Players linked with us

Most continentals still look more comfortable on the ball , I would have though after years of academies we should be up to that level?

We looked frightened of their skills and had two holding midfielders sat deep with one up front, not my favourite tactic as most will know.

Now that is better.

Academies wont help that much as half the players playing in them arent even English.

Things are getting better tho, that was a fairly decent team we put out last night. Add in Berahino, Stones, Sterling, Wilshere, The Ox, Barkley and Zaha who all could have played...

Edited by Monty Burns

I'm not sure parachuting 4-5 lads who played no part in qualifying into the tournament squad is the right thing to do.

Sterling and Wilshire both established senior players, same with Barkley and Ox to lesser extent, not a lot to be gained from them dropping down IMO.

I'm not sure wether it's the right thing to do or not either, but Germany/Spain in previous years have dropped down a few full international capped players to play in the 21's tournaments - they've gone on to win the tournament and continuity breeds success as then 5 or 6 of the 21's players were later involved in the World Cup wins... they know what it's like to win and play at their top of the game so it's just a case of repeating that on a bigger scale!

Going round the houses a bit but basically it's worth a crack at doing something similar one year - see where it gets us.

Cassidy had that brilliant spell at Tranmere when they were top of the league and has done next to nothing since. I hope we are signing him on the basis of more than just that prolific half a season 3 years ago.

Our strike force will be very very young if he is the Championship player. Murphy will be our oldest at 24. At 6"2 Cassidy will give us better variation in attack though.

Jake Cassidy's got 4 goals in his last 52 appearances (as per Wikipedia).

He dropped down to League 2 and eventually promoted Southend ( after hardly scoring at relegation threatened League 1 Notts County) 17 apps 12 starts+5 sub and scored no goals.

Not an inspired signing.

Who knows, hopefully it is someone who needs confidence and DK is the man for that job.

Edited by singe

If I was Liam kelly I would be looking at our intent in the transfer market to determine if I stated or not

Is it Kellys call then, as far as Im aware he is under contract for two more years so unless someone offers silly money Id expect him to be back training next week with the rest of the team.

Is it Kellys call then, as far as Im aware he is under contract for two more years so unless someone offers silly money Id expect him to be back training next week with the rest of the team.

Yeah, I'm sure Latics will only budge for silly money.

Since when where we a club that only accept offers of silly money? I suppose you suggested we should have made LJ see out his contract too?

Seems a bit slow on the signings front...still early days i suppose

Not replying to you directly, I know yours in tongue in cheek.

In the 92 League Clubs and National League there are 116 clubs.

So far, there have been 108 signings, so all but 1 for each club

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/transfers/

We've got 2 already and a third imminent.

Plus the existing players tied down.

We're ahead of many clubs and Light Years ahead of our normal situation.

Not replying to you directly, I know yours in tongue in cheek.

In the 92 League Clubs and National League there are 116 clubs.

So far, there have been 108 signings, so all but 1 for each club

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/transfers/

We've got 2 already and a third imminent.

Plus the existing players tied down.

We're ahead of many clubs and Light Years ahead of our normal situation.

Think its just the off season blues kicking in. Happy to see one in today. Prefer quality not quantity too.

Saw Cassidy playing twice for Southend last season, not the type of player I expected. Thought he was a young fox-in-the-box type going on his Tranmere form, instead he's much more of a target man. Strong, tall and athletic, not too slow either. Only issue for me is that he didn't seem particularly comfortable with the ball at his feet. We've got a lot of small strikers with no one to play them off, Cassidy could be a worthwhile player to bring in to the squad as he's still young and could develop into a good team player at this level.