League 1 Activity

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

If you have a player like Hanson you’ll end up going long all the time whether you mean to or not, it would be too hard not to

That wasn't always the case at Bradford who at times played some great football.

He's going to Bury anyway by the looks of it so it's all hypothetical.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

That wasn't always the case at Bradford who at times played some great football.

He's going to Bury anyway by the looks of it so it's all hypothetical.

It was. When he played, they were a long ball side. Only him leaving, and McCall coming in, changed their style...

9 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It was. When he played, they were a long ball side. Only him leaving, and McCall coming in, changed their style...

There's a place for the big guys.. Matt Smith v Liverpool for example, and you play a varied game with them in the side not hoof ball.

Believe me, if RW had half a chance of signing Hanson he'd take it.

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Carthorses can be very effective carrying the team load and his goal scoring record is decent.

Yes I'd definately take him if any chance of playing alongside a player similar Doyle.

I wonder how a similar type of brute Akinfenwa is going on this season?

I agree about their usefulness often being underrated simply because they look unorthodox.

But while Davies and Holloway aren't as rugged and maybe even savvy, they are both more mobile than Hansen.

There are years where we needed a player like Hansen but this isn't one of them.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

There's a place for the big guys.. Matt Smith v Liverpool for example, and you play a varied game with them in the side not hoof ball.

Believe me, if RW had half a chance of signing Hanson he'd take it.

He wouldn't.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Are you saying Hanson isn't good enough for our high flying division one team?

His time has been and gone. Bradford played crap "hoofball" on a mire of a pitch with him in the team. The fact he's rarely figured at Bramhall Lane is a testimony to his effectiveness.

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Are you saying Hanson isn't good enough for our high flying division one team?

Doyle's effectiveness with Wellens' style of play was his mobility, pace, movement and predatory instincts.

I don't see how a 10 goal a season veteran lump would be of any use whatsoever.

58 minutes ago, Markspark92 said:

Hanson would be a great signing for any team in this division he scored nearly 80 goals for Bradford, physical player and knows where the net is 

5 goals in 30 appearances over the last season and a half. I’d bet almost all 5 from a long punt up front or a set piece. His time has gone and even in his prime I doubt he’d suit RW’s style of play. 

36 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

5 goals in 30 appearances over the last season and a half. I’d bet almost all 5 from a long punt up front or a set piece. His time has gone and even in his prime I doubt he’d suit RW’s style of play. 

Come in Matt Smith, Matt Rhead, Akinfenwa and all similar types, there is no place for you nowadays. We know you can cause havoc, manufacture assists and score plenty of goals, but according to some purist Oldham Athletic fans you won't be welcome here.

Except for me, I'm not an out and out purist and believe football is a game where players with different skills can complement each other.

Funny how even in the top flight yesterday it took a couple of big  old fashioned centre forwards to win games.

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Come in Matt Smith, Matt Rhead, Akinfenwa and all similar types, there is no place for you nowadays. We know you can cause havoc, manufacture assists and score plenty of goals, but according to some purist Oldham Athletic fans you won't be welcome here.

Except for me, I'm not an out and out purist and believe football is a game where players with different skills can complement each other.

Funny how even in the top flight yesterday it took a couple of big  old fashioned centre forwards to win games.

I’d take Matt Smith tomorrow. But not a 31 year old with 5 goals in 30 games in 18 months...

Agree BP no better than a big angry bastard up front with someone playing off his. In my time alone 

Ron Futcher

Frank Bunn

Ian Marshall 

Graeme Sharp

Sean McCarthy

Clyde Wijnhard

Matt Smith 

Holloway when he can be arsed 

even short soelks from Paul Wilkinson abs Higdon had an impact.

There’s always room for a big fella up there especially in the third division. The teams that do well in this league have a big lad up there usually with a smaller prolific guy alongside.

Just now, kowenicki said:

5 goals in 30 games in 18 months...

It's appearances not full games, Matt Smith's record of goals per minute must be up with the best of them. Besides they can unnerve and distract  defences creating openings for others. They are also of great benefit on set plays attacking and defending. 

Just look how many goaks we have conceded due to lack of aerial power?

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It's appearances not full games, Matt Smith's record of goals per minute must be up with the best of them. Besides they can unnerve and distract  defences creating openings for others. They are also of great benefit on set plays attacking and defending. 

Just look how many goaks we have conceded due to lack of aerial power?

Er... I just said I’d take Matt Smith tomorrow?

I just don’t want and don’t rate Hanson. 

Opinions. 

3 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

Agree BP no better than a big angry bastard up front with someone playing off his. In my time alone 

Ron Futcher

Frank Bunn

Ian Marshall 

Graeme Sharp

Sean McCarthy

Clyde Wijnhard

Matt Smith 

Holloway when he can be arsed 

even short soelks from Paul Wilkinson abs Higdon had an impact.

There’s always room for a big fella up there especially in the third division. The teams that do well in this league have a big lad up there usually with a smaller prolific guy alongside.

Andy Lochead, Alan Young, Jim Steel and the best header of them all Jim Fryatt. I don't remember us playing hoof ball when those were doing well.

Just ask Rick Holden which type of player he'd prefer to cross to. 

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Andy Lochead, Alan Young, Jim Steel and the best header of them all Jim Fryatt. I don't remember us playing hoof ball when those were doing well.

Just ask Rick Holden which type of player he'd prefer to cross to. 

Andy Ritchie. 5ft 10. Skillful. 

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

Er... I just said I’d take Matt Smith tomorrow?

I just don’t want and don’t rate Hanson. 

Opinions. 

You said his time has gone which you cannot possibly know. He's 30yo with a few years ahead of him. 

6 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Andy Ritchie. 5ft 10. Skillful. 

Always an exception to the rule, Ritchie was also a very strong player with all the attributes of a centre forward. If you can find one like him now for our level let me know asap  

Archived