I have a prediction...

After the good feeling of the last two days after signing Davies and Kalala and the talk that maybe Richie and Chrissy P may stay someone comes up with this nonsense about racism!!

Let's just remember some of our best ever players were black, ie Roger Palmer, Earl Barrett I don't remember them being targeted by the booboys!

If you don't like it when everyone disagrees with you then don't post such controversial crap!!

That we have just signed next seasons boo boy. As sad as it sounds people will be quick to jump on this certain players back should he make the slightest mistake. In the past couple of seasons ...

Kevin Betsy

Terrel Forbes

Craig Rocastle

(Im sure theres a few more as well)

What do they all have in common?

I hope the fans will be willing to lay off the players this season, Rocastle was driven out at the start of last season, but proved he was an able player with his Swansea performance alone. He was a man possessed. Lets just be a little more patient this season!

If a player is bad then they will be booed. It just so happened our worst 2 players last season were black (Rocastle and Edwards) but they would have been booed just as much if they had been white or any other colour. A bad player is a bad player regardless of colour. Lomax is coloured but I don't recall anyone booing him. Why? Because he is a good player!

Edited by Inspiral_Carpet
Personal Abuse

That we have just signed next seasons boo boy. As sad as it sounds people will be quick to jump on this certain players back should he make the slightest mistake. In the past couple of seasons ...

Kevin Betsy

Terrel Forbes

Craig Rocastle

(Im sure theres a few more as well)

What do they all have in common?

I hope the fans will be willing to lay off the players this season, Rocastle was driven out at the start of last season, but proved he was an able player with his Swansea performance alone. He was a man possessed. Lets just be a little more patient this season!

I can understand this comment.

The last game of the 2006/2007 season I saw most of the Oldham squad, on a night out in Oldham.

I got chatting to Terrell Forbes (drunkenly) I will never forget this conversation because it was quite deep and I believe that he was genuinely upset. He was saying how he thought he was performing well at the beginning of the season, also that when the confidence is low it doesn’t help being targeted and booed by your own fans.

He also was saying how he had never experienced this at any other club, and that our fans made him afraid to but the shirt on and walk out onto the pitch because he didn’t know what to expect next – at this point I was feeling quite sorry for him.

He asked me if our club was racist because he couldn’t believe some of the comments he had heard, he also mentioned the Oldham riots as more proof to say that our town and club is racist and had issues with race, I told him that you can’t judge people from the uneducated and ignorant minority that are racist.

I think that our fans turned him into a nervous wreck because that was the impression he was giving off – look at him now, highly rated at a club that just missed promotion, he also won player of the season. So how is it that he can play that well at another club but not ours? You have to ask yourself that question, because I happened to rate him at the start of the season.

I’m not saying that every supporter of Oldham Athletic is a racist but I have also heard a lot of race based comments. It does happen.

Booing players is simply ridiculous anyway; if a player is wearing the shirt they should be supported 110%. What will boo and verbally abusing them achieve? Nothing, it will only lower confidence and make matters worse. Not only that though, but I believe that its very embarrassing – other fans hear us booing and shouting abuse at our own players, what will they think? Very very embarrassing.

You could only imagine my conversation with Forbes that night, because he said a lot of other saddening things. For the first time in my life I was actually ashamed to admit that I was a Latics fan.

: Rant over

I can understand this comment.

The last game of the 2006/2007 season I saw most of the Oldham squad, on a night out in Oldham.

I got chatting to Terrell Forbes (drunkenly) I will never forget this conversation because it was quite deep and I believe that he was genuinely upset. He was saying how he thought he was performing well at the beginning of the season, also that when the confidence is low it doesn’t help being targeted and booed by your own fans.

He also was saying how he had never experienced this at any other club, and that our fans made him afraid to but the shirt on and walk out onto the pitch because he didn’t know what to expect next – at this point I was feeling quite sorry for him.

He asked me if our club was racist because he couldn’t believe some of the comments he had heard, he also mentioned the Oldham riots as more proof to say that our town and club is racist and had issues with race, I told him that you can’t judge people from the uneducated and ignorant minority that are racist.

I think that our fans turned him into a nervous wreck because that was the impression he was giving off – look at him now, highly rated at a club that just missed promotion, he also won player of the season. So how is it that he can play that well at another club but not ours? You have to ask yourself that question, because I happened to rate him at the start of the season.

I’m not saying that every supporter of Oldham Athletic is a racist but I have also heard a lot of race based comments. It does happen.

Booing players is simply ridiculous anyway; if a player is wearing the shirt they should be supported 110%. What will boo and verbally abusing them achieve? Nothing, it will only lower confidence and make matters worse. Not only that though, but I believe that its very embarrassing – other fans hear us booing and shouting abuse at our own players, what will they think? Very very embarrassing.

You could only imagine my conversation with Forbes that night, because he said a lot of other saddening things. For the first time in my life I was actually ashamed to admit that I was a Latics fan.

: Rant over

Well said and quite moving. I think another factor is that younger folk (me included) have had this idea of racism rammed into our heads so much that we consider everything to be racist.

I think it was pretty brave to post something like that, all the lad was doing was speaking his mind, and i believe this is a place for speaking your mind.

As for the post itself, i think what your saying is that coloured players are "quicker" to be slagged/booed by the bigoted minority we may still have/or have, and that, although you didnt say it, there are white players who have been booed just that these players seem to have been given a bit more patience due to their skin colour.

There could be some truth in this as a possible/actual cause for coloured players seemingly given more stick quicker. All possibles and porbables i suppose, as im sure most latics fans ,who boo/slag players as a form of stick, would boo/slag a player on the basis of their ability while a small minority will do so because of skin colour yet whether this influences the larger majority to then boo/slag a player, i guess we'll never know for certain.

Sorry for the essay style approach to my post, done plenty at uni so its a habit now when im writing.

Hopefully you feel you got value for money as i get student loan :grin: lol i knew two years of sociology at college wud come in handy for something too lol :grin:

I think it was pretty brave to post something like that, all the lad was doing was speaking his mind, and i believe this is a place for speaking your mind.

As for the post itself, i think what your saying is that coloured players are "quicker" to be slagged/booed by the bigoted minority we may still have/or have, and that, although you didnt say it, there are white players who have been booed just that these players seem to have been given a bit more patience due to their skin colour.

There could be some truth in this as a possible/actual cause for coloured players seemingly given more stick quicker. All possibles and porbables i suppose, as im sure most latics fans ,who boo/slag players as a form of stick, would boo/slag a player on the basis of their ability while a small minority will do so because of skin colour yet whether this influences the larger majority to then boo/slag a player, i guess we'll never know for certain.

Sorry for the essay style approach to my post, done plenty at uni so its a habit now when im writing.

Hopefully you feel you got value for money as i get student loan :grin: lol i knew two years of sociology at college wud come in handy for something too lol :grin:

you cant knock him for posting his opinions,whether they are right or wrong its his opinion.

thankfully racism in football isnt as bad as it used to be,for instance in the 80's people actually threw bananas onto the pitch,and you had monkey chants!!!

but anyone who thinks it doesnt still go on to some degree are very naive.

boshel,branston,bonner,clegg,allott,mcniven all got the boo boy treatment,boshells was by far the worse.

Most of this has already been said and debated on this thread, I would just like to say the initial point made about racism is a valid one.

Unfortunately some sections of society are racist and some small sections of Latics fans are racist, that doesn't mean that all black players are booed and subjected to racist chants.

You will always get the idiot element of society and unfortunately a small number of these are Latics fans.

I think generally players who pull on the Latics shirt are supported by the vast majority of genuine Latics fans, regardless of their colour.

Most of this has already been said and debated on this thread, I would just like to say the initial point made about racism is a valid one.

Unfortunately some sections of society are racist and some small sections of Latics fans are racist, that doesn't mean that all black players are booed and subjected to racist chants.

You will always get the idiot element of society and unfortunately a small number of these are Latics fans.

I think generally players who pull on the Latics shirt are supported by the vast majority of genuine Latics fans, regardless of their colour.

I agree with what you say. We can discuss all day whether the colour of their skin has a bearing on the booing, but if we leave that aside and just concentrate on the booing for a minute.

I have been sickened by the number of people on here and JKL prepared to justify the booing of Latics' players because they are not playing well. This is the one aspect of following latics home and away that I would like to eradicate, but obviously I can't. It beats me how anyone thinks that a player picked by Shez, or one brought on by him as a sub, deserves to have every ounce of confidence knocked out of him by a small minority of Latics' fans booing him.

If a player is so bad that he shouldn't be wearing the shirt, Shez will get rid of him. If anyone thinks Shez isn't getting rid soon enough that's tough - you either have faith in Shez's judgement or you don't.

On rare occasions a player does something stupid and gets sent off, letting the team, the Club and the fans down. Does he get booed - no, he gets cheered and applauded as he leaves the field!

This board has 466 members - that's about 10% of the hardcore fans. Therefore it's a representative cross-section of opinion. In an ideal world I would love it if we could all agree to stop booing Latics' players. Then the players might start to say that the fans are different class.

Guest sheridans_world
'ashamed to be a Latics fan' - NEVER! I will always be proud to come from Oldham and be a Latics fan...wart n all!

Racism...never. Chrissy Taylor is a ginger and we all hail him as The Messiah!

You saying he's the messiah cos he's ginger?

I agree with what you say. We can discuss all day whether the colour of their skin has a bearing on the booing, but if we leave that aside and just concentrate on the booing for a minute.

I have been sickened by the number of people on here and JKL prepared to justify the booing of Latics' players because they are not playing well. This is the one aspect of following latics home and away that I would like to eradicate, but obviously I can't. It beats me how anyone thinks that a player picked by Shez, or one brought on by him as a sub, deserves to have every ounce of confidence knocked out of him by a small minority of Latics' fans booing him.

If a player is so bad that he shouldn't be wearing the shirt, Shez will get rid of him. If anyone thinks Shez isn't getting rid soon enough that's tough - you either have faith in Shez's judgement or you don't.

On rare occasions a player does something stupid and gets sent off, letting the team, the Club and the fans down. Does he get booed - no, he gets cheered and applauded as he leaves the field!

This board has 466 members - that's about 10% of the hardcore fans. Therefore it's a representative cross-section of opinion. In an ideal world I would love it if we could all agree to stop booing Latics' players. Then the players might start to say that the fans are different class.

well said, i wish the booing would stop altogether and we would be one of those teams with a set of fans who just gets behind the team constantly from start to finish whatever is being served up on the pitch! I think it is improving slightly since shez has taken over and the optomism is coming back.

I dont know about anyone else but does anyone think the reason that some of our fans are quick to turn against the team is due to an over-inflated opinion about the status of our club due to the "pinch me" seasons?...speaking to some fans and listening to a few talk in the pub games etc i get the feeling that some people believe we should still be knocking around in the premiership or at least have a god given right to be in the championship and that we are a lot bigger than many teams we face in this division...hence if we are not battering people or players are cocking up they are quick to get on players backs!