Youth team reach cup final

There's a brilliant interview after the game with TP on YouTube, the passion. That's over 50 teams in that competition they've conquered and you can bet MK Don's budget dwarfs whatever Latics are able to provide...

You could see in TP's face that he was gutted that he has to let a lot of those lads leave after that. Would be brilliant to see some more stay on. There shouldn't be a limit on the amount of youths taken on if they're good enough.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely dominated MK Dons in front a fantastic crowd for a youth game.

Latics were physical and got into the opponents faces (without being 'dirty' and giving away cheap fouls) and kept a high tempo throughout. A proper team performance and one to be proud of. Well done TP and team!!

Proud of every one of 'em - TP hinted that there may be a rethink over one or two of the lads who have been released. Sincerely hope that this is the case.

Also - to get nearly 800 at the game sends a great message to the younger lads - great praise from Gordon for the Athleticos and from TP for the whole crowd.

Proud of every one of 'em - TP hinted that there may be a rethink over one or two of the lads who have been released. Sincerely hope that this is the case.

Probably unfair of me to judge after one game, but releasing Tyson looks like a mistake.

Probably unfair of me to judge after one game, but releasing Tyson looks like a mistake.

That decision is certainly not based on ability nor attitude. If we were in the position of being able to fund & work with 3 full time professional keepers then Tyson would have been a shoe-in but I think any new manager would want someone with experience to complement Coleman and the decision is based around that. Huge shame because he'll make it somewhere.

That decision is certainly not based on ability nor attitude. If we were in the position of being able to fund & work with 3 full time professional keepers then Tyson would have been a shoe-in but I think any new manager would want someone with experience to complement Coleman and the decision is based around that. Huge shame because he'll make it somewhere.

How much can these lads be getting paid? We've had up to 4 pro keepers on the books in Dickov's time if I remember correctly, and Bouzanis and Cisak's wages would've been at least fivefold whatever the kids are paid.

Seeing the goals back you can't help but admire TP. So well drilled and a bit of quality in there as well.

Also - to get nearly 800 at the game sends a great message to the younger lads - great praise from Gordon for the Athleticos and from TP for the whole crowd.

And add praise to Gary Davies, who was there for the earlier rounds too. 1st round

Gary Davies@laticsgary Feb 10

Final score @shrewsyouthteam 1-2 @OAFCAcademy

And #GaryFact for the first game in the Cup run, the bus broke down and kick of was delayed!

Edited by singe

How much can these lads be getting paid? We've had up to 4 pro keepers on the books in Dickov's time if I remember correctly, and Bouzanis and Cisak's wages would've been at least fivefold whatever the kids are paid.

Suppose there's also available game time to take into account. With only a handful of second string friendlies then you can't provide for 3 keepers & if you loan such a young keeper out for an extended period of time then you're no longer developing them.

What was the cup they won last year? Was it the same one?

Nope that was the Lancashire Youth cup

Yep, this is several steps up and was a National final.

I am still not 100% clear, but I think equivalent to winning the JPT.

Edited by singe

That would be excellent and well deserved.

Kudos to TP, bigger man to admit making a mistake and all that. Though I am sure most decisions are financial. To SC if he allows more to be kpet in

Is it possible to become even more legendary?

Lets hope this leads to more funding for our Youths and more coming here because of the chance, and a longer term improvement in our Youth set up.

Edited by singe

Only Championship youth teams are involved too.

These are the teams that entered this season (that we bettered)

AFC Bournemouth

Luton Town U18

Cambridge United

Gillingham U18

Cheltenham Town

Swindon Town U18

Exeter City U18

Portsmouth U18

Oxford United U18

Bristol Rovers U18

Torquay United U18

AFC Wimbledon U18

Newport County U18

Plymouth Argyle

Stevenage U18

Milton Keynes

Northampton Town

Leyton Orient U18

Barnet U18

Southend United

AFC Wimbledon U18

Dagenham & Redbridge

Luton Town U18

Watford U18

Peterborough U18

Burnley U18

Tranmere Rovers

Burton Albion U18

Notts County U18

Bury U18

Port Vale U18

Carlisle Unite

Hull City U18

Chesterfield U18

Scunthorpe United

Grimsby Town U18

Blackpool U18

Hartlepool United

Wigan U18

Morecambe U18

Doncaster Rovers

Rotherham U18

Mansfield Town U18

Walsall U18

Wrexham U18

Accrington Stanley

York City U18

Fleetwood Town U18

Preston North End

Rochdale U18

What the hell was the penalty for? I can't see an incident?

But, once it is saved there is one lad who is very switched on, lots of the team are celebrating, he spots the runner going to receive the early corner then barracks the team and does the old tapping head "concentrate" thing, future Latics captain there lads, and ladies.

But, once it is saved there is one lad who is very switched on, lots of the team are celebrating, he spots the runner going to receive the early corner then barracks the team and does the old tapping head "concentrate" thing, future Latics captain there lads, and ladies.

Penalty must have been for handball.

Had to laugh at the keeper legging it to the halfway line to celebrate the first. On his own.

And finally, the complete lack of gaudily-coloured boots pleased me greatly.

That was the left back Callum Scullion, I noted him when he played centre back a few weeks ago, probably needs to grow a bit taller for that position (although he's excellent in the air), but he looks to have a great will to win attitude, distributes well with his left foot, and is very quick.

I will look forward to see how he goes on next season in his 2nd year at the club.

Probably one I'd be sending on a 6 month loan to a good Conference club such as Halifax, as he physically he would have no trouble at that level.

The same goes for winger Lee Knight and tigerish midfielder Alex Read too.

Edited by BP1960

I'd sooner the Playershare money be used for giving youth a chance, can this be done for a couple of the lads who haven't been retained?

Edited by BP1960