Having just seen the highlights, I'm not convinced that Coleman was at fault. The ball was slung over from their left wing, so Coleman's positioning was pretty much spot on for that. He'd never have got to the cross because it was hit so high out of his reach. I'm not convinced that the header was even meant to be on target, more an attempt to just get it back in the mix. The fact that it looped up so much, more or less took Coleman out of the game. I don't think Lafferty should have been beaten to the header, anyway.

High looping headers, or shots of any kind, are one of the most difficult efforts for a goalkeeper to deal with. Think of all the free kicks you see that are hit up and over the wall, starting at a point way over the crossbar and then dropping. Remember Robbie Simpson's header at Nottingham Forest in the cup? I, for one, thought it was going over the bar, but then it dropped in over Lee Camp, who's no mug at the goalkeeping lark.

So many are saying that neither Coleman nor Cornell are League 1 keepers. That's a bit different from the latter stages of last season when it was more or less universally agreed that Coleman deserved to be No1 and will go on to have a great career. I think Dunn shattered his confidence when he dropped him far too quickly instead of staying with him and then sticking with Cornell who dropped bollock after bollock. That won't have done Coleman's confidence any good knowing he can't get in the team when his rival was able to keep the shirt when he wasn't deserving of it.

Coleman, remember, is only 20. Goalkeepers don't normally reach their peak until late 20s/early 30s, so he has a lot of developing to do. The lad needs a confidence boost and that can be achieved in two ways. 1) you stick with him and accept that he will make mistakes, but will develop with the right coaching or, 2) put an arm round his shoulder, say "We're deep in the :censored: here, lad. It puts you under a lot of pressure because of your inexperience, but you need to keep playing first team football." Then, once he understands it is for his own development, let him go out on loan and let him realise that he will be a better keeper when he comes back.

Cornell? Let him go to anyone who'll have him and bring in an experienced keeper, if one is available. Alternatively, bring in a real talent from a Championship/Premier League club who can't quite oust the current incumbent, but would, like Coleman if he goes out on loan, benefit from first team football.

I think Coleman could well blossom into a decent keeper but to I can't go along with the suggestion he's not at fault for that goal. Whether he comes for the cross or not he needs to be more decisive either way but it's not so much that as the fact the ball was in the air that long he should have scrambled back and got to it.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well does anybody still think Coleman is the answer? .......kicking atrocious , flapping at crosses and as for the goal. Good job it wasn't Cornell

I think Cornell is :censored:. But I still wouldn't have blamed him for James Wilson and his pathetic attempts at defending

Well does anybody still think Coleman is the answer? .......kicking atrocious , flapping at crosses and as for the goal. Good job it wasn't Cornell

Yes, Coleman is still the answer but you're asking the wrong question.

Both Coleman and Cornell will let goals in but Coleman will develop. He needs games to learn his craft and we need to be patient. The defence help neither keeper but fast forward 18 months, Coleman will earn us money.

Yes, Coleman is still the answer but you're asking the wrong question.

Both Coleman and Cornell will let goals in but Coleman will develop. He needs games to learn his craft and we need to be patient. The defence help neither keeper but fast forward 18 months, Coleman will earn us money.

This.

Not getting at least one central defender in has not only handicapped whichever keeper goes in net but also presented Sheridan with an impossible task.

I'm sorry but what the actual :censored: are some of you talking about! We are in a relegation place and it's looking like relegation yet people think we should give Coleman 'time to develop' he can do that on loan at a league 2 side we need a keeper for now not 18 months down the line.

Would have been 2 nil if he hadn't rushed their lad into hitting the bar. Don't think he's good enough yet but, he's the better of the 2. renshaw maybe should be given a chance, not seen him play though yet. Sounds like he's doing very well for the youths though.

Edited by we hate man,u and city to

The pair - and the previous managements treatment of Coleman in particular - have nailed on our relegation.

I find it unbelievable that despite our other issues, a new goalkeeper is not our number one priority.

Neither are upto the job and both are entirely inconsistent in their decision making which leaves those in front with no chance. The lack of communication defensively is killing us and its part of the goalkeepers job to address that. They are - and look - out of their depth.

Why did we get rid of Rabchuka? We are crying out for an experienced goalkeeper to organise the defense. I feel sorry for Coleman. I hope we dont ruin his career.

LJ's treatment of Rachubka was one of the strangest things he did whilst here.

Granted his shot stopping was below average and he made a few errors but the defence in front of him was very settled when he played and we only lost 5 of 33 league games with him in goal. With Oxley and Kenny before him and Kean, Cornell and (to an extent) Coleman since, we've shown that it isn't easy for us to get adequate keepers in. Why LJ didn't even keep him on as back up after the Kenny debacle is baffling.

Anyway, regarding the Coleman/Cornell debate. Neither are currently good enough and a new keeper should be 2nd priority behind a new centre back. But out of the two I'd rather give playing time to the 20 year old youth product who's previously shown glimpses of quality, than give time to a 24 year old who has barely played league football before coming here and has made a lot of errors and fumbles this season.

Why did we get rid of Rabchuka? We are crying out for an experienced goalkeeper to organise the defense. I feel sorry for Coleman. I hope we dont ruin his career.

The most underestimated factor in our current decline.

Not just for the goalkeeping crisis it left but the message it sent to the squad. Johnson told them nobody was indespensible - They stopped believing we were all in it together. Collectively we haven't recovered.