League 1 Activity

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, singe said:

Wimbledon are moving back to Plough Lane taking over the old greyhound track.. They are trying to crowndfund £7m of the estiamted £30m cost.

Amazing what you could achieve by being fan-owned isn't it? I drove past not long ago.... dog track had been completely flattened and ground work already underway.....

.....equally, you wanna see Brentford's new gaff too..... I live a 15 minute walk away.... it's gonna be ace.

Related image

3 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Amazing what you could achieve by being fan-owned isn't it? I drove past not long ago.... dog track had been completely flattened and ground work already underway.....

.....equally, you wanna see Brentford's new gaff too..... I live a 15 minute walk away.... it's gonna be ace.

Related image

Steady... they haven’t achieved it yet.

(Brentford owner is loaded)

Just now, kowenicki said:

Steady... they haven’t achieved it yet.

(Brentford owner is loaded)

True. They already own the land though. One step further than we do..... I'll conjecture the stadium will get built alright.....

I know..... but his Business Plan - which accepts Brentford are a selling club - includes an astoundingly successful net profit on player sales which has a gone a long way to offsetting his personal CapEx. He and his Brentford project is incredibly impressive......

Just now, lookersstandandy said:

True. They already own the land though. One step further than we do..... I'll conjecture the stadium will get built alright.....

I know..... but his Business Plan - which accepts Brentford are a selling club - includes an astoundingly successful net profit on player sales which has a gone a long way to offsetting his personal CapEx. He and his Brentford project is incredibly impressive......

Oh... it will get built. The £14m contribution form a house builder (joint planning applicant) and the sale of their previous ground for development and the sales of some other land to Chelsea FC will make sure of it.  

They actually got very lucky being dumped out of the league and in the fact nobody had already developed Plough Lane before they were ready to return. 

Now if someone wants to flog BP for development and build a stadium elsewhere that might work.... oh... hang on.  

Merton council is obviously a lot more sensible and forward looking that the set of idiots that are councillors in Oldham. 

2 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Oh... it will get built. The £14m contribution form a house builder (joint planning applicant) and the sale of their previous ground for development and the sales of some other land to Chelsea FC will make sure of it.  

They actually got very lucky being dumped out of the league and in the fact nobody had already developed Plough Lane before they were ready to return. 

Now if someone wants to flog BP for development and build a stadium elsewhere that might work.... oh... hang on.  

Merton council is obviously a lot more sensible and forward looking that the set of idiots that are councillors in Oldham. 

We're at risk of violently agreeing here Kow..... although I don't suppose any original Don's fans would allow you to get away with a statement as bold as, "they.... got very lucky being dumped out of the league"..... so easily.....

Oldham Council most certainly haven't done us any favours over the years though..... Sports Park 2000 was our best chance at a sustainable/competitive future.... but once the land passed into private ownership [to people without an affinity with the club/area]..... we were screwed. Failsworth would also have been bad IMO, although better than status quo. Maybe one day the land, tangible assets and club will be reunited under one holding company again. Fingers crossed.

14 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Merton council is obviously a lot more sensible and forward looking that the set of idiots that are councillors in Oldham

I live in Merton and can assure you they are not! AFC have worked extraordinarily hard to achieve what they have done and have been sensible in their approach. Yes, some luck is involved, and a few Kingstonian fans are none too happy. Generally a good news story in footballing terms though, from my point of view. 

12 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

We're at risk of violently agreeing here Kow..... although I don't suppose any original Don's fans would allow you to get away with a statement as bold as, "they.... got very lucky being dumped out of the league"..... so easily.....

Oldham Council most certainly haven't done us any favours over the years though..... Sports Park 2000 was our best chance at a sustainable/competitive future.... but once the land passed into private ownership [to people without an affinity with the club/area]..... we were screwed. Failsworth would also have been bad IMO, although better than status quo. Maybe one day the land, tangible assets and club will be reunited under one holding company again. Fingers crossed.

I would love to see OMBC getting sensible andalso joining up with ORLFC (I know about the owner obvs) and having a proper vision and regeneration. Not many sites for it left I guess.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Because they got kicked out off the only operational stadium in the capital so that the football team could move in, plenty of jobs lost and heartache in that I'm sure.

The owners of the greyhound stadium had not invested in it for years. Much of it was unsafe and unusable. As a dog track it had been dying on its backside for years. A woeful experience for the punter. The track owners will not have lost out financially, the few remaining staff undoubtedly will have done. The biggest community loss has been the large Sunday market and car boot sale which took place at the Stadium. Sadly, once these things disappear, they rarely come back. It has indeed been fortuitous for AFC that they will benefit from this major development. They are not the ones making the real money here though. Given house prices in Merton (fancy a two bed terrace for £900k+?), Murky Merton will be a far happier place for the bricks n mortar brigade. All very sad for the dog track and workers involved, but a sense of homecoming for the football club. Sadly always seem to be losers where there are winners.

9 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

...that’s just over two weeks before start of the season...  how the hell are they going to be ready? 

Sky are due to televise their match at Bolton early in the season which would be a welcome bonus to both clubs, if it happens !

21 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Bury have offered 25% payment of the amount they owe HMRC-so will it be OK if I offer to do that for my tax bill?

....would it be fair to say that HMRC would set a precedent for other football clubs to use/present as evidence, if they allowed it....? Might come in handy one day if they did....!?!

20 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Bury have offered 25% payment of the amount they owe HMRC-so will it be OK if I offer to do that for my tax bill?

I don't think the tax ma will allow Bury to get away with that either.

Archived