Replacement for Porter

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should go for Leon Constantine from Port Vale.

We could use the wages we was on porter on him as

he is out of contract.

Who would you all want as a replacement for him?

I appreciate the quality of constantine but the last thig we need is another nippy, quick goalscorer... we have Hughes, Wolfy and Davies.... we need to get some bulk and strength up there to provide another option...

For me there is one blatant option, and pretty sure shez will be looking into it, and that is Clarke - he is absolutley exactly what we need, power and strenth to add to our natural goalscorers - a year loan will be spot on, and good for bothe the wendies and us.... secondly, i'd look to get in Peter Thorne, not as big, but can definitely lead the line.... after that, just get a big lump in - a Poul Hubertz, or Enoch Showumni...

Sorry, but constantine is definitely not what we need...

I appreciate the quality of constantine but the last thig we need is another nippy, quick goalscorer... we have Hughes, Wolfy and Davies.... we need to get some bulk and strength up there to provide another option...

For me there is one blatant option, and pretty sure shez will be looking into it, and that is Clarke - he is absolutley exactly what we need, power and strenth to add to our natural goalscorers - a year loan will be spot on, and good for bothe the wendies and us.... secondly, i'd look to get in Peter Thorne, not as big, but can definitely lead the line.... after that, just get a big lump in - a Poul Hubertz, or Enoch Showumni...

Sorry, but constantine is definitely not what we need...

You dont need to say sorry lad as its all about what you think

i see where you are coming from with what you saying about with Clarke being

big and strong but Constantine is a big strong player couls see it working really well with 2 lads up front

who a natural goalscorers as players all ways go on a bad run we would not be dependable on one

player to be putting the ball in the back of the net like last season as we was with porter!!!!

We could still look at getting a big lump in as you said Poul Hubertz, or Enoch Showumni or Clake or A.N Other, was Poul the las for millwall??

who come on and chaged the game last season?

Edited by Stevie_J
BR, you can use the edit function to tidy up your posts.

You dont need to say sorry lad as its all about what you think

i see where you are coming from with what you saying about with Clarke being

big and strong but Constantine is a big strong player couls see it working really well with 2 lads up front

who a natural goalscorers as players all ways go on a bad run we would not be dependable on one

player to be putting the ball in the back of the net like last season as we was with porter!!!!

We could still look at getting a big lump in as you said Poul Hubertz, or Enoch Showumni or Clake or A.N Other, was Poul the las for millwall??

who come on and chaged the game last season?

Would be good for when you ar

I really see Constantine being very similar to clarke - but without the physical strength he can bring... constantine is well know for shirking work/challenges... I know you may say that about Clarke... but think with a bit more fitness he could be a really intimidating presnece... shez is known to like a target man - think that is top of his shopping list...

Agree with what you that we need more than one goalscorr (when was the last time that happened!!??) but think we have that with Hughess, Davies and Wolfy... just think we really need a totally different options....

Yeah - Hubertz was that guy from millwall.... just think he would be a great option, imaine having a 6'7" target you could throw on and have hughes and davies run off - would be perfect for killing off those pants sides that we struggled against last season... and just frustrate team like Millwall did to us.... I think he would be available with the signing of Harris and alexander...

Speaking of Millwall - is byfield still in thory available??? (not that I want him! but if he stays at millwall he Huberts would be available..) As for Showumni, he is definitely free to go... feeling down here in bristol is hat he ahs "reached his level" and they want more quality than last season - they always mention him in swap deals for other players.... and was prominently down here when it was rumoured for porter - I would ahve him ina second... a great option...

Edited by BigfinLatic

I really see Constantine being very similar to clarke - but without the physical strength he can bring... constantine is well know for shirking work/challenges... I know you may say that about Clarke... but think with a bit more fitness he could be a really intimidating presnece... shez is known to like a target man - think that is top of his shopping list...

Agree with what you that we need more than one goalscorr (when was the last time that happened!!??) but think we have that with Hughess, Davies and Wolfy... just think we really need a totally different options....

Yeah - Hubertz was that guy from millwall.... just think he would be a great option, imaine having a 6'7" target you could throw on and have hughes and davies run off - would be perfect for killing off those pants sides that we struggled against last season... and just frustrate team like Millwall did to us.... I think he would be available with the signing of Harris and alexander...

Speaking of Millwall - is byfield still in thory available??? (not that I want him! but if he stays at millwall he Huberts would be available..) As for Showumni, he is definitely free to go... feeling down here in bristol is hat he ahs "reached his level" and they want more quality than last season - they always mention him in swap deals for other players.... and was prominently down here when it was rumoured for porter - I would ahve him ina second... a great option...

Will just have to what Shez will go for so far he has suprised a few of us with

the players who he as brought in but very happy with what he is doing.

Not sure on Byfield if he is still available,

For the last time we had a team full of goals im sure we woud have to

back to the season we won the league 1990/91 season and what a season!!!

Could the option not already be under our noses in the form of Glombard ??? In the few games he appeared in he seemed to create a presence and look to dominate the defenders and provide a bit of muscle whih we were sadly lacking on occasion. Could be a 'cheaper option' now we appear to be being relieved of the Porter money and the restrictions that may bring. :unsure:

Could the option not already be under our noses in the form of Glombard ??? In the few games he appeared in he seemed to create a presence and look to dominate the defenders and provide a bit of muscle whih we were sadly lacking on occasion. Could be a 'cheaper option' now we appear to be being relieved of the Porter money and the restrictions that may bring. :unsure:

Again, jus not a line leader though.... we need another option... huges is as strong and powerful as glombard... and a better player...

We need a 6'2", 15stone powerhouse mimumum.... Hmmmmmmm.... If you are reading this shez - please PM me... am free immidiately :wink:

A Steve Howard type player is what we should be looking for matches the descriptions. Players like them are hard to come by at this level nowadays.

Exactly...

As a thought - what is the Horse up to nowadays??? Is he at leeds still??..... now that is the type of battering ram I'd like to see in the side...

Horsefield & Hughes up front - erm... yes please.... not everyones cup of tea, but that is a powerful, intimidating pairing, who would hammer this division....

TBH I don't think we can be looking at many strikers saying they're definatly not what we need; espcially players of Constaine's quality and goal scoring record. IF you look at the strikers we currently have they are Davies and Wolfenden. Yes, Porter is still on the books but it looks pretty certain he'll be off, also we don't know as of yet if Hughes will be let out. So of the 2 we are certain to have in the squad this season;

Wolfenden - Not going to score goals at this level and is never going to come on and change the game at this level.

Davies - Looks a good prospect but isn't really tried at this level.

Hughes - will he still have it?????

SO, IMO someone like Constantine is a pleyer we should definatly be looking at. We have all maoned and goaned for a few years now that what we lack is pace, players like Constantine, Byfield are players with that certain attribute and it seems they are both available.

I'm not desputing the fact that we may need a big target man such as Clarke, but why not have both????

If we're really looking at promotion again this year then we will need 5-6 good strikers, with 4 in the matchday squad who can really make a difference.

Maybe even, taking a gamble into the non-league, irish leagues? payed off for Reading with Doyle and look at him now! Last time we did that was with a certain Mr Andrews and Mr HAll both of whom turned out to be great signings.

Melia

I understand what your saying about a big target man but I think we also need to be careful, as I think bringing in a big lump like Hubertz would be a mistake.

Being a big target man is one thing but they have to be able to play some football as well, otherwise you end up playing long ball stuff and just punting it high upfield all the time hoping that he will win all the headers.

Akinfenwa could have been a good choice. He has now gone to Swindon on a free transfer.

Opportunity missed?

As for Porter.

Motherwell?!?!?! I know an ardent Motherwell fan, and even he thinks they're crap! Good luck to him in the backwater of football, it's a good 400 mile round journey to do every day.

Oh, silly me......I forgot, he doesn't train EVERY day!! :grin:

ive heard we're after samuel etoo, but if we dont get him, ive heard leon clarke on a season long loan :blink:

Another good shout - LLoyd Owusu..??? On a free and a proven goalscorer, injury worries yes, but worth a punt... in the Constantine/Byfield bracket in my book...

surely we should eb able to tempt him if yeovil is number 1 on the want him list....??

See terrible forbes has not signed a contract?? whadaya reckon too... worth a look??? fellas??? anyone??? :wink:

Another good shout - LLoyd Owusu..??? On a free and a proven goalscorer, injury worries yes, but worth a punt... in the Constantine/Byfield bracket in my book...

surely we should eb able to tempt him if yeovil is number 1 on the want him list....??

See terrible forbes has not signed a contract?? whadaya reckon too... worth a look??? fellas??? anyone??? :wink:

clive platt

Very good call. Could play at this level and score goals alot. Seen him play a few times for Dons and has impressed me.

Doubt we'd get him; MK Dons turned down a £300k bid for him (ludicrously) last week. He certainly ain't worth that.

We need height, and aerial presence. Porter had that plus ability in the box, so it's a loss. I feel with Davies, Hughes and Wolfy we may have some finishing power, but we don't have a target man to get the flick ons and hold the ball up. We've got to be looking at someone with good experience at this level. Wouldn't be surprised to see Thorne from Norwich here now, who would be a more than adequate replacement.

For the record, I don't really blame Porter as such, although making repeated promises to Corney and co about staying narcs me somewhat. He does have an absolute cad of an agent mind, who is set on ensuring Chris never pulls on a Latics shirt ever again. I get the feeling that he has a lot of influence on CP and unfortunately could now have a negative impact on his career. Of course he may learn that when he's on football's scrapheap in 5 or so years but his agent is hardly going to tell him that. It's all now now now to them.

I reckon Sheridan may make another attempt to sign Scott Vernon. I know that he's said he wants to stay and fight for his place at Blackpool but I think we know as much as anyone that Footballers say a lot of things with no meaning.

Vernon is a much better finisher and all round player to Porter in my opinion, and I rated him very highly when he was a Latics player, I remember after his hattrick against Grimsby every shot he had was towards the top corner. Before he left for Blackpool his ability in the air was improving, and if the fee is small I don't see why we shouldn't bring him back.

Edited by Microcuts

He signed an extension with b/pool

Pah, details... just shove a blue shirt on him, Grayson wont notice....

Vernon is the ready made replacement for Porter.... still convinced Porter, Killen and Vernon are all the same person - have you ever seen them in a room together... have you.. Have you??? :wink:

Vernon would be No1 in my book to replace Porter.... but I know how many people dont agree with that one... never get him though .. :disappointed: