Lancashire 2015

We watched it at our cricket club where Arron Lilley is captain. Very proud moment, particularly for his grandparents who were with us in the bar. It's been brilliant seeing him develop 'up close' for the past 6 years. Quite an important 20-odd he put on at the end too.

But yeah, as a team they've been fantastic this season. It's also been good that the T20 - essentially a batting competition - has been won with great bowling performances. Apart from Yorkshire at home we've been much stronger with the ball all season and so it proved.

Lilley is quality. And like most of the team he is dynamite in the field. The catch he set up at Kent in the quarter was verging on genius. And the running diving catch he took against Notts in the group stage is probably the best one I have ever seen live.

You can tell he, and the rest of the team, take immense pride in representing Lancashire. Even the lads who aren't homegrown, the likes of Prince, Buttler and even Faulkner absolutely love it. Which is great to see.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What he said.

Look like seven of the nine test ground counties will be in the first division next year. Eight if Hants make a dart and stay up.

Three of the four T20 semi finalists the same as last year.

Not the best for the game generally.

Not quite true as Middlesex don't have a test ground (MCC do) and they get very little income from Lords; certainly a lot less than one might assume.

• 2 weeks later...

Get a draw today and it's still on...But the weather is overcast at the mo so it may swing a bit early doors. ..But they only have 4 bowlers...But we have to bat all day...Couldn't think of any ifs

Good battling draw in the end, we were behind the eight ball for the entire match.

Our bowling looks toothless without Jarvis and Faulkner.

Surrey are still in the box seat for the Championship though, with an 8 point advantage going into the last round of matches.

I always struggle with to understand not enforcing the follow-on. I know there are reasons not to but I think the psychological effect of sending a team back out for a second innings, still miles short, is a strong one. Why Surrey chose not to enforce it on day 3 of 4, I really don't know. That's cost them the win (and hopefully, if all goes well next week, the title).

I always struggle with to understand not enforcing the follow-on. I know there are reasons not to but I think the psychological effect of sending a team back out for a second innings, still miles short, is a strong one. Why Surrey chose not to enforce it on day 3 of 4, I really don't know. That's cost them the win (and hopefully, if all goes well next week, the title).

I agree with you in the vast majority of instances, enforcing the follow on is psychologically demoralising for the opposition, and in this case certainly cost Surrey the win.

The only reasons I can think not to enforce it is if your bowling attack is absolutely knackered and need a break, or if the wicket is wearing really badly and you definitely don't want to bat last on it, even chasing a small total.

I still think Surrey are massive favourites for the Championship with a home game to Northants while we travel to Essex, as well as the 8 point advantage they have, still stranger things have happened.

I think it's fair to say that Surrey have the title in the bag. Northants are 267 short of Surrey's 1st innings total, following on (Surrey enforced it this time!) with one wicket down.

Meanwhile Lancs are 116-1 in reply to Essex's 394.

Yeah, Championship has gone but still a good season with promotion and the T20.

• 7 months later...

Archived