with Ashley but we must accept that there are benefits and put up with it and we can't take on the sins of the world. His company is notorious for policies such as "zero hours" contracts and sponsorship links with an unscrupulous loan merchant. But why would Corney sabotage our season and club over Evans? Forget moral arguments - Corney is a "businessman" and wants his money back from us, and genuinly wants a promotion. He has striven for success. But do we need a Ched Evans anyway, despite his baggage? The team looks fine to me. What will he cost in contract terms? We shall reap the whirlwind if we sign him and our promotion push will be de-railed. The media will be merciless; it is just waiting for some clown of a Chairman to pick up the baton from Bramall Lane, who were only planning to let him train, not sign. God help the club that signs him. How would our sponsors react (apart from Ashley)? As far as I'm aware we don't have the rich and famous supporters that the blades have, but I guess that many sponsors would think twice about continuing to have business links with the club. Oldham town doesn't exactly have a good reputation, and even thinking of signing Evans would add to all the negative stories about poverty, ignorance, racial divide and poor governance. It was so heartening last night reading the match reviews and then the story of the four young Latics players giving time and money to help a foodbank. That's the image of the club and town that we need.

I shall dread watching Latics away (and at home) if Evans plays. Opposition fans and various pressure groups will react strongly and the feel-good factor will soon disappear. Player morale will suffer and it will damage performances and results. Myself and others are already considering how we protest about the possible signing. It will put our players and staff in a quandary. Will Johnson be happy? He comes across as a decent and humane man but do we take the rumours of Evans as evidence that Johnson is will accept Evans?

There are so many issues here that we need early clarification. Already the club is tarnished (unless a complete denial is on the way). I bloody well knew that it would be us getting involved before long. Let's hope it's a nightmare and I shall soon wake up.

If he wins his appeal every club in the league will want to sign him!!

I think he's innocent and yeah I've read up on the case!!!

Would you rather sign ched evens and he scores the winner in the play off final or stay in league 1 AGAIN?

Not sign Ched Evans and go up automatically :grin: , or via the play-offs, or stay where we are. If we sign him I'll not see any of it anyway - but at least I'll be going out on a bit of a high after yesterday.

IF he wins his appeal I'd still not like to sign him - he's not that good. Then he'll not be guilty of rape but still guilty of a severe lack of moral compass IMO.

Edited by gbium

It's little more than relationship building.

If his conviction is overturned do you think he will sign for someone that didn't even have the courtesy to hear him out? Will he heck.

If someone is bold enough to sign him up at this stage and it's then overturned I hope he remembers who that club is and treats them with loyalty for the rest of his playing days?

This news is sickening and takes the gloss off yesterday's win and a very good season so far. Typically, the club won't give a denial or any other kind of statement. No sign of our representative on the Board resigning yet. I was against the Hughes deal but at least he was contrite. Evans is in denial and his using his rich friends and reactionary and self-serving organisations such as various PFAs to gloss over and deny. Until a court overturns the decision then he is guilty as charged. Unlike Hughes, he accepts no guilt or responsibility.

I abhor the deal with Ashley but we must accept that there are benefits and put up with it and we can't take on the sins of the world. His company is notorious for policies such as "zero hours" contracts and sponsorship links with an unscrupulous loan merchant. But why would Corney sabotage our season and club over Evans? Forget moral arguments - Corney is a "businessman" and wants his money back from us, and genuinly wants a promotion. He has striven for success. But do we need a Ched Evans anyway, despite his baggage? The team looks fine to me. What will he cost in contract terms? We shall reap the whirlwind if we sign him and our promotion push will be de-railed. The media will be merciless; it is just waiting for some clown of a Chairman to pick up the baton from Bramall Lane, who were only planning to let him train, not sign. God help the club that signs him. How would our sponsors react (apart from Ashley)? As far as I'm aware we don't have the rich and famous supporters that the blades have, but I guess that many sponsors would think twice about continuing to have business links with the club. Oldham town doesn't exactly have a good reputation, and even thinking of signing Evans would add to all the negative stories about poverty, ignorance, racial divide and poor governance. It was so heartening last night reading the match reviews and then the story of the four young Latics players giving time and money to help a foodbank. That's the image of the club and town that we need.

I shall dread watching Latics away (and at home) if Evans plays. Opposition fans and various pressure groups will react strongly and the feel-good factor will soon disappear. Player morale will suffer and it will damage performances and results. Myself and others are already considering how we protest about the possible signing. It will put our players and staff in a quandary. Will Johnson be happy? He comes across as a decent and humane man but do we take the rumours of Evans as evidence that Johnson is will accept Evans?

There are so many issues here that we need early clarification. Already the club is tarnished (unless a complete denial is on the way). I bloody well knew that it would be us getting involved before long. Let's hope it's a nightmare and I shall soon wake up.

Ridiculously OTT

Ironic that the very first person to comment after advising everyone to chillax comes out with this.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Ridiculously OTT

Ironic that the very first person to comment after advising everyone to chillax comes out with this.

Hang on, I might agree with your point about stepping back from this but let's have debate - discuss the opinion not the owner of the opinion.