• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember which game it was (Scunthorpe Away?) but Sheridan came out afterwards and publicly backed Coleman as his No. 1

That my friends is how you manage the situation he was in and the player. The turnaround in performance of Coleman since then has been dramatic to say the least due to 1. Having less to do thanks to the organisation of the players in front of him and 2. Doing what he had to do with confidence culminating in an excellent display yesterday.

It all comes back to man management

Edited by Simoncorneyisgod

I saw nothing in Dunn from day one, as it transpired he was devisive and without a doubt would of taken us down, that fact people defend him is beyond me, he was as out of his depth as Kelly, slithered his way into the job and talked the talk but thankfully was found out.

Many agreed early in Dunn's tenure that it was unlikely to work: he was the wrong appointment for the situation; it was contrived and uncalibrated. The difference between you and them was that those gave him a chance to prove himself, and you were prejudiced - you can't judge a manager from day one; if you could then Kelly looked impressive after the Walsall away game.

Coleman is a very good young goalkeeper and a tremendous prospect, he will make mistakes and he will learn from them, he was a revelation last season, earlier this season we had a very poor defensive set up which to say the least had no confidence, this lack of confidence also affected the goalkeepers, make a mistake and the other ones put in, no real run of games to build your confidence back up, Shez's sorted that out by standing by Coleman. MOM against Walsall for me, four important saves/interceptions early on to keep is in the game.

Don't go overboard he's improved but is nowhere near the best option for next year. Although today he made a couple of good saves and actually caught one when we were under pressure

If he keeps this up til the end of the season he might well go for money in the summer.

Big clubs do seem to collect young goalkeepers....

Earlier in the season, Coleman did seem like a liability and justifiably at the time took some criticism.

Difficult circumstances for a new, young and wet behind the ears keeper - team low on confidence, inadequate back four in front of you etc - but we are not a charity and there were times that the lad's "learning curve" cost us points that we couldn't afford to lose.

At that time people were, IMO, rightly critical of him and were calling for a more experienced keeper to come in.

Sheridan, however decided that he had enough to do alright and that the better option was publically back him and improve the team in front of him.

At the time I wasn't sure that this was ideal, but if we had limited number of players that we could bring in, then I probably agreed I'd prefer to have Gerrard than another keeper.

Sheridan was spot on, and based on the last few games it seems as though Coleman has really come on in leaps and bounds.

I'd say in terms of next season, id take the same approach. Keep him as number one and improve the rest of the team.

So what do we do next season -

1) Get an old keeper / (and maybe coach) on the understanding that unless there is a major dip in his form Coleman will be number 1 ?

2) Same as above but have Coleman on the bench waiting for a chance like most young keepers?

3) Do we get a bargain basement keeper to challenge Coleman every step of the way?

Edited by Stagger Lee

1) Get an old keeper / (and maybe coach) on the understanding that unless there is a major dip in his form Coleman will be number 1 ?

2) Same as above but have Coleman on the bench waiting for a chance like most young keepers?

3) Do we get a bargain basement keeper to challenge Coleman every step of the way?

The obvious one for me is (1), but if the cost of that means that we don't have a Palmer / Gerrard type in the team then (3)

Option 3 our good form has been built on a strong defence use the budget for the top end of the pitch.

Because half of our core arent our players and they are the better players

Partially agree, but even the loanees aren't good enough for some and the players we thought were good last summer have mostly shown that they are. I can't see why we wouldn't want to keep much as we are if possible.

Why are people so desperate to change any of the core squad we have?

Because the core of this squad has not achieved significantly in the last two years, the better players aren't ours, and despite good results we are still lacking the quality to dominate teams.

JS has made us hard to beat, and able to grind out results, but that is different to being a quality side capable of pushing for Play-Offs or better.

Am sure Shez knows this.

Because the core of this squad has not achieved significantly in the last two years, the better players aren't ours, and despite good results we are still lacking the quality to dominate teams.

JS has made us hard to beat, and able to grind out results, but that is different to being a quality side capable of pushing for Play-Offs or better.

Am sure Shez knows this.

I was including the loanees to be fair. It would be lovely to hear a top goal scorer for example but we are winning games with Main and Holloway pressing high. If that's a working model that's fine by me.

4). Promote Renshaw as number 2.

Spot on. Kelly Dunn and Holden did their best, they just weren't up to the job. The reason we've been so deep in the :censored:e this season is down to the man at the top, no one else.

Well by that logic, the reason we've half a chance of staying up is down to the man at the top and no one else, then!!

I think it fair to say Gerrard was 90% Simon Corney's singing too... Which has led to Coleman improving no end.

12 clean sheets in 28 appearances this season - 43%

Pogs had 20 clean sheets in 43 appearances in his record breaking season - 47%

Pretty impressive. 8 of those under Sheridan and I think, of those 7 of them behind a defence with Gerrard in it.

I think it still comes to a shock to a lot of fans that our defence is top six standard.

Before you start laughing, we have conceded fewer goals this season than anyone outside the top seven. Add Coleman into the mix with a good amount more experience than he has had and you can probably knock three or four goals off that total as mistakes.

Admittedly, it has been since Gerrard came in but he isn't alone in defence. J Wilson, B Wilson, Lafferty, Dummigan and Dieng have all played well.