I have a prediction...

That we have just signed next seasons boo boy. As sad as it sounds people will be quick to jump on this certain players back should he make the slightest mistake. In the past couple of seasons ...

Kevin Betsy

Terrel Forbes

Craig Rocastle

(Im sure theres a few more as well)

What do they all have in common?

I hope the fans will be willing to lay off the players this season, Rocastle was driven out at the start of last season, but proved he was an able player with his Swansea performance alone. He was a man possessed. Lets just be a little more patient this season!

That we have just signed next seasons boo boy. As sad as it sounds people will be quick to jump on this certain players back should he make the slightest mistake. In the past couple of seasons ...

Kevin Betsy

Terrel Forbes

Craig Rocastle

I hope the fans will be willing to lay off the players this season, Rocastle was driven out at the start of last season, but proved he was an able player with his Swansea performance alone. He was a man possessed. Lets just be a little more patient this season!

That is a ridiculous thing to say (especially the thing in common reference!) Biggest legend at BP was Roger Palmer.

Betsy Forbes were lazy and bobbins. Rocastle was ok at best. I agree the boo-boys can be asses but they had relevant reason with these clowns.

That is a ridiculous thing to say (especially the thing in common reference!) Biggest legend at BP was Roger Palmer.

Betsy Forbes were lazy and bobbins. Rocastle was ok at best. I agree the boo-boys can be asses but they had relevant reason with these clowns.

I understand what people are saying, just how many times do you hear racist comments from people in the stands? It just dramatises the situation more. As if hes doubly deviant not only is he a bad player but hes black as well. In the eyes of some narrow minded people he gets targetted for more abuse.

It may seem a stupid thing to say but i think there are certain people that will certainly be quicker to jump on the backs of one of our black players if they do something wrong. Im by no means saying its a majority of people but i have noticed it happening over the last few seasons.Edwards and Rocastle last season were often getting a lot of unwarrented stick last season when other players were putting in much much worse performances for example.

It may seem a stupid thing to say but i think there are certain people that will certainly be quicker to jump on the backs of one of our black players if they do something wrong. Im by no means saying its a majority of people but i have noticed it happening over the last few seasons.Edwards and Rocastle last season were often getting a lot of unwarrented stick last season when other players were putting in much much worse performances for example.

I agree. It may not be widespread but we certainly have our fair share of racist fans. I heard several comments at Crewe directed towards Paul Edwards and these weren't related to his performance on the pitch.

Anyone who was at Hartlepool a few years ago will remember some shocking racism by a fairly large contingent of muppets from Oldham.

I do however believe that the abuse towards Forbes etc was down to their style and standard of play rather than their colour. As has been said, Rob Scott and Richard Butcher were abused just as much - if not more. Let's face it, Latics fans will have a pop at the players no matter what.

Think you are way off the mark there - its down to the attitude of the player and them giving there all; people forgive lack of talent as long as they see the commitment from the player.

Its already been said that that those you have mentioned were lazy not because of the colour of their skin;

Betsy (who I personally liked) could go missing in games and woudlnt beat his man - I did think him being played out of position jsut never helped him.

Forbes was afraid of tackling and got nosebleeds if he went past the half-way line - again i personally thoguht he was okay and better than Holden whom he replaced - at the end thoguh he had to go the man was a shambles and afraid of going on the pitch.

Rocastle - this came from him I think just not being the same sort of player as McDonald or Wellens and he tended to stroll at the start of his career at Latics - however he won over the Latics fans with his get at em attitude - so I disagree he was a target of the boo-boys.

Your theory also falls down as the biggest target in recent times has been Butcher - the fella had to go out on loan to get soem confidence back - now you arent telling me it was down to the colour of his skin - it was because he came along and didnt work - when he did actually work, people actually got on side with him; thoguh he then compounded it by jsut strolling off at the end of each game and not responding to the fans. I can understand why he did it but he never helped himself.

Branston was never a favourite and the boo-boys got on his back, he tried but he wasnt good enough; Rob Scott was just poor people got on his back - none were black.

I am not saying there arent ignorant bigots in the crowd, but to state that JP will be targeted due to his skin colour is frankly crap - what about Davies, will he be targeted as well?

Your wide of the mark on this occasion fella.

I do however believe that the abuse towards Forbes etc was down to their style and standard of play rather than their colour. As has been said, Rob Scott and Richard Butcher were abused just as much - if not more. Let's face it, Latics fans will have a pop at the players no matter what.

lol yeah i agree with Forbes i thought he was rubbish, but too comical to boo you never knew where the ball might go when he touched it :)

I agree. It may not be widespread but we certainly have our fair share of racist fans. I heard several comments at Crewe directed towards Paul Edwards and these weren't related to his performance on the pitch.

Anyone who was at Hartlepool a few years ago will remember some shocking racism by a fairly large contingent of muppets from Oldham.

I understand people may be surprised by this post especially from me, but the fact is we still live in a racist society, if we didnt this post wouldnt even have been thought of! The fact is and i must stress a minority of oldham fans are more likely to throw racist comments to black players, and such abuse may pass on to the younger nieve fans. I have sat in the chaddy end a couple of times last season close to the singers and have heard many racist comments, unfortunately younger kids pick them up and also abuse the certain player. I am nop means saying oldham fans are racist, just that certain individuals are. Anyways i hope my prediction is proven wrong, i fancy Kalala on the back of my tangerine shirt in the summer!

Think you are way off the mark there - its down to the attitude of the player and them giving there all; people forgive lack of talent as long as they see the commitment from the player.

Its already been said that that those you have mentioned were lazy not because of the colour of their skin;

Betsy (who I personally liked) could go missing in games and woudlnt beat his man - I did think him being played out of position jsut never helped him.

Forbes was afraid of tackling and got nosebleeds if he went past the half-way line - again i personally thoguht he was okay and better than Holden whom he replaced - at the end thoguh he had to go the man was a shambles and afraid of going on the pitch.

Rocastle - this came from him I think just not being the same sort of player as McDonald or Wellens and he tended to stroll at the start of his career at Latics - however he won over the Latics fans with his get at em attitude - so I disagree he was a target of the boo-boys.

Your theory also falls down as the biggest target in recent times has been Butcher - the fella had to go out on loan to get soem confidence back - now you arent telling me it was down to the colour of his skin - it was because he came along and didnt work - when he did actually work, people actually got on side with him; thoguh he then compounded it by jsut strolling off at the end of each game and not responding to the fans. I can understand why he did it but he never helped himself.

Branston was never a favourite and the boo-boys got on his back, he tried but he wasnt good enough; Rob Scott was just poor people got on his back - none were black.

I am not saying there arent ignorant bigots in the crowd, but to state that JP will be targeted due to his skin colour is frankly crap - what about Davies, will he be targeted as well?

Your wide of the mark on this occasion fella.

I appreciate your commenst this is just simply an opinion, i have heard many fans not only abuse a player because they are crap but followed by a racist remark. I believe however if a player is poor and is black they may be given less time to prove themselves than others. Rocastle was bood probably in his 2/3rd game he played. I understand there are others who arent' black who are boo boys i was just simply stating how people are quick to jump on certain individuals backs. Lets just forget i said anything!

Of course there are a few people - but thats society and as Latics fans represent a cross-section of society you will get people. However by making your statement you are saying it will be more than one or two and that Latics fans in general target black players - which is untrue.

We cannot stop the odd individuals popping up - deal with them there and then, i have heard them in the chaddy end but if I see who it is - its a case of STFU idiot. However don't try and make a bigger deal of it than it si by making such statements on the board.

If Roger Palmer returns to BP - the fella will be given a heros reception; so please dont try and put the general latics fans in the same category as the minority of idiots.

Rocky was not a Boo boy contestant.

The guys a living legend

He is now and he rammed such commenst down the throats of fans by his mint performance at swansea where he was a demon posessed. But at the start of the season i for one recall him being booed when he came on. Anyways lets forget it. My comments were not meant to be directed at Oldham fans as a whole simply certain biggots. I hope if people do hear such comments they would pipe up and say something. To allow such comments to go ignored i believe is racist in itself.

Edited by Blue_Guru

Well said.

I think i have just posted my last post on JK, i posted the same post as on here, yes it is controversial yet i have been slaughtered by the majority of the posters on there. Where on here people have disagreed and rightly so everyone is entitled to their opinion, no personal comments were thrown my way. I think there is a great messageboard here with posters wanting to have genuine debates rather than slanging matches. Thankyou mods and posters keep up the good and pleasant work!

I remember seeing two black fans sticking up for Betsy when he was getting the dogs' at Colchester way back when. They actually said that he was getting it because he was black. Also, the general gist of the complaints was that he was lazy - a familiar stereotype. However, Betsy was lazy, in the same way that Liddle has been more than enough times - he didn't like a tackle and he would not chase people down. It's a tricky, but as long as you don't think that a player is lazy (or whatever) because he is black, I think it's okay to make your views known.

Also, I seem to recall that Everton didn't have a black player for years before - I think - Daniel Amocachi went there. Everyone back then regarded Everton as being a bit racist.

I remember seeing two black fans sticking up for Betsy when he was getting the dogs' at Colchester way back when. They actually said that he was getting it because he was black. Also, the general gist of the complaints was that he was lazy - a familiar stereotype. However, Betsy was lazy, in the same way that Liddle has been more than enough times - he didn't like a tackle and he would not chase people down. It's a tricky, but as long as you don't think that a player is lazy (or whatever) because he is black, I think it's okay to make your views known.

Also, I seem to recall that Everton didn't have a black player for years before - I think - Daniel Amocachi went there. Everyone back then regarded Everton as being a bit racist.

That Everton myth is interesting and possibly something that was put up by their neighbours. Mike Trebilcock played for Everton in The Sixties scoring twice in the 1966 Cup Final but the "legend" has it that Amokachi was their first black player. The first black Liverpool Player was Howard Gayle who joined in 1977.

For those who remembered those years, racism was rife. Black players were few and far between which is unthinkable now.

There isn't room for any kind of racism in football but when you think back to those days, it makes you realise the massive progress that has been made.

I think i have just posted my last post on JK, i posted the same post as on here, yes it is controversial yet i have been slaughtered by the majority of the posters on there. Where on here people have disagreed and rightly so everyone is entitled to their opinion, no personal comments were thrown my way. I think there is a great messageboard here with posters wanting to have genuine debates rather than slanging matches. Thankyou mods and posters keep up the good and pleasant work!

Sorry Ross, but as I said in reply to your post on JK, to insinuate that JPK will be the new target of the 'boo boys' because he is black - like Betsy, Rocky and Forbes, is utter, utter :censored:. In my opinion, like.

All your point proved was that the 3 of them had been abused and all happened to be black, Along with Butcher, Branston, Scott, Warne (in his first season) Bonner, Bonner, Boshell, Porter last year (remember the 'Gail' jibes?) who don't.

Oh, and just to remind you, I think it was YOU who resorted to calling people 'plebs'.

Edited by Ackey
Do NOT try to avoid the swear filter please!

Kevin Betsy

Terrel Forbes

Craig Rocastle

Utterly ridiculous post, in my view. Betsy was very inconsistent and, at times, embarassingly lazy. Forbes was gash. Rocky started so badly but did improve - and people laid off him. I'm not saying they deserved to be booed, just that it didn't happen on account of race.

Like others have said, white players have also suffered and, whilst there will always be a minority of racists in any football crowd, JP won't be singled out by the masses, even most of the 'boo-boys', on that basis.

I've just had another look through the thread on JK. Where exactly were you slaughtered in any sense other than that no-one agreed with you? No one laid into YOU, just the opinion you posted.

You called someone a pleb though.

I think you need to get a spine. You even suggested that you didn't intend for people to respond! It's a message board! Duh!

Your latest post seems to suggest that the "nasty" people have upset you?

Doesn't matter what colour a player is, if he plays crap, he gets abuse from the fans, warranted or not. That's football!! He could be Martian Green (apologies to any Martians reading this) for all I care, if he's wearing the shirt, he gets the support. Simple.