Johnson to Barnsley

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am delusional, but that's besides the point.

If Barnsley stay up and we stay down then it would be a step up, but this is a Barnsley team that's been in the bottom half for the majority of the season and has just lost 5-1 to Crawley ffs! It's not a quick fix job for anyone.

It wasn't a quick fix job when he came here and the Barnsley situation is similar.

Barnsley are struggling no doubt but they still command almost 9000 home fans.

They went for Cooper at Swindon so they ain't mucking about.

If Johnson can keep them up then next season he can sign players way out of our reach and if successful and up near the top 12000+ will be the norm.

On our crowds he's feeding off scraps, he's no miracle worker and to achieve promotion here would need a massive amount of luck and could take 3 or 4 seasons if at all.

If he's as ambitious as he seems I'm pretty sure he would take the job with Corney's blessing.

Realistically, the main difference from last season is the amount of poor sides. The reason we're up there this year is because no one has been good enough to make 5th and 6th their own.

We've improved, but he's not worked a miracle...

That said I'd be gutted if he went.

Realistically, the main difference from last season is the amount of poor sides. The reason we're up there this year is because no one has been good enough to make 5th and 6th their own.

Im not going to say he has worked a miracle but to dismiss our position this season is totally wrong

He has done an excellent job overall this season and to say the only reason we are competing for a play off spot at this point of the season is because the league is poor is bollocks.

when we have been fighting relegation for the last few years was it becasue the league was of a high standard?

You can only play against what is put in front of you and LJ is in the middle of a run where he is building a squad that can compete.we are a work in progress but we are competeing while at the same time the club is changing. Building a new stand with all the :censored: that brings plenty of off field turmoil, a chairman who reportedly wants to leave and a new member of the board joing every month it seems. As well as Barry trying to sign half of strangeways....

If he is being linked to other jobs, there must be a reason and it isnt because league 1 is poor

Edited by palmer1

Fickle business soccer, you can be flavour of the month one week and out of fashion the next or vice versa - Cooper at Swindon a prime example.

That said Johnson doesn't strike me as a bloke who would necessarily command respect at the higher Championship end so somewhere like a Barnsley might be his level, for now at least anyway.

Edited by deyres42

Trouble is, everyone in football is in it for the money and if Barnsley offer him 5p more a week, he'll be off

I genuinely think that at the moment LJ is probably more interested in the long-term impacts on his career rather than short-term financial returns. Seems to be a person that thinks strategically about his career so a few extra £k for a season would not be the reason he would leave Oldham IMO...

It wasn't a quick fix job when he came here and the Barnsley situation is similar.

Barnsley are struggling no doubt but they still command almost 9000 home fans.

They went for Cooper at Swindon so they ain't mucking about.

If Johnson can keep them up then next season he can sign players way out of our reach and if successful and up near the top 12000+ will be the norm.

On our crowds he's feeding off scraps, he's no miracle worker and to achieve promotion here would need a massive amount of luck and could take 3 or 4 seasons if at all.

If he's as ambitious as he seems I'm pretty sure he would take the job with Corney's blessing.

.....this is why he would want to go. We are both League One clubs, who have been in the Top flight since the formation of the Premiership, and we are slightly better off than they are this season.....but taking the blue-tinted spectacles off for a moment (difficult I know) but we are a club that if promoted would massively struggle to establish ourselves in the Championship due to the lack of income (new stand or not). Barnsley have the stadium capacity and potential crowds to be a genuinely better team than we can be sustainably - we could manage to create something from the 'unwanted', but their income could sustain a better team than we ever could.

Long-term career prospects will be better at Barnsley than us. His Dad knows this - got a team that really isn't big enough into the Championship, got inevitably relegated next season and then gets sacked. With Barnsley he stands a chance of getting them up and keeping them up - likely to keep his job and wait until a team that is in the Championship but could hope to get promoted comes along.

Based on our crowds (and therefore income) being the lowest they have been since we got in this division, he is on track to achieve the largest points total (and league position) in over 5 seasons (when we had an extra 1000 on the gate and no FFP rule).

Poor sides or not - he has achieved a lot this season IMO.

The one thing this makes me realise is how far our clubs sank in the past 10 years, people are talking on here like Barnsley are some footballing powerhouse, gone are the days Oakwell was a crumbling heap and we had more fans at their ground than they had, its bad enough losing players to the likes of Yeovil, Scunthorpe and Brentford but a promising manager to Barnsley ffs.

Sheridan has ruled himself out of the Barnsley job. Even though he still lives in Leeds.

That is what was in last nights local paper here in Plymouth.

Shezza was quoted as saying "he is building something big down here with the green army and wants to continue his work and see them promoted this season or next"

That is some commute to work though!!!!

Whether LJ wants to go or not may be totally irrelevant.

Although given the money he'll have and possible a huge contract, I'm sure he wouldn't be crying his way out the door.

It's down to the board.

If Barnsley have offered a lot of dosh to pay off his contract, it's more money than we usually get for a manager, helps the stand, helps Corney have the club in a sellable position, and probably helps is make even after failing to get any cup money this season.

Maybe the Colchester game, particularly with the offer, dented belief in LJ a little...

Maybe they'll think Tommy Wright could continue as manager.

Paul Murray would prob turn up with LJ at Barnsley...?

Pretty much where I am. I want him to stay but I don't think we're massively over-performing. There are still likely to be wholesale changes pre-season so, whoever's in charge, you just need that one season where you get lucky. If Johnson believes this could be one of those years, he should stay.