Anthony Gerrard's back

Delayed announcement to scupper their prep. Let's hope it works!

It seemed odd that Monday night's phone-in only referred to the deal for the new centre half being 95% certain, when he had actually signed.

The Chron tells the 'cloak and dagger' story and also confirms Corney values highly League One status.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/96404/gerrard-im-here-to-keep-us-up

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seemed odd that Monday night's phone-in only referred to the deal for the new centre half being 95% certain, when he had actually signed.

The Chron tells the 'cloak and dagger' story and also confirms Corney values highly League One status.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/96404/gerrard-im-here-to-keep-us-up

By not announcing it meant that Shrewsbury would have got a surprise when he turned up with us, and they did. Worked a treat and they would have chucked their scouting notes out of the window with a different type of centre half in the opposition back 4 than what they prepared for.

Genius move from shez!

Edited by super_blue

Guest nonaenever

what's the surprise? Philly always had goals in him - he's just been used almost as a utility player at BP for a while now and we (the fans) have always taken him for granted somewhat. Stick Philly up front consistently for a full season, with the right support/service, and he will always bag around 15 per season. We just never used him that way - whether that's right or wrong only great footballing minds like David Dunn can answer. Perhaps he really was more valuable in a midfield role when we had more midfield players than you could shake a stick at? lol

By not announcing it meant that Shrewsbury would have got a surprise when he turned up with us, and they did. Worked a treat and they would have chucked their scouting notes out of the window with a different type of centre half in the opposition back 4 than what they prepared for.

Genius move from shez!

The Shrews must have parped their pants when he rocked up in the tunnel. Great move by Sheridan.

Do we think he's got the potential to be our new Gregan? Nice to have a leader that the fans can get excited about!

Edited by flytrap

£10????? That Yorkshire influence has tightened round your wallet for such a pledge

I've already made my pledges this season and others to Playershare on other events so don't worry my purse strings are flexible .

So are you matching it ? Do you have faith in Philiskirk to get the goals?

I'm delighted hes back and hes just what we need right now, but hes not Championship standard. Always got the impression he had a high view of himself.

Good League One defender, nothing more nothing less.

Anthony Gerrard for free or a £3.5 million Sebastian Coates in Latics defence. A tricky one.

Indian giver! 9 goals my arse!

So all your talk of how we will miss him and how his goals would have made the difference to us - and how he will score goals for Blackpool - you're not prepared to back up?

You really should stay absolutely silent about him

from now on

My pledge to playershare of £10 if he scores 9 or more for Blackpool this season still stands .

Cluck cluck

So all your talk of how we will miss him and how his goals would have made the difference to us - and how he will score goals for Blackpool - you're not prepared to back up?

You really should stay absolutely silent about him

from now on

My pledge to playershare of £10 if he scores 9 or more for Blackpool this season still stands .

Cluck cluck

You obviously do not understand mathematical probability. Empty gesture and a cheap one at that!

'Decent League 1 sides were saying no', so I joined Latics.

What the club has become...

He was wanting about £6k a week.

His valuation of himself clearly didn't match those who could afford to pay it.

We've obviously struck some form of compromise with him, but again, dare I say it, well done to Corney for contacting him and sorting this one out. It could prove a huge moment if we stay up.

It wasn't just heading on Tuesday. He was yelling at players. When Dieng put his body on the line to dive in and head clear (which we haven't been doing), Gerrard smacked him in the chest and shouted positively at him. He was pumping them all up - and it was vital to us hanging on in the final few minutes. The whole back line, and Palmer and Kelly in front of them, followed suit - it was so different, it was a winning mentality.