League 1 Activity

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

He’s had the opportunity at Latics to bring in loanees to help keep us up. Will have to do it with existing squad at Fleetwood . 

True, but he also get the players we had working together. He's got something there to build on

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

He’s had the opportunity at Latics to bring in loanees to help keep us up. Will have to do it with existing squad at Fleetwood . 

With the exception of those without a club. 

Think youth loans don't apply to the transfer window either. 

2 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

Portsmouth - 35 places from where they traditionally are

Bournemouth + 44 places better off 

We're 19 places worse off. So if we claim Historical right, we're 2nd in the league and going up!

Yeh, but that average is a fluctuating one... every bad year we're closer to mean.

What I'd like to see is the effect of our continued 3rd tier position on the mean, and how that compares to others. Someone like Bournemouth may be well above mean, but they were below it not long ago... I'd like to see how that lies for a decade or so.  Are they a flash in the pan (yes, unless they make it seriously stick) versus us, who're persistently below our historical position. If that makes sense?  In which case an argument can be made for the present being more representative than the historic.

If we want to get really deep someone should then take those trends and compare them to the local area's socioeconomic picture and see if there's a correlation (or even causation!).  But, I've gone full stats-nerd now and we've not a chance Sky will fund it... maybe someone should tweet the Guardian, they like that kind of thing.

10 minutes ago, Ackey said:

Yeh, but that average is a fluctuating one... every bad year we're closer to mean.

What I'd like to see is the effect of our continued 3rd tier position on the mean, and how that compares to others. Someone like Bournemouth may be well above mean, but they were below it not long ago... I'd like to see how that lies for a decade or so.  Are they a flash in the pan (yes, unless they make it seriously stick) versus us, who're persistently below our historical position. If that makes sense?  In which case an argument can be made for the present being more representative than the historic.

If we want to get really deep someone should then take those trends and compare them to the local area's socioeconomic picture and see if there's a correlation (or even causation!).  But, I've gone full stats-nerd now and we've not a chance Sky will fund it... maybe someone should tweet the Guardian, they like that kind of thing.

This is why I don't teach Maths....anyway this Polar Vortex......

23 minutes ago, Ackey said:

I've long since though that was a likely long term trend with the gravaitation of wealth and economic activity to the South East and also cultural factors that would make overseas players prefer to play in and around London.  Outliers like Citeh would skew the overall stats though.

5 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I work with stats but studied philosophy. Some lovely mathematical tautologies there.

Impressive stuff from Ackey, if only Latics knew what they had when he was a mere web monkey...could have sold him on and put in a clause....:tongue1:

That Corney could have cashed in...

56 minutes ago, Ackey said:

versus us, who're persistently below our historical position.

Not sure that bears out. Of our 101 league seasons:

top flight = 12/101
In 2nd of 3 tiers = 13/101
In 2nd of 4 tiers = 20/101
In 3rd of 4 tiers = 30/101
bottom flight = 26/101

Bottom flight obviously includes when we were in 3N when there was no 4th divison (16 seasons - 10 top half, 6 bottom half), and 3 when there were only 2 divisons. Of the 12 seasons in 2nd of 3rd tiers we were top half 7 times, bottom half 5.

Even ignoring the above, our 37 years in 3/4 or 4/4 is not far off eclipsing the 45 years we've been in the second tier or higher.

1 hour ago, Ackey said:

Don't forget away following as a percentage of home crowd... :grin:

11 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Don't forget away following as a percentage of home crowd... :grin:

I'll tell ya what Dave, you're bang on..... :lol:

1  Oldham 19.2%
2  Blackburn 16.6%
3  Blackpool 16.3%
4  Bury 15.9%
5  Rochdale 15.5%
6  Rotherham 15.4%
7  Oxford 13.8%
8  Northampton 13.6%
9  Scunthorpe 13.5%
10  AFC Wimbledon 13.0%
11  Peterborough 12.9%
12  Shrewsbury 11.5%
13  Bristol Rovers 10.7%
14  Wigan 10.4%
15  Plymouth 9.9%
16  Portsmouth 9.8%
17  Walsall 9.8%
18  Southend 9.2%
19  Gillingham 8.1%
20  Doncaster 7.9%
21  Charlton 7.2%
22  Bradford 6.0%
23  Fleetwood 6.0%
24  MK Dons 4.8%

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

I do teach maths and that's blown my mind.

Maths? What’s the big deal ?

There are only ten numbers  - and that’s including zero. After that surely it’s just a question of putting them in the right order. 

With reading and writing there are 26 characters to deal with - much more complex.

1 minute ago, LaticsPete said:

Maths? What’s the big deal ?

There are only ten numbers  - and that’s including zero. After that surely it’s just a question of putting them in the right order. 

With reading and writing there are 26 characters to deal with - much more complex.

Two words. Algebra.

2 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I'll tell ya what Dave, you're bang on..... :lol:

1  Oldham 19.2%
2  Blackburn 16.6%
3  Blackpool 16.3%
4  Bury 15.9%
5  Rochdale 15.5%
6  Rotherham 15.4%
7  Oxford 13.8%
8  Northampton 13.6%
9  Scunthorpe 13.5%